Weekend Upadate

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2002
      I hope everyone is enjoying the Passover/Easter/Cherry Blossom season.

      This last weekend the Barony of Stierbach's incipient canton of Sudentur
      hosted 'Defending the gates' where a good time was had by all, it seems.
      Everything got off to a clean* start, and although rain threatened most of
      the day, it was held off by good fortune. There was archery, rapier,
      heavy, and thrown weapons events held outside, and an A&S event inside.
      The A&S competition was for 'weapons, armor, and battle regalia'--but I
      fear that most of it was being used outside, so the entries were somewhat
      slim.

      That was good for me, though--I entered my sugake-odoshi ryo-awase
      ni-mai-do and took both first in the competition and people's choice. I
      was rather pleased, as this is the first real A&S competition I've
      entered.

      However, I was embarrased because my documentation was horrid. Despite
      the fact that I was not able to print out my original documentation and
      had to write it quickly out by hand at the event, I really didn't have
      much in the way of references to point to saying 'this is/is not period'.
      One of the problems is that I made it with the thought of fighting, not
      with the thought of entering it into a competition.

      Which brings me to a question: what are some good tips/sites for how to
      document? I know I've seen discussions before, and I've tried to pay
      attention. I am currently working on a dobuku and am trying to capture
      all the relevant info. So, what do people want to see and how do you like
      it displayed? Particularly, how do you like to see support for a given
      statement. (i.e. if I say 'thingamajigs were widely used by the beginning
      of the Kamakura period', is it best to footnote that, to drag out a quote,
      what?)

      I regret to say that while I can research to some extent, I'm not nearly
      as good at documenting my research and the more I try the more I realize I
      need work. What would people suggest?

      -Ii

      *Literally--one of the canton's members took a bite out of one of the
      gifts in the baskets: it turned out to be soap!
    • Rosine
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30, 2002
        Please forgive the more personal nature of this message - my server can't
        seem to send this to Ii's private address... - Rosine

        > . . . However, I was embarrased because my
        > documentation was horrid.

        I can't help you with ideas, mainly because I'm only so-so in that area
        myself (either too much verbiage, or not enough), but I thought I'd let you
        know privately that Karen Larsdottir is teaching "Documentation for Dummies"
        at the Collegium event we're hosting this 20th in Norfolk Va... and Mistress
        Kiri is teaching "History of Japanese Art", along with Baroness Caitlin
        teaching "Beginning Japanese Garb" - a class I'm sure you don't need, but
        would be a good "see the guy outside" example for her. Her Husband, Baron
        Takenoshite Naro is going to be out on the fighting field in his
        what-ever-you-call-it period armor (I don't know much, as you can tell). Get
        those three together and the talk is _very_ Japanese! (Naro and Caitlin are
        hosts for visiting Japanese students and know all the good sushi shops.)
        So if you are bored that weekend or have no other plans, it might be an
        interesting event to attend. The Chrysler museum in Norfolk (costs $5 to get
        in) has a pretty good Japanese armor collection. I don't know the age of the
        pieces, however. I was in a hurry to get to the Tiffany room when I noticed
        them in passing (and I admit, the Egyptian stuff drew my eye even more. But
        still, I did notice that there was a nice, though small, selection).

        Rosine
      • Carolle M Cox
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 31, 2002
          Soap!! LOL!!!

          Congratulations, Ii-san! That's a really Great start to your A&S career!

          Documentation? Well, it's different in every single Kingdom, which fact i
          learned at Gulf Wars, when reading the documentation in the Grand Melee
          (people's choice) competition.

          Here in Ansteorra, they want: What is it? How was it done, and of what, in
          Period? What did you do differently and why? And then a bibliography as a
          separate page. That's it!

          Hope it helps.

          Gerita
        • L Joseph
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 31, 2002
            --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
            > Which brings me to a question: what are some good
            > tips/sites for how to
            > document?

            Ii-dono,

            Have a look at the article at
            http://www.pcisys.net/~lyssa/document.html
            I thought it was pretty good.

            Congratulations on the competition. Hope you'll post
            photos of what you made at some point.

            Jehanne

            =====
            Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

            http://greetings.yahoo.com/
          • tatsushu
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2002

              > Have a look at the article at
              > http://www.pcisys.net/~lyssa/document.html
              > I thought it was pretty good.
              >
              > Congratulations on the competition. Hope you'll post
              > photos of what you made at some point.

              http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/12Night_plus.html (go down to
              the 'armour' section on the bottom).

              I guess what I really need to do is learn how to take better notes
              about sources and what is important. I'll see how my next project
              comes along.

              I wonder if we should have a 'documentation' section of the files...
              with documenation and pictures of the project. That might give
              people an idea of how documentation is done by different people.

              -Ii
            • L Joseph
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2002
                --- tatsushu <logan@...> wrote:
                > http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/12Night_plus.html
                > (go down to
                > the 'armour' section on the bottom).
                Very nice! I see so many suits of pickel barrel
                Japanese armor cobbled together with European arms,
                legs and helms. Nice to see arm defenses that LOOK
                Japanese. (Not my area of expertise at all, but
                Fujimaki and I did enough trips to the armor
                collection at the Met that I at least know the way to
                the clue machine.) Did you make your own rings?

                Jehanne

                =====

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2002
                  >--- tatsushu <logan@...> wrote:
                  > > http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/12Night_plus.html
                  > > (go down to
                  > > the 'armour' section on the bottom).
                  >Very nice! I see so many suits of pickel barrel
                  >Japanese armor cobbled together with European arms,
                  >legs and helms. Nice to see arm defenses that LOOK
                  >Japanese. (Not my area of expertise at all, but
                  >Fujimaki and I did enough trips to the armor
                  >collection at the Met that I at least know the way to
                  >the clue machine.) Did you make your own rings?

                  Funny, of all the things, that you should mention the arms...

                  The maille was done by a friend, who told me 'I really want a chance to do
                  some Japanese maille, I really wish I had an excuse...' so I gave him one.
                  It was cheaper than what I would pay most people to do it.

                  Unfortunately, I needed to see what his idea of 'Japanese maille' was first.
                  It was butted 4-in-1. The wire is a little thicker than it should be, and
                  he didn't double coil the connecting rings. However, I don't argue with
                  basically free work.

                  I did blacken it, to keep it from rusting, by heating it up and dumping it
                  in hot oil (well, at least the oil was hot after a few dunks :) As I was
                  fairly certain this wasn't the best on our lungs, a friend and I did this
                  outside--far away from people.

                  I think that they should be lacquered, to be proper, but I'm not sure. The
                  blackening got the right color, and will keep it from rusting, so I'm happy.
                  Paint just doesn't work as well.

                  The whole thing is then sewn down onto the arms. I actually need to fix it
                  in places, but having it sewn down helps keep it from flying to pieces on
                  me. I should, however, get some rafts--little pieces of solid metal strips
                  and circles--to add to it. That would give both greater protection and be
                  more period (there were, apparently, all-maille sleeves, but it was really
                  rare according ot Effingham, and I've never actually seen it). Nonetheless,
                  it works for the general effect at the moment. I'll have to work on getting
                  better armour later. (I really like a set that was worn by Ishida Mitsunari
                  and covered in black bear fur--that would be good court armour ;)

                  -Ii

                • L Joseph
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
                    --- "Tatsushu ." <Tatsushu@...> wrote:
                    > I should, however, get some rafts--little
                    > pieces of solid metal strips
                    > and circles--to add to it. That would give both
                    > greater protection and be
                    > more period (there were, apparently, all-maille
                    > sleeves, but it was really
                    > rare according ot Effingham, and I've never actually
                    > seen it). Nonetheless,
                    > it works for the general effect at the moment.
                    Definitely! I recall seeing sleeves with little plates
                    as well as rings at the Met. Looks pretty good to me.

                    What material did you make the body armor out of? It
                    certainly doesn't look like barrel plastic.

                    Jehanne

                    =====
                    Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

                    http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                  • rowen_g
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Carolle M Cox" <hpockets@g...> wrote:

                      > Congratulations, Ii-san! That's a really Great start to your A&S
                      career!

                      More congrats from here. 8-)

                      > Documentation? Well, it's different in every single Kingdom, which
                      fact i
                      > learned at Gulf Wars, when reading the documentation in the Grand
                      Melee
                      > (people's choice) competition.
                      >
                      > Here in Ansteorra, they want: What is it? How was it done, and of
                      what, in
                      > Period? What did you do differently and why? And then a
                      bibliography as a
                      > separate page. That's it!

                      That's a good way to go about it - what, when, where and why. Some
                      people *like* writing documentation; others do not. Some judges enjoy
                      reading it more than others do. I tend to be of the term-paper school
                      of documentation (both writing and reading) but I'll admit that 6 or 8
                      "term papers" can make for a long judging session. Some people don't
                      like more that about a 5x7 card worth of info (which I think is
                      ridiculous - can you tell this is a topic that's been discussed in the
                      area? ;) And, yes, the bibliography is a plus. Especially if you're
                      working on a relatively obscure topic/item, you may need to educate
                      your judges as well. (Good color scans or photocopies of period
                      sources can add a lot to the show and tell aspect.)

                      Rowen
                    • Sarah Michele Ford
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
                        On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, rowen_g wrote:

                        > That's a good way to go about it - what, when, where and why. Some
                        > people *like* writing documentation; others do not. Some judges enjoy
                        > reading it more than others do. I tend to be of the term-paper school
                        > of documentation (both writing and reading) but I'll admit that 6 or 8
                        > "term papers" can make for a long judging session. Some people don't
                        > like more that about a 5x7 card worth of info (which I think is
                        > ridiculous - can you tell this is a topic that's been discussed in the
                        > area? ;) And, yes, the bibliography is a plus. Especially if you're
                        > working on a relatively obscure topic/item, you may need to educate
                        > your judges as well. (Good color scans or photocopies of period
                        > sources can add a lot to the show and tell aspect.)

                        <bats eyelashes>
                        Y'mean not everyone writes 5 page single-spaced papers for documentation
                        (ok, that includes illustrations...usually the text itself is 1.5 - 2
                        pages)? I'm another one who can't fathom fitting all of the necessary
                        information on a 5x7 card.

                        The one thing that was suggested to me by Master Henry MacQueen, veteran
                        judge, was to include an abstract which would serve to guide the judge to
                        the sections of the documentation that they wanted to read more closely.
                        My abstracts for Northern Lights were two or three sentences answering the
                        what, when, where, how, why series of questions; Matatias told me that
                        some others had several paragraphs of abstract (I didn't look much at
                        other people's documentation when they let the populace in to look at the
                        entries).

                        And now I wait for my judging sheets. Impatiently, I might add.

                        Alianor

                        Sarah Michele Ford
                        /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                        Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
                        reality is but an exception.
                        --Jean Baudrillard
                        \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
                      • Tatsushu .
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002

                          >What material did you make the body armor out of? It
                          >certainly doesn't look like barrel plastic.

                          18-ga steel. It is really nice because most steel places will cut it into
                          strips, I've found, and snips can round the edges.

                          Of course, according the numbers given in Turnbull's book "Samurai Warfare"
                          this is much too thick for period armour (he claims it was about 0.8mm
                          IIRC)--but then, you generally weren't nearly so worried about beating out
                          the 'killing blow' dents afterward.

                          -Ii