Re: [Authentic_SCA] speaking of teaching

  • Sarah Michele Ford
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
      On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil wrote:

      > At 11:52 AM 4/1/2002 -0600, you wrote:
      > >Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate Tunics for
      > >Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think?

      <snip>

      > You absolutely should teach this at Pennsic. But you will need a different
      > name for the class in order to not scare away those who avoid anything that
      > says 'authentic'. Perhaps just 'Tunics for Beginners', or 'French and
      > English Tunics', or 'Easy Tunics for Beginners', or 'Easy Tunics', or 'How
      > to make a tunic'. Having the word 'beginners' in the title will also ward
      > off people who would benefit from such a class, though they are experienced
      > in the ways of the needle.
      >
      > Just my thoughts.

      And they are appreciated.

      Alianor

      Sarah Michele Ford
      /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
      Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
      reality is but an exception.
      --Jean Baudrillard
      \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
        At 01:36 PM 4/1/2002 -0500, you wrote:
        >How about teaching the class TWICE, though -- since there're always more
        >classes to take, doing it twice doubles your chance of avoiding a conflict?
        >That way you can teach it under two different titles, too (each of which would
        >be likely to attract, and scare off, different types of people...).
        >
        >Effingham

        And Effingham slogs his way out from beneath the pile of books to make yet
        another great suggestion! *grin*

        Smiles,
        Despina
      • Anthony J. Bryant
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
          "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:

          > At 11:52 AM 4/1/2002 -0600, you wrote:
          > >Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate Tunics for
          > >Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think? Would there be
          > >enough of an audience for such a class, especially one that would be
          > >basically a discussion of various English/French tunics and a handout with
          > >step-by-step instructions for sewing your own? (I do know that it's
          > >entirely possible for an enterprising but novice sew-er to put together a
          > >perfectly nice tunic from my directions, as one of my friends did so.)
          >
          > You absolutely should teach this at Pennsic. But you will need a different
          > name for the class in order to not scare away those who avoid anything that
          > says 'authentic'. Perhaps just 'Tunics for Beginners', or 'French and
          > English Tunics', or 'Easy Tunics for Beginners', or 'Easy Tunics', or 'How
          > to make a tunic'. Having the word 'beginners' in the title will also ward
          > off people who would benefit from such a class, though they are experienced
          > in the ways of the needle.

          Good point.

          How about teaching the class TWICE, though -- since there're always more
          classes to take, doing it twice doubles your chance of avoiding a conflict?
          That way you can teach it under two different titles, too (each of which would
          be likely to attract, and scare off, different types of people...).

          Effingham
        • Carolle M Cox
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
            I've not been to Pennsic in decades, and i'm sure the mix there has changed.
            The big question is - how many newer folks go to this huge war? If you can
            say at least two-classfuls, then go for it! If not, then you may be
            disappointed.
            YMMV, naturally.

            Gerita
          • Kate Jones
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
              Alianor sez:

              > Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate Tunics for
              > Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think? Would there be
              > enough of an audience for such a class, especially one that would be
              > basically a discussion of various English/French tunics and a handout with
              > step-by-step instructions for sewing your own? (I do know that it's
              > entirely possible for an enterprising but novice sew-er to put together a
              > perfectly nice tunic from my directions, as one of my friends did so.)

              I think it'd be a grand idea...very useful and I do believe people
              would go. Plus, a class like this that's aimed more at new people will
              help recruit more of them for our ranks... ;)

              Kat'ryna
              --
              Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
              kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
                Alianor,

                Last year I taught a class on Period style tunics. I expected at best
                8 people really, planning to see just 3 or 4. I had a class of 20.

                I had extant examples and Kass' instuctions (Her permission of
                course) I also included in the folder swatches of fabric. What is
                correct for period vs incorrect. I pulled illuminations from the web
                to show examples of tunics from the 6th to 15th century. I even
                picked some that showed trim as well as plain.

                In my class I discussed not just construction the fabrics and why and
                the use of store bought trim. What's good and bad.

                I've had several requests for the hand out since. So please teach the
                class people and not just beginners are REALLY interested.
                - Brynn

                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@s...> wrote:
                > Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate
                Tunics for
                > Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think? Would there
                be
                > enough of an audience for such a class, especially one that would be
                > basically a discussion of various English/French tunics and a
                handout with
                > step-by-step instructions for sewing your own? (I do know that it's
                > entirely possible for an enterprising but novice sew-er to put
                together a
                > perfectly nice tunic from my directions, as one of my friends did
                so.)

                > Pondering,
                > Alianor
                >
                > Sarah Michele Ford
                > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                > Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
                > reality is but an exception.
                > --Jean Baudrillard
                > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
              • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
                  So under what classification does couching come? Is it embroidery, or what?

                  Thanks,
                  Smiles,
                  Despina
                • ladybrynn
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
                    Embroidery. Definately.
                    I often see it as Couching and Laidwork.

                    You can couch a cord or metal thread down, or you can do laidwork
                    like the Bayeaux Tapestry. The basic technique is the same, using one
                    thread to hold down another. Always check period examples to see
                    which is used.

                    - Brynn

                    > So under what classification does couching come? Is it embroidery,
                    or what?

                    > Thanks,
                    > Smiles,
                    > Despina
                  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                      At 05:22 PM 4/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                      >Embroidery. Definately.
                      >I often see it as Couching and Laidwork.
                      >
                      >You can couch a cord or metal thread down, or you can do laidwork
                      >like the Bayeaux Tapestry. The basic technique is the same, using one
                      >thread to hold down another. Always check period examples to see
                      >which is used.

                      Cool. Thanks.

                      Smiles,
                      Despina de la up to something......
                    • ladybrynn
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                        Despina, You scare me when you are up to something.
                        I just finished an Anglo Saxon Design on a pouch. It is a gift for
                        Queen Yana from the Embroidery Guild. She does Viking and early
                        period so I used Wool floss and wool ground fabric (silk lined), all
                        in the same embroidery style as the Bayeuax Taperstry. The pouch is
                        design so that she can either use it to store her coronette in it or
                        just use it as a purse. (Note to self, must take pictures before
                        giving it away).

                        - Brynn

                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                          At 03:40 PM 4/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                          >Despina, You scare me when you are up to something.

                          Muhahahaha.... er, I mean, why would I scare you? *grin*

                          >I just finished an Anglo Saxon Design on a pouch. It is a gift for
                          >Queen Yana from the Embroidery Guild. She does Viking and early
                          >period so I used Wool floss and wool ground fabric (silk lined), all
                          >in the same embroidery style as the Bayeuax Taperstry. The pouch is
                          >design so that she can either use it to store her coronette in it or
                          >just use it as a purse. (Note to self, must take pictures before
                          >giving it away).

                          SOunds beautiful and yes, you must take pictures before you give it away.

                          I'm trying to get some of the embroidery for an outfit that is to be worn
                          on April 13 done. I figure if I can get the main part of the couching done
                          and sew that to the piece, it will look nicer than plain and I can go back
                          and finish the design in the two weeks before it is to be worn again.

                          It's the Hungarian vine thing that I was talking about before. So far it's
                          going very well. I do still have to actually sew the collar to the garment
                          though - no embroidery, just me being lazy. *sheepish grin*

                          Smiles,
                          Despina
                        • demontsegur
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                            Despina and other Midrealmers...

                            It looks like I'll be traveling West to Ohio for Midrealm Coronation
                            with members of my new household. I'd love to meet folks there from
                            this list. I'll be wearing a light green cote with gold buttons and a
                            gold hood, all linen. Or, I may be fighting, in which case my shield
                            is "per bend, vert and sable, two Toulouse crosses, Or." If you see
                            me, please say hello!

                            Cheers,
                            Marcele
                          • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                              At 04:42 PM 4/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                              >Despina and other Midrealmers...
                              >
                              >It looks like I'll be traveling West to Ohio for Midrealm Coronation
                              >with members of my new household. I'd love to meet folks there from
                              >this list. I'll be wearing a light green cote with gold buttons and a
                              >gold hood, all linen. Or, I may be fighting, in which case my shield
                              >is "per bend, vert and sable, two Toulouse crosses, Or." If you see
                              >me, please say hello!

                              Cool! I'll be wearing a rust colored dress with green trim as well as
                              either a white linen hat or a black snood. Bogdan will be wearing
                              something simply stunning in blue and silver silk with a linen shirt, as
                              well as a spiff hat - fur, if I can get it done in time. *grin* (barring
                              the really spiff outfit, he'll be wearing a light green kaftan with a blue
                              hat).

                              Smiles,
                              Despina de la will keep my eyes peeled for you
                            • Sarah Michele Ford
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                                On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, ladybrynn wrote:

                                > I just finished an Anglo Saxon Design on a pouch. It is a gift for
                                > Queen Yana from the Embroidery Guild. She does Viking and early
                                > period so I used Wool floss and wool ground fabric (silk lined), all
                                > in the same embroidery style as the Bayeuax Taperstry. The pouch is
                                > design so that she can either use it to store her coronette in it or
                                > just use it as a purse. (Note to self, must take pictures before
                                > giving it away).

                                Oh yes, please do. It looked really good when you showed it to me a
                                couple of weeks ago. Plus, I'm planning on using this type of embroidery
                                on a favor or two and I'd love to see yours completed for inspiration.
                                ;^)

                                Alianor

                                Sarah Michele Ford
                                /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                                  Thanks. I'll post them to the list, once I figure out how my
                                  daughters digital camera works.
                                  I want to do trim for a cloak in that same style. It will be come my
                                  take to every event project, since I know it will take some time to
                                  complete, but court can be long and my hands hate to be idle. Plus I
                                  don't have to count when I do that form of embroidery. ;)

                                  - Brynn

                                  > Oh yes, please do. It looked really good when you showed it to me a
                                  > couple of weeks ago. Plus, I'm planning on using this type of
                                  embroidery
                                  > on a favor or two and I'd love to see yours completed for
                                  inspiration.
                                  > ;^)
                                  >
                                  > Alianor
                                  >
                                  > Sarah Michele Ford
                                  > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                                  > Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
                                  > reality is but an exception.
                                  > --Jean Baudrillard
                                  > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
                                • Gwendoline Rosamond
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                                    At 04:42 PM 4/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                                    >Despina and other Midrealmers...
                                    >
                                    >It looks like I'll be traveling West to Ohio for Midrealm Coronation
                                    >with members of my new household. I'd love to meet folks there from
                                    >this list. I'll be wearing a light green cote with gold buttons and a
                                    >gold hood, all linen. Or, I may be fighting, in which case my shield
                                    >is "per bend, vert and sable, two Toulouse crosses, Or." If you see
                                    >me, please say hello!
                                    >
                                    >Cheers,
                                    >Marcele

                                    Greetings,

                                    I'm planning to be there as well. I look forward to meeting you.

                                    I have no idea what I will be wearing though... I'm 5'10" with blond hair,
                                    wear black & silver glasses and have a gold nose ring... That should make
                                    me at least vaguely findable... : ) Oh, and my lord will most likely be
                                    fighting as well so if you can find Zadok, you can find me.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Gwendoline