Regarding Period Music and Bardic stuff

  • Jeanne Harney
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2001
      I'm really glad you guys brought this subject up...I've been following it
      with great interest, especially since I was just asked to organize a Bardic
      competition for Baron Wars IV. (NW Ohio's premier camping event, honest)
      There'll be about 1500 people at the event. It always boils down to "drum
      and dance" for hours every night, and while that's fun and all, it does not
      Bardic make!
      So, after complaining about that I was told to put my money where my mouth
      was and organize something...and I will have a panel of 3 judges, categories
      for best individual and group vocal (not singing only, storytelling/playlets
      are fine as well), best individual and group instrumental, and a judge's
      choice award. All of a sudden I'm hearing a whole lot of stuff I'd never
      heard of. Am I counting points on documentation? Awarding points (similar
      to War points, I guess) for A&S? Stuff like that. I'm still attempting to
      get my judging criteria together...and period-ness was going to be one of
      the things that counted, of course.
      All I have going for me is perfect pitch and a love of all music/theatre.
      I'm NOT a trained judge. I am getting a bit scared that I may have bitten
      off more than I can chew if people are looking for official points, etc...I
      have GOOD prizes available, as every vendor has to donate an item in lieu of
      a vendor's fee, and there are generally over 50 vendors...

      Advice??

      Jeanne
    • L Joseph
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2001
        --- Jeanne Harney <jeanne@...> wrote:
        > I'm really glad you guys brought this subject
        > up...I've been following it with great interest,
        > especially since I was just asked to organize a
        > Bardic competition for Baron Wars IV.
        > All I have going for me is perfect pitch and a love
        > of all music/theatre.

        > I'm NOT a trained judge. I am getting a bit scared
        > that I may have bitten
        > off more than I can chew if people are looking for
        > official points, etc...I
        > have GOOD prizes available, as every vendor has to
        > donate an item in lieu of
        > a vendor's fee, and there are generally over 50
        > vendors...

        Greetings, Jeanne.

        Sounds like you have a good start on this. If you can,
        get people on your judging panel who DO have a clue
        about period performance material, they can balance
        your lesser experience level. Discuss with your
        judging committee how to quantify the unquantifiable
        (sorry, I hate the idea of arts as horse-race, as it
        is) and go for it.

        I knew close to nothing when I began doing music in
        the SCA, but fairly early on was disturbed to hear
        decidedly non-period Celtic and folk music being
        pawned off on the public at a demo as the real deal. I
        figured I'd put MY money where my mouth was and have
        spent the past couple of years learning and performing
        period music. I've even been known to spout Chaucer in
        Middle English AND make myself understood.

        Best of luck,

        Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands, East

        =====
        "I do but sing because I must, And pipe but as the linnets sing." Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • stephen higa
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2001
          Greetings! The following link might help:

          http://www.west.sca.org/A%26Sperform.html

          It's the judging sheet for the West Kingdom's A&S performing arts contests.
          Sounds like you have a great thing going! keep it up!

          Moshe
          Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
          menhs en cort que de belh saber
          de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
          hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
          e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.

          --Guiraut Riquier, 1292

          ----------
          >From: "Jeanne Harney" <jeanne@...>
          >To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Regarding Period Music and Bardic stuff
          >Date: Mon, Mar 5, 2001, 7:30 AM
          >

          > I'm really glad you guys brought this subject up...I've been following it
          > with great interest, especially since I was just asked to organize a Bardic
          > competition for Baron Wars IV. (NW Ohio's premier camping event, honest)
          > There'll be about 1500 people at the event. It always boils down to "drum
          > and dance" for hours every night, and while that's fun and all, it does not
          > Bardic make!
          > So, after complaining about that I was told to put my money where my mouth
          > was and organize something...and I will have a panel of 3 judges, categories
          > for best individual and group vocal (not singing only, storytelling/playlets
          > are fine as well), best individual and group instrumental, and a judge's
          > choice award. All of a sudden I'm hearing a whole lot of stuff I'd never
          > heard of. Am I counting points on documentation? Awarding points (similar
          > to War points, I guess) for A&S? Stuff like that. I'm still attempting to
          > get my judging criteria together...and period-ness was going to be one of
          > the things that counted, of course.
          > All I have going for me is perfect pitch and a love of all music/theatre.
          > I'm NOT a trained judge. I am getting a bit scared that I may have bitten
          > off more than I can chew if people are looking for official points, etc...I
          > have GOOD prizes available, as every vendor has to donate an item in lieu of
          > a vendor's fee, and there are generally over 50 vendors...
          >
          > Advice??
          >
          > Jeanne
          >

          > This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

        • Jeanne Harney
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2001
            From: "stephen higa" <mitsuo@...>

            > Greetings! The following link might help:
            >
            > http://www.west.sca.org/A%26Sperform.html
            >
            > It's the judging sheet for the West Kingdom's A&S performing arts
            contests.
            > Sounds like you have a great thing going! keep it up!
            >
            > Moshe

            Thank you VERY much. I need help, because this is an area mostly ignored by
            my Barony. I don't like it that fighting and sewing (though I DO sew) seem
            to be the only "arts" around. Guess it was/is time to put my money where my
            mouth is, right???

            Jeanne
          • Bob Davis
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 6, 2001
              Jeanne Harney wrote:

              > I'm really glad you guys brought this subject up...I've been following it
              > with great interest, especially since I was just asked to organize a Bardic
              > competition for Baron Wars IV. (NW Ohio's premier camping event, honest)
              > There'll be about 1500 people at the event. It always boils down to "drum
              > and dance" for hours every night, and while that's fun and all, it does not
              > Bardic make!

              But, as a percussionist who loves to play for dancers... shimmy, baby,
              shimmy... ;-)

              > So, after complaining about that I was told to put my money where my mouth
              > was and organize something...and I will have a panel of 3 judges, categories
              > for best individual and group vocal (not singing only, storytelling/playlets
              > are fine as well), best individual and group instrumental, and a judge's
              > choice award. All of a sudden I'm hearing a whole lot of stuff I'd never
              > heard of. Am I counting points on documentation? Awarding points (similar
              > to War points, I guess) for A&S? Stuff like that. I'm still attempting to
              > get my judging criteria together...and period-ness was going to be one of
              > the things that counted, of course.

              Count documentation, but if it's going to be a Bardic Circle, don't ask
              people for hard hand-outs giving chapter and verse of where they got the
              piece. See below...

              > All I have going for me is perfect pitch and a love of all music/theatre.
              > I'm NOT a trained judge. I am getting a bit scared that I may have bitten
              > off more than I can chew if people are looking for official points, etc...I
              > have GOOD prizes available, as every vendor has to donate an item in lieu of
              > a vendor's fee, and there are generally over 50 vendors...

              If you judge by the performer's intro [example: "This is a piece in the
              style of Ventadorn" -- look for through-composed melismatic lines], and
              have good judges, you can probably get away with it without requiring
              significand documentation. Look for judges who excel at period styles.

              My two pence.

              -Robert fitz Thomas