Re: [Authentic_SCA] Chopines

  • Kirrily Robert
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
      In lists.sca.authentic-sca, you wrote:
      > I've been considering breaking my ankles and making myself a pair of
      > chopines to go with the Venetian Courtesan garb that a number us in
      > my barony are making. Has anyone made a pair?
      > I am looking for tips, hints, or really good pictures of them. I've
      > done some research, but could always use more pictures and
      > references!!!

      There's been a touring exhibition of shoes going round lately. I saw it
      in Quebec City at Christmas. There was a pair of real live chopines in
      that collection. I believe there's a book of the exhibition available,
      but I don't know if it'd be worth your trouble, since there were only a
      few pairs of SCA-period shoes and you might not be into more modern
      stuff -- though some of it was lovely, especially some of the 1920s
      womens shoes. But you could check to see whether any local museum near
      you has had the exhibition to town, then go look for the book in their
      giftshop and see if it's of any interest.

      Yours,

      Katherine

      katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
    • kyberkiisu
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "_wombat_girl_" <wombat_girl@h...> wrote:
        > I've been considering breaking my ankles and making myself a pair
        of
        > chopines to go with the Venetian Courtesan garb that a number us in
        > my barony are making. Has anyone made a pair?
        > I am looking for tips, hints, or really good pictures of them.
        I've
        > done some research, but could always use more pictures and
        > references!!!
        >
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated!

        Greetings!

        Here's something: http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~ebernhar/index.shtml

        Anneke van deme Boerne
        Reval
      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
          At 02:49 PM 3/1/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          >I've been considering breaking my ankles and making myself a pair of
          >chopines to go with the Venetian Courtesan garb that a number us in
          >my barony are making. Has anyone made a pair?
          >I am looking for tips, hints, or really good pictures of them. I've
          >done some research, but could always use more pictures and
          >references!!!

          The best link is the last one, but doesn't have the most information.....
          Smiles,
          Despina

          http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~ebernhar/index.shtml

          http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/1495/1600.html

          http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/APP4.HTM

          http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/APP3.HTM

          a book called "Shoes." Written by Linda O'Keefe and published by Workman's
          Press, it's a small pictorial pocket-book of shoe history

          http://www.section12.com/users/debrahyde/feb4.htm

          Lawner, Lives of the Courtesans (New York: Rizzoli, 1987)

          http://www.english.upenn.edu/~higginbj/Paper5.html

          http://193.251.60.36/Jenny/history.htm

          http://www.merchants-medieval.com/cockerel/gallery.html
          sells chopine blocks...... and a lot of other really cool stuff!
        • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
            At 03:08 PM 3/1/2002 +0000, you wrote:
            >--- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "_wombat_girl_" <wombat_girl@h...> wrote:
            > > I've been considering breaking my ankles and making myself a pair
            >of
            > > chopines to go with the Venetian Courtesan garb that a number us in
            > > my barony are making. Has anyone made a pair?
            > > I am looking for tips, hints, or really good pictures of them.
            >I've
            > > done some research, but could always use more pictures and
            > > references!!!
            > >
            > > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
            >
            >Greetings!
            >
            >Here's something:
            ><http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~ebernhar/index.shtml>http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~ebernhar/index.shtml
            >
            >Anneke van deme Boerne
            >Reval

            I actually got to pet a pair of chopines that are almost identical to the
            blue ones on this site (the main difference between the two, was the pair I
            got to play with were a rich golden yellow - even the lace looked pretty
            much the same). You can see the ones I saw here:
            http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~ebernhar/essay.html (top photo). That yellow
            pair were hollow in the middle and had a leather sole about 1/4 inch thick
            laid across the bottom.

            Cheers,
            Gwendoline