Re: 6 yards of silk... Now what? (Indian clothing)

  • unclrashid
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "sarah_de_lorraine" <lithiate@e...> wrote:

      > Is there anyone on this list who knows a thing or three about
      > SCA-relevant Indian clothing? So far, the best information I've
      > been able to turn up on the topic of draping a sari is that the
      dhoti
      > style sari is at least pre-1400... I'm also assuming that the
      choli
      > most likely is a modern/OOP invention. If this is so, can anyone
      > with a hindi persona give suggestions as to how they get around
      > the topless problem at events?
      >
      > Right now I'm just trying to get a taste for the Indian culture,
      > pre-1600. I'd appreciate any direction someone is willing to
      > point me in to ge a better understanding of Indian clothing and
      > society. Hopefully this isn't too vague... ;)

      Check out the SCA-india group, they are quite knowledgable. I have a
      little knowledge on Indian clothing since there is an overlap between
      Persian and Moghul for the men's costumes.

      Check out some Moghul art if you are interested in late period
      Northern Indian. They have a very fetching combo for ladies that
      consists of a sheer shift over pants with a little short jacket over
      top of the shift. They also did have cholis, just not the ones with
      princess seams. The mughals also had very full skirts which were
      worn over pants.

      Rashid
    • GR Auklandus
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
        OK, so we're looking at doing "Carnival in Venice" in our local province.

        One of the guys is already using "Vincenzo la Pesci" or "Vinnie the Fish."

        So how to I say "Jimmy the Squirrel?"

        Gaius, er, Guido

        =====
        http://greetings.yahoo.com/
      • ladymorwenna
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
          > So how to I say "Jimmy the Squirrel?"
          >
          > Gaius, er, Guido

          I know, Jehanne, I shouldn't encourage him...

          Squirrel is "scoiattolo".

          --Morwenna
        • GR Auklandus
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
            --- ladymorwenna <ladymorwenna@...> wrote:
            > > So how to I say "Jimmy the Squirrel?"
            > >
            > > Gaius, er, Guido
            >
            > I know, Jehanne, I shouldn't encourage him...
            >
            > Squirrel is "scoiattolo".
            >
            > --Morwenna

            Thanks.

            Pronounced "Sko-ee-ah-toh-lo"?

            Guido

            http://greetings.yahoo.com/
          • L Joseph
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
              --- ladymorwenna <ladymorwenna@...> wrote:
              > I know, Jehanne, I shouldn't encourage him...
              Not encouraging him doesn't really help. ;->

              So, Guido, who IS Jimmy?

              Jehanne

              =====
              Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

              http://greetings.yahoo.com/
            • ladymorwenna
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
                > > > So how to I say "Jimmy the Squirrel?"

                > > Squirrel is "scoiattolo".

                > Pronounced "Sko-ee-ah-toh-lo"?

                Sounds about right. Stress is on the "a".

                And Jimmy is Giacomino, diminutive of Giacomo.

                Am I going to regret this later?

                Morwenna
              • GR Auklandus
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
                  --- L Joseph <wodeford@...> wrote:

                  > --- ladymorwenna <ladymorwenna@...> wrote:
                  > > I know, Jehanne, I shouldn't encourage him...
                  > Not encouraging him doesn't really help. ;->
                  >
                  > So, Guido, who IS Jimmy?
                  >
                  > Jehanne

                  My wicked twin brother. Why do you ask?

                  Guido.

                  http://greetings.yahoo.com/
                • GR Auklandus
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
                    What? You don't regret it now?

                    Thanks for the info.

                    Giacomino la Scoiattolo! I LIKES it.

                    Gia... er, Gaius

                    > > > Squirrel is "scoiattolo".
                    >
                    > > Pronounced "Sko-ee-ah-toh-lo"?
                    >
                    > Sounds about right. Stress is on the "a".
                    >
                    > And Jimmy is Giacomino, diminutive of Giacomo.
                    >
                    > Am I going to regret this later?
                    >
                    > Morwenna

                    =====
                    http://greetings.yahoo.com/
                  • Anthony J. Bryant
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
                      GR Auklandus wrote:

                      > OK, so we're looking at doing "Carnival in Venice" in our local province.
                      >
                      > One of the guys is already using "Vincenzo la Pesci" or "Vinnie the Fish."
                      >
                      > So how to I say "Jimmy the Squirrel?"

                      Jiacomo il scoiattolo

                      A wonderful site: http://www.yourdictionary.com/

                      Effingham
                    • ladymorwenna
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
                        > Giacomino la Scoiattolo! I LIKES it.
                        >
                        > Gia... er, Gaius

                        Sorry, I forgot about the article: Giacomino lo Scoiattolo.

                        --Morwenna
                      • rowen_g
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., GR Auklandus <vsct_caius@y...> wrote:
                          > OK, so we're looking at doing "Carnival in Venice" in our local
                          province.

                          > One of the guys is already using "Vincenzo la Pesci" or "Vinnie the
                          Fish."

                          Um, isn't that a feminine article he's using?

                          Rowen

                          (no Italian, but a moderate amount of Spanish)
                        • GR Auklandus
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
                            So I'm a guy, not a girl, eh?

                            OK, that works.

                            Thanks.

                            Gaius

                            --- ladymorwenna <ladymorwenna@...> wrote:
                            > > Giacomino la Scoiattolo! I LIKES it.
                            > >
                            > > Gia... er, Gaius
                            >
                            > Sorry, I forgot about the article: Giacomino lo Scoiattolo.
                            >
                            > --Morwenna

                            =====
                            http://greetings.yahoo.com/
                          • ladymorwenna
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
                              > > One of the guys is already using "Vincenzo la Pesci" or "Vinnie
                              > > the Fish."
                              >

                              > Um, isn't that a feminine article he's using?
                              >
                              > Rowen
                              >
                              > (no Italian, but a moderate amount of Spanish)

                              You're right. Fish is masculine. So it should be "il Pesce". (Pesci is
                              plural).

                              Morwenna
                            • ladymorwenna
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
                                > So I'm a guy, not a girl, eh?
                                >
                                > Gaius

                                It's not you; it's the squirrel. : ) Never having met you myself, I'll
                                take Jehanne's word for it. ; )

                                Brief Italian lesson: "il" is the masculine article, unless it comes
                                before a noun beginning with an "s" or a "z", then it's "lo".

                                Am i right on this, Vittoria?

                                Morwenna

                                > > > Giacomino la Scoiattolo! I LIKES it.
                                > > >
                                > > > Gia... er, Gaius
                                > >
                                > > Sorry, I forgot about the article: Giacomino lo Scoiattolo.
                                > >
                                > > --Morwenna
                              • GR Auklandus
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
                                  It might be.

                                  I might have mis-remembered it.

                                  Not overly versed in Italian myself.

                                  Effingham suggested "il." Morwenna suggested "lo." Either or both of those is probably
                                  right.

                                  Gaius

                                  --- rowen_g <rowengr@...> wrote:
                                  > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., GR Auklandus <vsct_caius@y...> wrote:
                                  > > OK, so we're looking at doing "Carnival in Venice" in our local
                                  > province.
                                  > >
                                  > > One of the guys is already using "Vincenzo la Pesci" or "Vinnie the
                                  > Fish."
                                  >

                                  > Um, isn't that a feminine article he's using?
                                  >
                                  > Rowen
                                  >
                                  > (no Italian, but a moderate amount of Spanish)

                                  =====
                                  http://greetings.yahoo.com/
                                • maud_de_clayton
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 29, 2002
                                    --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "rowen_g" <rowengr@h...> wrote:
                                    > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., GR Auklandus <vsct_caius@y...> wrote:
                                    > > OK, so we're looking at doing "Carnival in Venice" in our local
                                    > province.
                                    > >
                                    > > One of the guys is already using "Vincenzo la Pesci" or "Vinnie
                                    the
                                    > Fish."
                                    >

                                    > Um, isn't that a feminine article he's using?
                                    >
                                    > Rowen
                                    >
                                    > (no Italian, but a moderate amount of Spanish)

                                    Maybe he's a Florentine? ;-D

                                    Maud
                                    (feeling extremely giddy, as the "bell of freedom" just rang)
                                  • MarshaMclean
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 2, 2002
                                      Absolutely. I've been studying Moghul (16th c.) Indian costume in
                                      illuminations for the last year. What can I tell you? Please feel free to
                                      contact me off-list, since this is likely to interest few.

                                      Madinia