Re: apology: Cool news

  • drchelm
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2002
      > > > This rocks!
      > > >
      > >Yes it does. I haven't found much on the Swiss during our period.
      > >Since I have a Swiss persona this will help a lot - it would help
      > >more if I were a male fighter but I'd take any info.
      > >Adelheid Wolfensburger,14th century Zuricher

      I know how you feel - and I had the advantage of having lived
      close enough to my persona's area to have visited the area and
      checked out all the museums. In English, however, good sources
      on the south German-speaking cultures are few and far between.
      To start, as odd as this may sound, find first a history of the
      Duchy of Burgundy. Much of the Swiss national character was
      defined through the struggles of the Swiss cantons in their wars
      with Burgundy. Also find a good history of Austria - since a lot
      of Swiss history is rooted is the rebellion of a handful of
      Cantons and sub-Cantons against the Hapsburgs, who started out
      with Swiss possessions, though many do not realise that. Anyway,
      you really don't do Swiss history without doing some Austria,
      Tirol and Burgundy. Start there.

      A second question, which would help me a bit in feeding you
      sources, is: do you read French or German at all? Also, where
      do you live?

      > It would rock if it were true. It seems to be a mean to
      > re-creationists
      > and re-enactors April Fools joke begun early.

      Despina, at least the proliferation of this hoax gave me something
      to do last night whilst having a really bad attack of insomnia. It
      was a lot of fun tracking down all the different peices of the hoax...
      Someone was very very clever in inventing this.

      Therasia (who lurks)