Re: coif question

  • skyecatuk
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "xina007eu" <Christina_Lemke@h...> wrote:

      > It was on show last year. Unfortunately I cannot direct you very
      > well. You have to go up from the ground floor and there's a kind of
      > ramp, and I think that's where it was when I was there. The same
      case
      > contained a fragment from a quilted jack, one or two embroidered
      > triangular forehead cloths and more small items like that, I think
      > there was also a tailor's goose. IIRC the mid-17th century boy's
      > woolen jacket that was found in a bog was in the same case, too.

      So that would be in the new extension, rather than the Victorian bit
      of the museum, yes?

      I'll see what I can do. Life is very hectic at the mo.

      Lisa
    • xina007eu
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "skyecatuk" <skyecat@h...> wrote:
        > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "xina007eu" <Christina_Lemke@h...> wrote:
        >

        > > It was on show last year. Unfortunately I cannot direct you very
        > > well. You have to go up from the ground floor and there's a kind
        of
        > > ramp, and I think that's where it was when I was there. The same
        > case
        > > contained a fragment from a quilted jack, one or two embroidered
        > > triangular forehead cloths and more small items like that, I
        think
        > > there was also a tailor's goose. IIRC the mid-17th century boy's
        > > woolen jacket that was found in a bog was in the same case, too.
        >
        > So that would be in the new extension, rather than the Victorian
        bit
        > of the museum, yes?
        >
        > I'll see what I can do. Life is very hectic at the mo.
        >
        > Lisa

        Yes, the coif I mean was in the new extension.
        Take it easy, if life is hectic that doesn't mean you have to be
        hectic, too!
        Best regards,

        Christina
      • rowen_g
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "xina007eu" <Christina_Lemke@h...> wrote:
          > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "skyecatuk" <skyecat@h...> wrote:
          >
          > > Is it on show? Where? I could look on Tuesday maybe....
          > >
          > > Lisa
          >
          > It was on show last year. Unfortunately I cannot direct you very
          > well. You have to go up from the ground floor and there's a kind of
          > ramp, and I think that's where it was when I was there. The same
          case
          > contained a fragment from a quilted jack, one or two embroidered
          > triangular forehead cloths and more small items like that, I think
          > there was also a tailor's goose. IIRC the mid-17th century boy's
          > woolen jacket that was found in a bog was in the same case, too.

          It was on show in October (or I wouldn't have spotted it. ;) The
          mostly complete quilted jack was downstairs in another case, and I
          didn't see a fragmentary one at the time.

          The best I can remember, Lisa, is that I went up the stairs closest to
          the feet of the copy of Mary Stewart's effigy - I was sketching her
          coif, and then sketched Esther Inglis' amazing blackwork stomacher,
          and the leather jack, and then went upstairs in a happy daze. I think
          it was in the vicinity of that boy's jacket (1630s? I noted it down at
          the time, but don't have my sketchbook with me.) That jacket is a
          very nice checked fabric [I have *got* to get my pictures located and
          developed...] There were a bunch of fabric fragments in the case
          across from it, iirc.

          Rowen

          (still trying to figure out why the college is open today, after
          shoveling 6+ " of snow - and it's still snowing....)
        • rowen_g
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "skyecatuk" <skyecat@h...> wrote:

            > So that would be in the new extension, rather than the Victorian bit
            > of the museum, yes?
            >
            > I'll see what I can do. Life is very hectic at the mo.

            Yes, the new bit (I think that architect had been in too many castles
            - the stairs are so..... castle-ish.)

            Don't stress yourself with an extra trip - maybe just pop in next time
            you happen to be in that part of the city?

            Rowen
          • xina007eu
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "rowen_g" <rowengr@h...> wrote:
              > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "xina007eu" <Christina_Lemke@h...> wrote:
              > > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "skyecatuk" <skyecat@h...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Is it on show? Where? I could look on Tuesday maybe....
              > > >
              > > > Lisa
              > >
              > > It was on show last year. Unfortunately I cannot direct you very
              > > well. You have to go up from the ground floor and there's a kind
              of
              > > ramp, and I think that's where it was when I was there. The same
              > case
              > > contained a fragment from a quilted jack, one or two embroidered
              > > triangular forehead cloths and more small items like that, I
              think
              > > there was also a tailor's goose. IIRC the mid-17th century boy's
              > > woolen jacket that was found in a bog was in the same case, too.
              >
              > It was on show in October (or I wouldn't have spotted it. ;) The
              > mostly complete quilted jack was downstairs in another case, and I
              > didn't see a fragmentary one at the time.
              >
              > The best I can remember, Lisa, is that I went up the stairs closest
              > the feet of the copy of Mary Stewart's effigy - I was sketching her
              > coif, and then sketched Esther Inglis' amazing blackwork stomacher,
              > and the leather jack, and then went upstairs in a happy daze. I
              think
              > it was in the vicinity of that boy's jacket (1630s? I noted it down
              at
              > the time, but don't have my sketchbook with me.) That jacket is a
              > very nice checked fabric [I have *got* to get my pictures located
              and
              > developed...] There were a bunch of fabric fragments in the case
              > across from it, iirc.
              >
              > Rowen
              >
              > (still trying to figure out why the college is open today, after
              > shoveling 6+ " of snow - and it's still snowing....)

              It's not a fragmentary jack, it's a palm-sized piece of fabric, or
              rather several layers of fabric, quilted in that triangular pattern
              that you see on the jack downstairs.

              Christina
            • skyecatuk
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "rowen_g" <rowengr@h...> wrote:

                > Don't stress yourself with an extra trip - maybe just pop in next
                time
                > you happen to be in that part of the city?

                <G> It's terrible, I know, but I'd never get there if I didn't have a
                reason to.

                It's free on Tuesday evenings IIRC, actually I think it might be free
                all the time now, like the V and A etc. in London.

                Anyway, I'll pop in when I get a chance to.

                Typical, if you live in a historic city, you never go to what's on
                your doorstep.

                Lisa (who works in the New Town)
              • rowen_g
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "skyecatuk" <skyecat@h...> wrote:

                  > <G> It's terrible, I know, but I'd never get there if I didn't have
                  > reason to.

                  <G> I know the feeling - I've been here 30 years and have never toured
                  the Denver Mint.

                  > It's free on Tuesday evenings IIRC, actually I think it might be
                  free
                  > all the time now, like the V and A etc. in London.

                  They didn't charge us last fall, and we were there on a Tuesday and a
                  Wednesday.

                  > Anyway, I'll pop in when I get a chance to.

                  Great. Thanks!

                  Rowen
                • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
                    > I would love to examine some of the coifs I
                    >saw, up close to see if basting/stitching holes were evident...

                    Good point, Gwen. I love it when I can get close enough to a garment to
                    see the holes and the stitches. Nothing compares.

                    Smiles,
                    Despina
                  • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
                      At 07:24 PM 2/27/2002 +0000, you wrote:

                      >Over the weekend (during my head-cold and 16th c movie marathon ;) I
                      >experimented with the pattern from Drea's site and made a couple of
                      >little plain linen coifs. I'm now contemplating making an
                      >embroidered one. Does anyone know if those lovely surviving
                      >embroidered coifs were lined or not? I'm probably going to line mine
                      >to help protect the embroidery, but I was wondering what the evidence
                      >might be.
                      >
                      >Rowen

                      Greetings,

                      Well, I saw 3 embroidered coifs while I was in England. One was definitely
                      unlined and two were mounted in such a fashion that you couldn't tell if
                      they were lined or not. That being said, I do know of a coif or two that
                      have been examined - they show stitch marks and traces of linings which had
                      obviously been removed. Frankly, that makes a lot of sense to me and when
                      I finish my embroidered one, it's going to have a lining tacked in as
                      well. That way, you remove the lining, wash it and stitch it back in so
                      your embroidery is protected. I would love to examine some of the coifs I
                      saw, up close to see if basting/stitching holes were evident...

                      Cheers,
                      Gwendoline