Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Redressing...

  • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2002
      At 01:22 AM 2/28/2002 +0000, you wrote:
      > > The wildest "restaurant story" has nothing to do with medieval
      >garb.
      > > About 8 of us were at an "Old West" event outside Phoenix, and
      >walked
      > > into a cowboy bar in Scottsdale, wearing our full 1890s kits, minus
      > > the sidearms, so that we could have dinner (the place had really
      >good
      > > steaks). Needless to say, we stopped the show. The "drugstore
      > > cowboys" were envious of us because we had that "patina of dirt"
      >that
      > > comes from really living in your clothes, while the owners thought
      >we
      > > were just too cool for words, and bought us a round of drinks.
      >
      >I know I've told this story before, but you weren't around yet,
      >Maud. Once on the way to a 17th century event, I pulled up at a
      >Dunkin Donuts drive-thru in full kit, driving my little blue Miata
      >with the top down (and my black felt hat and linen coif on). The boy
      >at the window asked if I was Amish. I told him yes, that my horse
      >and buggy were in the shop and that this was a rental. =)

      ROFLOL! I've been asked if I was Amish a number of times. I just usually
      answer with, "no, are you?" Which confuses them no end... <G>

      My favorite "freaking the mundanes" story happened at a Coronation. : ) A
      huge group of us went to a Dennys (it was either that or a Perkins...) for
      brunch. I managed to get to the restaurant in full kit (i.e. farthingale,
      corset, gown with hanging sleeves... etc) but discovered when we got there
      that because the restaurant was so crowded they put the chairs of our table
      so close together that I just couldn't fit. So, in the middle of the
      restaurant, I undid my farthingale, dropped it, and stepped out of
      it. Everyone stared! We got lots of questions that day and a recruit or
      two. :)

      Cheers,
      Gwendoline