Re: Weekend Upadate

  • tatsushu
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1 3:22 AM

      > Have a look at the article at
      > http://www.pcisys.net/~lyssa/document.html
      > I thought it was pretty good.
      >
      > Congratulations on the competition. Hope you'll post
      > photos of what you made at some point.

      http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/12Night_plus.html (go down to
      the 'armour' section on the bottom).

      I guess what I really need to do is learn how to take better notes
      about sources and what is important. I'll see how my next project
      comes along.

      I wonder if we should have a 'documentation' section of the files...
      with documenation and pictures of the project. That might give
      people an idea of how documentation is done by different people.

      -Ii
    • L Joseph
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1 7:41 AM
        --- tatsushu <logan@...> wrote:
        > http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/12Night_plus.html
        > (go down to
        > the 'armour' section on the bottom).
        Very nice! I see so many suits of pickel barrel
        Japanese armor cobbled together with European arms,
        legs and helms. Nice to see arm defenses that LOOK
        Japanese. (Not my area of expertise at all, but
        Fujimaki and I did enough trips to the armor
        collection at the Met that I at least know the way to
        the clue machine.) Did you make your own rings?

        Jehanne

        =====
        Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

        http://greetings.yahoo.com/
      • Tatsushu .
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1 8:42 PM
          >--- tatsushu <logan@...> wrote:
          > > http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/12Night_plus.html
          > > (go down to
          > > the 'armour' section on the bottom).
          >Very nice! I see so many suits of pickel barrel
          >Japanese armor cobbled together with European arms,
          >legs and helms. Nice to see arm defenses that LOOK
          >Japanese. (Not my area of expertise at all, but
          >Fujimaki and I did enough trips to the armor
          >collection at the Met that I at least know the way to
          >the clue machine.) Did you make your own rings?

          Funny, of all the things, that you should mention the arms...

          The maille was done by a friend, who told me 'I really want a chance to do
          some Japanese maille, I really wish I had an excuse...' so I gave him one.
          It was cheaper than what I would pay most people to do it.

          Unfortunately, I needed to see what his idea of 'Japanese maille' was first.
          It was butted 4-in-1. The wire is a little thicker than it should be, and
          he didn't double coil the connecting rings. However, I don't argue with
          basically free work.

          I did blacken it, to keep it from rusting, by heating it up and dumping it
          in hot oil (well, at least the oil was hot after a few dunks :) As I was
          fairly certain this wasn't the best on our lungs, a friend and I did this
          outside--far away from people.

          I think that they should be lacquered, to be proper, but I'm not sure. The
          blackening got the right color, and will keep it from rusting, so I'm happy.
          Paint just doesn't work as well.

          The whole thing is then sewn down onto the arms. I actually need to fix it
          in places, but having it sewn down helps keep it from flying to pieces on
          me. I should, however, get some rafts--little pieces of solid metal strips
          and circles--to add to it. That would give both greater protection and be
          more period (there were, apparently, all-maille sleeves, but it was really
          rare according ot Effingham, and I've never actually seen it). Nonetheless,
          it works for the general effect at the moment. I'll have to work on getting
          better armour later. (I really like a set that was worn by Ishida Mitsunari
          and covered in black bear fur--that would be good court armour ;)

          -Ii

        • L Joseph
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2 8:31 AM
            --- "Tatsushu ." <Tatsushu@...> wrote:
            > I should, however, get some rafts--little
            > pieces of solid metal strips
            > and circles--to add to it. That would give both
            > greater protection and be
            > more period (there were, apparently, all-maille
            > sleeves, but it was really
            > rare according ot Effingham, and I've never actually
            > seen it). Nonetheless,
            > it works for the general effect at the moment.
            Definitely! I recall seeing sleeves with little plates
            as well as rings at the Met. Looks pretty good to me.

            What material did you make the body armor out of? It
            certainly doesn't look like barrel plastic.

            Jehanne

            =====
            Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

            http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • rowen_g
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2 11:11 AM
              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Carolle M Cox" <hpockets@g...> wrote:

              > Congratulations, Ii-san! That's a really Great start to your A&S
              career!

              More congrats from here. 8-)

              > Documentation? Well, it's different in every single Kingdom, which
              fact i
              > learned at Gulf Wars, when reading the documentation in the Grand
              Melee
              > (people's choice) competition.
              >
              > Here in Ansteorra, they want: What is it? How was it done, and of
              what, in
              > Period? What did you do differently and why? And then a
              bibliography as a
              > separate page. That's it!

              That's a good way to go about it - what, when, where and why. Some
              people *like* writing documentation; others do not. Some judges enjoy
              reading it more than others do. I tend to be of the term-paper school
              of documentation (both writing and reading) but I'll admit that 6 or 8
              "term papers" can make for a long judging session. Some people don't
              like more that about a 5x7 card worth of info (which I think is
              ridiculous - can you tell this is a topic that's been discussed in the
              area? ;) And, yes, the bibliography is a plus. Especially if you're
              working on a relatively obscure topic/item, you may need to educate
              your judges as well. (Good color scans or photocopies of period
              sources can add a lot to the show and tell aspect.)

              Rowen
            • Sarah Michele Ford
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2 11:23 AM
                On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, rowen_g wrote:

                > That's a good way to go about it - what, when, where and why. Some
                > people *like* writing documentation; others do not. Some judges enjoy
                > reading it more than others do. I tend to be of the term-paper school
                > of documentation (both writing and reading) but I'll admit that 6 or 8
                > "term papers" can make for a long judging session. Some people don't
                > like more that about a 5x7 card worth of info (which I think is
                > ridiculous - can you tell this is a topic that's been discussed in the
                > area? ;) And, yes, the bibliography is a plus. Especially if you're
                > working on a relatively obscure topic/item, you may need to educate
                > your judges as well. (Good color scans or photocopies of period
                > sources can add a lot to the show and tell aspect.)

                <bats eyelashes>
                Y'mean not everyone writes 5 page single-spaced papers for documentation
                (ok, that includes illustrations...usually the text itself is 1.5 - 2
                pages)? I'm another one who can't fathom fitting all of the necessary
                information on a 5x7 card.

                The one thing that was suggested to me by Master Henry MacQueen, veteran
                judge, was to include an abstract which would serve to guide the judge to
                the sections of the documentation that they wanted to read more closely.
                My abstracts for Northern Lights were two or three sentences answering the
                what, when, where, how, why series of questions; Matatias told me that
                some others had several paragraphs of abstract (I didn't look much at
                other people's documentation when they let the populace in to look at the
                entries).

                And now I wait for my judging sheets. Impatiently, I might add.

                Alianor

                Sarah Michele Ford
                /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
                reality is but an exception.
                --Jean Baudrillard
                \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
              • Tatsushu .
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2 8:04 PM

                  >What material did you make the body armor out of? It
                  >certainly doesn't look like barrel plastic.

                  18-ga steel. It is really nice because most steel places will cut it into
                  strips, I've found, and snips can round the edges.

                  Of course, according the numbers given in Turnbull's book "Samurai Warfare"
                  this is much too thick for period armour (he claims it was about 0.8mm
                  IIRC)--but then, you generally weren't nearly so worried about beating out
                  the 'killing blow' dents afterward.

                  -Ii