West March Crown Pix Uploaded

  • maud_de_clayton
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 26, 2002
      I've just uploaded a couple of pictures from the West March Crown to
      my folder in the "Photos" section.

      I wrote a lovely little post about the event, and YahooGroups' server
      seems to have eaten it. However...

      It was only a little rainy, after pouring most of Friday night; the
      sun spent the day playing hide and seek with the clouds, and only 2
      brief showers marred the day. It was only moderately cold--perfect
      for wearing the wool clothes that spend 9 months of the year in the
      closet or trunk because it's just too hot for them.

      The site was a bog--1"+ rain on clay, and even with the grass, it was
      a morass pretty quickly. I did manage, however, to wheedle a promise
      out of Jakob for a pair of pattens for the next muddy event. Clothes
      and encampments appeared to run the gamut from incredible to "truly
      unique" (as in..."I've truly never seen anything quite like that
      before.") The shopping was pretty good, but since I'm planning on
      spending a fortune next week, I was very good and bought only 3
      books: one a reprint of a German modelbuch, a reprint of an 1896 tome
      on Jews in the Middle Ages, and a book on the Battle of Pavia (for
      Jakob).

      I can't comment on the fighting, as I don't normally follow it, and I
      can't tell who people are from their arms anyway. However, I did
      watch a little, and was struck by how odd it seems to hear "thunk"
      when a blow connnects, rather than "clank."

      I did make it to the West Kingdom Needlework Guild's meeting, and had
      a chance to meet the other members of the guild; lots of very nice
      people, lots of pretty handwork. There was one woman (sorry, I don't
      remember her name) who showed off a very pretty gauntlet she had
      finished, complete with a blackworked cuff.

      Oh, the results, for those who are interested and haven't heard yet.
      Jade of Starfall won again (!), this time for Megan nic Alister.
      Their coronation is at Beltane, the first Saturday in May.

      Somebody else that was there can fill in more of the details that I
      probably missed. I'm also sorry that I didn't manage to connect with
      everybody else; I simply can't recognize people very well, especially
      when they're dressed in clothes I'm not familiar with, and I don't
      have my glasses on (I flat refuse to wear them when I'm "dressed", as
      I'm afraid of looking like the "classic SCA geek" in bad garb and
      thick glasses--ack!). :-/

      So there it is. ;-)

      Maud
    • L Joseph
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 26, 2002
        --- maud_de_clayton <dtjacobson@...> wrote:
        > The site was a bog--1"+ rain on clay, and even with
        > the grass, it was
        > a morass pretty quickly. I did manage, however, to
        > wheedle a promise
        > out of Jakob for a pair of pattens for the next
        > muddy event.
        Funny, I was wondering myself how hard they could be
        to construct after picking through the puddles.

        > The shopping was pretty good, but since
        > I'm planning on
        > spending a fortune next week, I was very good and
        > bought only 3
        > books: one a reprint of a German modelbuch, a
        > reprint of an 1896 tome
        > on Jews in the Middle Ages, and a book on the Battle
        > of Pavia (for
        > Jakob).
        I found a nice one myself: "Music in Manuscripts" from
        the British Library.

        Jehanne

        =====
        Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

        Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards´┐Ż
        http://movies.yahoo.com/
      • maud_de_clayton
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 26, 2002
          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., L Joseph <wodeford@y...> wrote:

          > --- maud_de_clayton <dtjacobson@y...> wrote:
          > > The site was a bog--1"+ rain on clay, and even with
          > > the grass, it was
          > > a morass pretty quickly. I did manage, however, to
          > > wheedle a promise
          > > out of Jakob for a pair of pattens for the next
          > > muddy event.
          > Funny, I was wondering myself how hard they could be
          > to construct after picking through the puddles.

          I don't think they're too terribly difficult, Jakob has a nice set of
          woodworking tools, and since he got me a copy of the MoL "Shoes and
          Pattens" for Christmas, he really has no excuse that he doesn't have
          the documentation to make proper ones. 8-)

          The only problem: I ended up having to make a bet with him. I bet him
          that I would build and complete a waffenrock for him before he would
          get my pattens and my medieval stool finished. If I win, I get dinner
          at a nice French restaurant in Yountville; if he wins...he hasn't
          specified what I have to forfeit.

          Should be interesting. ;-)

          Maud
        • glaukopisathene
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "maud_de_clayton" <dtjacobson@y...> wrote:
            > I've just uploaded a couple of pictures from the West March Crown to
            > my folder in the "Photos" section.

            Oh, my gosh! Maud, I just looked at your photos, and I believe I was
            standing next to you and Jakob, around the eric I think, for like two
            minutes but without recognizing you ;-) I have a good memory for
            clothing, if not for faces, and I'm almost certain it was you guys.
            Maybe at the next event we'll actually talk <g>. I did see Jehanne
            and Gaius, though...

            Crown was lots of fun, but the weather was miserable on Friday. I am
            SO glad I finished that kirtle, because I would've frozen if I hadn't
            been wearing something woolen. It needs sleeves, though...I'll get
            around to making them soon.

            I didn't do a whole ton of shopping, but I did buy oodles of silk
            embroidery thread, for who-knows-what future projects. I also spend a
            couple of hours hanging out in the Needleworker's Guild tent - such
            nice people! It was kind of fun and relaxing, and a nice respite from
            the weather to be "indoors" (the Kates pavilion has no walls). My
            goal for the weekend had been to start learning blackwork, but I
            didn't get around to it. I was fixated on finishing my linen chemise
            that weekend (I was still sewing determinedly on Sunday morning, but
            didn't finish in time to wear it. It's nearly done now though, just
            need to finish the neckline, cuffs, and hem). Anyway...but I did have
            the opportunity to ask some questions (mostly about blackwork), and
            learn from listening to other people's questions. I did receive a
            lovely compliment from one lady there, who praised the fact that I was
            sewing by hand, and that the garment was made entirely of linen. I
            can't take the praise, though - all you wonderful people have taught
            me well! :-)

            Since I was not cooking for my camp this time around, I found myself
            with rather more free time than I knew what to do with! I got to see
            the finals of the Crown Tournament for the first time, which was very
            cool. Between rounds, my darling consort won four roses for me :-)
            Oh, and Sunday morning was the dance competition; one of my friends,
            who has only been to four events so far, won! And it's not just
            'cause I was helping judge, everyone else seemed quite impressed with
            her too :) All in all, a good weekend. But like an idiot, even
            though I'd brought my camera, I forgot to take it out ever...so I have
            no pictures to show, alas.

            Appallingly early Monday morning, I flew home to LA for spring break.
            Just got back last night; my family is visiting for a couple days,
            and I have two midterms this week (ack!!), and after that, life will
            be somewhat back to normal.

            Vittoria