Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Weekend Update

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1 7:41 AM
      --- tatsushu <logan@...> wrote:
      > http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/12Night_plus.html
      > (go down to
      > the 'armour' section on the bottom).
      Very nice! I see so many suits of pickel barrel
      Japanese armor cobbled together with European arms,
      legs and helms. Nice to see arm defenses that LOOK
      Japanese. (Not my area of expertise at all, but
      Fujimaki and I did enough trips to the armor
      collection at the Met that I at least know the way to
      the clue machine.) Did you make your own rings?

      Jehanne

      =====
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

      http://greetings.yahoo.com/
    • Tatsushu .
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1 8:42 PM
        >--- tatsushu <logan@...> wrote:
        > > http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/12Night_plus.html
        > > (go down to
        > > the 'armour' section on the bottom).
        >Very nice! I see so many suits of pickel barrel
        >Japanese armor cobbled together with European arms,
        >legs and helms. Nice to see arm defenses that LOOK
        >Japanese. (Not my area of expertise at all, but
        >Fujimaki and I did enough trips to the armor
        >collection at the Met that I at least know the way to
        >the clue machine.) Did you make your own rings?

        Funny, of all the things, that you should mention the arms...

        The maille was done by a friend, who told me 'I really want a chance to do
        some Japanese maille, I really wish I had an excuse...' so I gave him one.
        It was cheaper than what I would pay most people to do it.

        Unfortunately, I needed to see what his idea of 'Japanese maille' was first.
        It was butted 4-in-1. The wire is a little thicker than it should be, and
        he didn't double coil the connecting rings. However, I don't argue with
        basically free work.

        I did blacken it, to keep it from rusting, by heating it up and dumping it
        in hot oil (well, at least the oil was hot after a few dunks :) As I was
        fairly certain this wasn't the best on our lungs, a friend and I did this
        outside--far away from people.

        I think that they should be lacquered, to be proper, but I'm not sure. The
        blackening got the right color, and will keep it from rusting, so I'm happy.
        Paint just doesn't work as well.

        The whole thing is then sewn down onto the arms. I actually need to fix it
        in places, but having it sewn down helps keep it from flying to pieces on
        me. I should, however, get some rafts--little pieces of solid metal strips
        and circles--to add to it. That would give both greater protection and be
        more period (there were, apparently, all-maille sleeves, but it was really
        rare according ot Effingham, and I've never actually seen it). Nonetheless,
        it works for the general effect at the moment. I'll have to work on getting
        better armour later. (I really like a set that was worn by Ishida Mitsunari
        and covered in black bear fur--that would be good court armour ;)

        -Ii

      • L Joseph
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2 8:31 AM
          --- "Tatsushu ." <Tatsushu@...> wrote:
          > I should, however, get some rafts--little
          > pieces of solid metal strips
          > and circles--to add to it. That would give both
          > greater protection and be
          > more period (there were, apparently, all-maille
          > sleeves, but it was really
          > rare according ot Effingham, and I've never actually
          > seen it). Nonetheless,
          > it works for the general effect at the moment.
          Definitely! I recall seeing sleeves with little plates
          as well as rings at the Met. Looks pretty good to me.

          What material did you make the body armor out of? It
          certainly doesn't look like barrel plastic.

          Jehanne

          =====
          Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

          http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • rowen_g
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2 11:11 AM
            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Carolle M Cox" <hpockets@g...> wrote:

            > Congratulations, Ii-san! That's a really Great start to your A&S
            career!

            More congrats from here. 8-)

            > Documentation? Well, it's different in every single Kingdom, which
            fact i
            > learned at Gulf Wars, when reading the documentation in the Grand
            Melee
            > (people's choice) competition.
            >
            > Here in Ansteorra, they want: What is it? How was it done, and of
            what, in
            > Period? What did you do differently and why? And then a
            bibliography as a
            > separate page. That's it!

            That's a good way to go about it - what, when, where and why. Some
            people *like* writing documentation; others do not. Some judges enjoy
            reading it more than others do. I tend to be of the term-paper school
            of documentation (both writing and reading) but I'll admit that 6 or 8
            "term papers" can make for a long judging session. Some people don't
            like more that about a 5x7 card worth of info (which I think is
            ridiculous - can you tell this is a topic that's been discussed in the
            area? ;) And, yes, the bibliography is a plus. Especially if you're
            working on a relatively obscure topic/item, you may need to educate
            your judges as well. (Good color scans or photocopies of period
            sources can add a lot to the show and tell aspect.)

            Rowen
          • Sarah Michele Ford
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2 11:23 AM
              On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, rowen_g wrote:

              > That's a good way to go about it - what, when, where and why. Some
              > people *like* writing documentation; others do not. Some judges enjoy
              > reading it more than others do. I tend to be of the term-paper school
              > of documentation (both writing and reading) but I'll admit that 6 or 8
              > "term papers" can make for a long judging session. Some people don't
              > like more that about a 5x7 card worth of info (which I think is
              > ridiculous - can you tell this is a topic that's been discussed in the
              > area? ;) And, yes, the bibliography is a plus. Especially if you're
              > working on a relatively obscure topic/item, you may need to educate
              > your judges as well. (Good color scans or photocopies of period
              > sources can add a lot to the show and tell aspect.)

              <bats eyelashes>
              Y'mean not everyone writes 5 page single-spaced papers for documentation
              (ok, that includes illustrations...usually the text itself is 1.5 - 2
              pages)? I'm another one who can't fathom fitting all of the necessary
              information on a 5x7 card.

              The one thing that was suggested to me by Master Henry MacQueen, veteran
              judge, was to include an abstract which would serve to guide the judge to
              the sections of the documentation that they wanted to read more closely.
              My abstracts for Northern Lights were two or three sentences answering the
              what, when, where, how, why series of questions; Matatias told me that
              some others had several paragraphs of abstract (I didn't look much at
              other people's documentation when they let the populace in to look at the
              entries).

              And now I wait for my judging sheets. Impatiently, I might add.

              Alianor

              Sarah Michele Ford
              /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
              Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
              reality is but an exception.
              --Jean Baudrillard
              \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
            • Tatsushu .
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2 8:04 PM

                >What material did you make the body armor out of? It
                >certainly doesn't look like barrel plastic.

                18-ga steel. It is really nice because most steel places will cut it into
                strips, I've found, and snips can round the edges.

                Of course, according the numbers given in Turnbull's book "Samurai Warfare"
                this is much too thick for period armour (he claims it was about 0.8mm
                IIRC)--but then, you generally weren't nearly so worried about beating out
                the 'killing blow' dents afterward.

                -Ii