Re: Chopines

  • kyberkiisu
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "_wombat_girl_" <wombat_girl@h...> wrote:
      > I've been considering breaking my ankles and making myself a pair
      of
      > chopines to go with the Venetian Courtesan garb that a number us in
      > my barony are making. Has anyone made a pair?
      > I am looking for tips, hints, or really good pictures of them.
      I've
      > done some research, but could always use more pictures and
      > references!!!
      >
      > Any help would be greatly appreciated!

      Greetings!

      Here's something: http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~ebernhar/index.shtml

      Anneke van deme Boerne
      Reval
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
        At 02:49 PM 3/1/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >I've been considering breaking my ankles and making myself a pair of
        >chopines to go with the Venetian Courtesan garb that a number us in
        >my barony are making. Has anyone made a pair?
        >I am looking for tips, hints, or really good pictures of them. I've
        >done some research, but could always use more pictures and
        >references!!!

        The best link is the last one, but doesn't have the most information.....
        Smiles,
        Despina

        http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~ebernhar/index.shtml

        http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/1495/1600.html

        http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/APP4.HTM

        http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/APP3.HTM

        a book called "Shoes." Written by Linda O'Keefe and published by Workman's
        Press, it's a small pictorial pocket-book of shoe history

        http://www.section12.com/users/debrahyde/feb4.htm

        Lawner, Lives of the Courtesans (New York: Rizzoli, 1987)

        http://www.english.upenn.edu/~higginbj/Paper5.html

        http://193.251.60.36/Jenny/history.htm

        http://www.merchants-medieval.com/cockerel/gallery.html
        sells chopine blocks...... and a lot of other really cool stuff!
      • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
          At 03:08 PM 3/1/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          >--- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "_wombat_girl_" <wombat_girl@h...> wrote:
          > > I've been considering breaking my ankles and making myself a pair
          >of
          > > chopines to go with the Venetian Courtesan garb that a number us in
          > > my barony are making. Has anyone made a pair?
          > > I am looking for tips, hints, or really good pictures of them.
          >I've
          > > done some research, but could always use more pictures and
          > > references!!!
          > >
          > > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
          >
          >Greetings!
          >
          >Here's something:
          ><http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~ebernhar/index.shtml>http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~ebernhar/index.shtml
          >
          >Anneke van deme Boerne
          >Reval

          I actually got to pet a pair of chopines that are almost identical to the
          blue ones on this site (the main difference between the two, was the pair I
          got to play with were a rich golden yellow - even the lace looked pretty
          much the same). You can see the ones I saw here:
          http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~ebernhar/essay.html (top photo). That yellow
          pair were hollow in the middle and had a leather sole about 1/4 inch thick
          laid across the bottom.

          Cheers,
          Gwendoline