speaking of teaching

  • Sarah Michele Ford
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
      Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate Tunics for
      Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think? Would there be
      enough of an audience for such a class, especially one that would be
      basically a discussion of various English/French tunics and a handout with
      step-by-step instructions for sewing your own? (I do know that it's
      entirely possible for an enterprising but novice sew-er to put together a
      perfectly nice tunic from my directions, as one of my friends did so.)

      Pondering,
      Alianor

      Sarah Michele Ford
      /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
      Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
      reality is but an exception.
      --Jean Baudrillard
      \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
        At 11:52 AM 4/1/2002 -0600, you wrote:
        >Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate Tunics for
        >Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think? Would there be
        >enough of an audience for such a class, especially one that would be
        >basically a discussion of various English/French tunics and a handout with
        >step-by-step instructions for sewing your own? (I do know that it's
        >entirely possible for an enterprising but novice sew-er to put together a
        >perfectly nice tunic from my directions, as one of my friends did so.)

        You absolutely should teach this at Pennsic. But you will need a different
        name for the class in order to not scare away those who avoid anything that
        says 'authentic'. Perhaps just 'Tunics for Beginners', or 'French and
        English Tunics', or 'Easy Tunics for Beginners', or 'Easy Tunics', or 'How
        to make a tunic'. Having the word 'beginners' in the title will also ward
        off people who would benefit from such a class, though they are experienced
        in the ways of the needle.

        Just my thoughts.

        Smiles,
        Despina
      • Sarah Michele Ford
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
          On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil wrote:

          > At 11:52 AM 4/1/2002 -0600, you wrote:
          > >Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate Tunics for
          > >Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think?

          <snip>

          > You absolutely should teach this at Pennsic. But you will need a different
          > name for the class in order to not scare away those who avoid anything that
          > says 'authentic'. Perhaps just 'Tunics for Beginners', or 'French and
          > English Tunics', or 'Easy Tunics for Beginners', or 'Easy Tunics', or 'How
          > to make a tunic'. Having the word 'beginners' in the title will also ward
          > off people who would benefit from such a class, though they are experienced
          > in the ways of the needle.
          >
          > Just my thoughts.

          And they are appreciated.

          Alianor

          Sarah Michele Ford
          /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
            At 01:36 PM 4/1/2002 -0500, you wrote:
            >How about teaching the class TWICE, though -- since there're always more
            >classes to take, doing it twice doubles your chance of avoiding a conflict?
            >That way you can teach it under two different titles, too (each of which would
            >be likely to attract, and scare off, different types of people...).
            >
            >Effingham

            And Effingham slogs his way out from beneath the pile of books to make yet
            another great suggestion! *grin*

            Smiles,
            Despina
          • Anthony J. Bryant
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
              "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:

              > At 11:52 AM 4/1/2002 -0600, you wrote:
              > >Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate Tunics for
              > >Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think? Would there be
              > >enough of an audience for such a class, especially one that would be
              > >basically a discussion of various English/French tunics and a handout with
              > >step-by-step instructions for sewing your own? (I do know that it's
              > >entirely possible for an enterprising but novice sew-er to put together a
              > >perfectly nice tunic from my directions, as one of my friends did so.)
              >
              > You absolutely should teach this at Pennsic. But you will need a different
              > name for the class in order to not scare away those who avoid anything that
              > says 'authentic'. Perhaps just 'Tunics for Beginners', or 'French and
              > English Tunics', or 'Easy Tunics for Beginners', or 'Easy Tunics', or 'How
              > to make a tunic'. Having the word 'beginners' in the title will also ward
              > off people who would benefit from such a class, though they are experienced
              > in the ways of the needle.

              Good point.

              How about teaching the class TWICE, though -- since there're always more
              classes to take, doing it twice doubles your chance of avoiding a conflict?
              That way you can teach it under two different titles, too (each of which would
              be likely to attract, and scare off, different types of people...).

              Effingham
            • Carolle M Cox
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
                I've not been to Pennsic in decades, and i'm sure the mix there has changed.
                The big question is - how many newer folks go to this huge war? If you can
                say at least two-classfuls, then go for it! If not, then you may be
                disappointed.
                YMMV, naturally.

                Gerita
              • Kate Jones
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002
                  Alianor sez:

                  > Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate Tunics for
                  > Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think? Would there be
                  > enough of an audience for such a class, especially one that would be
                  > basically a discussion of various English/French tunics and a handout with
                  > step-by-step instructions for sewing your own? (I do know that it's
                  > entirely possible for an enterprising but novice sew-er to put together a
                  > perfectly nice tunic from my directions, as one of my friends did so.)

                  I think it'd be a grand idea...very useful and I do believe people
                  would go. Plus, a class like this that's aimed more at new people will
                  help recruit more of them for our ranks... ;)

                  Kat'ryna
                  --
                  Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
                  kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
                    Alianor,

                    Last year I taught a class on Period style tunics. I expected at best
                    8 people really, planning to see just 3 or 4. I had a class of 20.

                    I had extant examples and Kass' instuctions (Her permission of
                    course) I also included in the folder swatches of fabric. What is
                    correct for period vs incorrect. I pulled illuminations from the web
                    to show examples of tunics from the 6th to 15th century. I even
                    picked some that showed trim as well as plain.

                    In my class I discussed not just construction the fabrics and why and
                    the use of store bought trim. What's good and bad.

                    I've had several requests for the hand out since. So please teach the
                    class people and not just beginners are REALLY interested.
                    - Brynn

                    --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@s...> wrote:
                    > Our seneschal seems to think that I ought to teach my "Accurate
                    Tunics for
                    > Beginners" class at Pennsic. What do you guys think? Would there
                    be
                    > enough of an audience for such a class, especially one that would be
                    > basically a discussion of various English/French tunics and a
                    handout with
                    > step-by-step instructions for sewing your own? (I do know that it's
                    > entirely possible for an enterprising but novice sew-er to put
                    together a
                    > perfectly nice tunic from my directions, as one of my friends did
                    so.)

                    > Pondering,
                    > Alianor
                    >
                    > Sarah Michele Ford
                    > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                    > Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
                    > reality is but an exception.
                    > --Jean Baudrillard
                    > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
                  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
                      So under what classification does couching come? Is it embroidery, or what?

                      Thanks,
                      Smiles,
                      Despina
                    • ladybrynn
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
                        Embroidery. Definately.
                        I often see it as Couching and Laidwork.

                        You can couch a cord or metal thread down, or you can do laidwork
                        like the Bayeaux Tapestry. The basic technique is the same, using one
                        thread to hold down another. Always check period examples to see
                        which is used.

                        - Brynn

                        > So under what classification does couching come? Is it embroidery,
                        or what?

                        > Thanks,
                        > Smiles,
                        > Despina
                      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                          At 05:22 PM 4/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                          >Embroidery. Definately.
                          >I often see it as Couching and Laidwork.
                          >
                          >You can couch a cord or metal thread down, or you can do laidwork
                          >like the Bayeaux Tapestry. The basic technique is the same, using one
                          >thread to hold down another. Always check period examples to see
                          >which is used.

                          Cool. Thanks.

                          Smiles,
                          Despina de la up to something......
                        • ladybrynn
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                            Despina, You scare me when you are up to something.
                            I just finished an Anglo Saxon Design on a pouch. It is a gift for
                            Queen Yana from the Embroidery Guild. She does Viking and early
                            period so I used Wool floss and wool ground fabric (silk lined), all
                            in the same embroidery style as the Bayeuax Taperstry. The pouch is
                            design so that she can either use it to store her coronette in it or
                            just use it as a purse. (Note to self, must take pictures before
                            giving it away).

                            - Brynn

                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                              At 03:40 PM 4/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                              >Despina, You scare me when you are up to something.

                              Muhahahaha.... er, I mean, why would I scare you? *grin*

                              >I just finished an Anglo Saxon Design on a pouch. It is a gift for
                              >Queen Yana from the Embroidery Guild. She does Viking and early
                              >period so I used Wool floss and wool ground fabric (silk lined), all
                              >in the same embroidery style as the Bayeuax Taperstry. The pouch is
                              >design so that she can either use it to store her coronette in it or
                              >just use it as a purse. (Note to self, must take pictures before
                              >giving it away).

                              SOunds beautiful and yes, you must take pictures before you give it away.

                              I'm trying to get some of the embroidery for an outfit that is to be worn
                              on April 13 done. I figure if I can get the main part of the couching done
                              and sew that to the piece, it will look nicer than plain and I can go back
                              and finish the design in the two weeks before it is to be worn again.

                              It's the Hungarian vine thing that I was talking about before. So far it's
                              going very well. I do still have to actually sew the collar to the garment
                              though - no embroidery, just me being lazy. *sheepish grin*

                              Smiles,
                              Despina
                            • demontsegur
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                                Despina and other Midrealmers...

                                It looks like I'll be traveling West to Ohio for Midrealm Coronation
                                with members of my new household. I'd love to meet folks there from
                                this list. I'll be wearing a light green cote with gold buttons and a
                                gold hood, all linen. Or, I may be fighting, in which case my shield
                                is "per bend, vert and sable, two Toulouse crosses, Or." If you see
                                me, please say hello!

                                Cheers,
                                Marcele
                              • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                                  At 04:42 PM 4/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                                  >Despina and other Midrealmers...
                                  >
                                  >It looks like I'll be traveling West to Ohio for Midrealm Coronation
                                  >with members of my new household. I'd love to meet folks there from
                                  >this list. I'll be wearing a light green cote with gold buttons and a
                                  >gold hood, all linen. Or, I may be fighting, in which case my shield
                                  >is "per bend, vert and sable, two Toulouse crosses, Or." If you see
                                  >me, please say hello!

                                  Cool! I'll be wearing a rust colored dress with green trim as well as
                                  either a white linen hat or a black snood. Bogdan will be wearing
                                  something simply stunning in blue and silver silk with a linen shirt, as
                                  well as a spiff hat - fur, if I can get it done in time. *grin* (barring
                                  the really spiff outfit, he'll be wearing a light green kaftan with a blue
                                  hat).

                                  Smiles,
                                  Despina de la will keep my eyes peeled for you
                                • Sarah Michele Ford
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                                    On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, ladybrynn wrote:

                                    > I just finished an Anglo Saxon Design on a pouch. It is a gift for
                                    > Queen Yana from the Embroidery Guild. She does Viking and early
                                    > period so I used Wool floss and wool ground fabric (silk lined), all
                                    > in the same embroidery style as the Bayeuax Taperstry. The pouch is
                                    > design so that she can either use it to store her coronette in it or
                                    > just use it as a purse. (Note to self, must take pictures before
                                    > giving it away).

                                    Oh yes, please do. It looked really good when you showed it to me a
                                    couple of weeks ago. Plus, I'm planning on using this type of embroidery
                                    on a favor or two and I'd love to see yours completed for inspiration.
                                    ;^)

                                    Alianor

                                    Sarah Michele Ford
                                    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                                      Thanks. I'll post them to the list, once I figure out how my
                                      daughters digital camera works.
                                      I want to do trim for a cloak in that same style. It will be come my
                                      take to every event project, since I know it will take some time to
                                      complete, but court can be long and my hands hate to be idle. Plus I
                                      don't have to count when I do that form of embroidery. ;)

                                      - Brynn

                                      > Oh yes, please do. It looked really good when you showed it to me a
                                      > couple of weeks ago. Plus, I'm planning on using this type of
                                      embroidery
                                      > on a favor or two and I'd love to see yours completed for
                                      inspiration.
                                      > ;^)
                                      >
                                      > Alianor
                                      >
                                      > Sarah Michele Ford
                                      > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                                      > Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
                                      > reality is but an exception.
                                      > --Jean Baudrillard
                                      > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
                                    • Gwendoline Rosamond
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                                        At 04:42 PM 4/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                                        >Despina and other Midrealmers...
                                        >
                                        >It looks like I'll be traveling West to Ohio for Midrealm Coronation
                                        >with members of my new household. I'd love to meet folks there from
                                        >this list. I'll be wearing a light green cote with gold buttons and a
                                        >gold hood, all linen. Or, I may be fighting, in which case my shield
                                        >is "per bend, vert and sable, two Toulouse crosses, Or." If you see
                                        >me, please say hello!
                                        >
                                        >Cheers,
                                        >Marcele

                                        Greetings,

                                        I'm planning to be there as well. I look forward to meeting you.

                                        I have no idea what I will be wearing though... I'm 5'10" with blond hair,
                                        wear black & silver glasses and have a gold nose ring... That should make
                                        me at least vaguely findable... : ) Oh, and my lord will most likely be
                                        fighting as well so if you can find Zadok, you can find me.

                                        Cheers,
                                        Gwendoline