Real or glass pearls?

  • skyecatuk
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 28, 2002
      OK, I've been perusing the firemountaingems site, and it seems there
      are two choices -

      irregular freshwater pearls, either rice, button or potato shaped -
      thinking button is the best option,

      or perfectly round but glass based pearls.

      Perfectly round real pearls are out of my league!

      If you were given the choice, authenticity buffs, would you go for
      real but wonky, or fake but perfect?

      Lisa (pondering)
    • Gwendoline Rosamond
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 2, 2002
        At 06:49 PM 4/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >--- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Gwendoline Rosamond <dameg@a...> wrote:
        > > At 03:57 PM 3/29/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >
        > > >pearls, and one had *possibly* blue-grey ones.
        >
        > > I would love to know more about the possible
        > > blue-grey one. Where did you find it?
        >
        >Oh, geez, you would ask.... let me think... I think that was one of
        >the ones in a book in the library, that I actually didn't take out.
        >Hmm... one of the art books, not a "costuming" reference.... hmmm...
        >
        >There was one other one that was shown with blue-ish highlights, but
        >*that* one was in a French tapestry, late 16th - early 17th, and I
        >didn't count it because I didn't trust the color in the weaving to be
        >an accurate depiction.
        >
        >If I find it again, I'll see if I can get a scan.
        >
        >Rowen

        I'm very good at being difficult. : ) If you do find it...that would be great!

        Cheers,
        Gwendoline