Re: coif question

  • xina007eu
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "skyecatuk" <skyecat@h...> wrote:
      > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "rowen_g" <rowengr@h...> wrote:
      >
      > > The really frustrating thing was that I spent 10 minutes last
      fall
      > > sketching one in Edinburgh and didn't try to dislocate my neck to
      > look
      > > at the inside (I was running out of time and had two other
      garments
      > > to take notes on before I had to meet Guernen & our friend
      John.)
      > > (Ok, wait a minute....)
      > >
      > > Just wrote to the museum's textile department and *asked* them if
      > it's
      > > lined - if I get a response I'll post it. :)
      > >
      > > Rowen
      >
      > Is it on show? Where? I could look on Tuesday maybe....
      >
      > Lisa

      It was on show last year. Unfortunately I cannot direct you very
      well. You have to go up from the ground floor and there's a kind of
      ramp, and I think that's where it was when I was there. The same case
      contained a fragment from a quilted jack, one or two embroidered
      triangular forehead cloths and more small items like that, I think
      there was also a tailor's goose. IIRC the mid-17th century boy's
      woolen jacket that was found in a bog was in the same case, too.

      Best regards,

      Christina
    • skyecatuk
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "xina007eu" <Christina_Lemke@h...> wrote:

        > It was on show last year. Unfortunately I cannot direct you very
        > well. You have to go up from the ground floor and there's a kind of
        > ramp, and I think that's where it was when I was there. The same
        case
        > contained a fragment from a quilted jack, one or two embroidered
        > triangular forehead cloths and more small items like that, I think
        > there was also a tailor's goose. IIRC the mid-17th century boy's
        > woolen jacket that was found in a bog was in the same case, too.

        So that would be in the new extension, rather than the Victorian bit
        of the museum, yes?

        I'll see what I can do. Life is very hectic at the mo.

        Lisa
      • xina007eu
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "skyecatuk" <skyecat@h...> wrote:
          > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "xina007eu" <Christina_Lemke@h...> wrote:
          >

          > > It was on show last year. Unfortunately I cannot direct you very
          > > well. You have to go up from the ground floor and there's a kind
          of
          > > ramp, and I think that's where it was when I was there. The same
          > case
          > > contained a fragment from a quilted jack, one or two embroidered
          > > triangular forehead cloths and more small items like that, I
          think
          > > there was also a tailor's goose. IIRC the mid-17th century boy's
          > > woolen jacket that was found in a bog was in the same case, too.
          >
          > So that would be in the new extension, rather than the Victorian
          bit
          > of the museum, yes?
          >
          > I'll see what I can do. Life is very hectic at the mo.
          >
          > Lisa

          Yes, the coif I mean was in the new extension.
          Take it easy, if life is hectic that doesn't mean you have to be
          hectic, too!
          Best regards,

          Christina
        • rowen_g
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "xina007eu" <Christina_Lemke@h...> wrote:
            > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "skyecatuk" <skyecat@h...> wrote:
            >
            > > Is it on show? Where? I could look on Tuesday maybe....
            > >
            > > Lisa
            >
            > It was on show last year. Unfortunately I cannot direct you very
            > well. You have to go up from the ground floor and there's a kind of
            > ramp, and I think that's where it was when I was there. The same
            case
            > contained a fragment from a quilted jack, one or two embroidered
            > triangular forehead cloths and more small items like that, I think
            > there was also a tailor's goose. IIRC the mid-17th century boy's
            > woolen jacket that was found in a bog was in the same case, too.

            It was on show in October (or I wouldn't have spotted it. ;) The
            mostly complete quilted jack was downstairs in another case, and I
            didn't see a fragmentary one at the time.

            The best I can remember, Lisa, is that I went up the stairs closest to
            the feet of the copy of Mary Stewart's effigy - I was sketching her
            coif, and then sketched Esther Inglis' amazing blackwork stomacher,
            and the leather jack, and then went upstairs in a happy daze. I think
            it was in the vicinity of that boy's jacket (1630s? I noted it down at
            the time, but don't have my sketchbook with me.) That jacket is a
            very nice checked fabric [I have *got* to get my pictures located and
            developed...] There were a bunch of fabric fragments in the case
            across from it, iirc.

            Rowen

            (still trying to figure out why the college is open today, after
            shoveling 6+ " of snow - and it's still snowing....)
          • rowen_g
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "skyecatuk" <skyecat@h...> wrote:

              > So that would be in the new extension, rather than the Victorian bit
              > of the museum, yes?
              >
              > I'll see what I can do. Life is very hectic at the mo.

              Yes, the new bit (I think that architect had been in too many castles
              - the stairs are so..... castle-ish.)

              Don't stress yourself with an extra trip - maybe just pop in next time
              you happen to be in that part of the city?

              Rowen
            • xina007eu
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "rowen_g" <rowengr@h...> wrote:
                > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "xina007eu" <Christina_Lemke@h...> wrote:
                > > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "skyecatuk" <skyecat@h...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Is it on show? Where? I could look on Tuesday maybe....
                > > >
                > > > Lisa
                > >
                > > It was on show last year. Unfortunately I cannot direct you very
                > > well. You have to go up from the ground floor and there's a kind
                of
                > > ramp, and I think that's where it was when I was there. The same
                > case
                > > contained a fragment from a quilted jack, one or two embroidered
                > > triangular forehead cloths and more small items like that, I
                think
                > > there was also a tailor's goose. IIRC the mid-17th century boy's
                > > woolen jacket that was found in a bog was in the same case, too.
                >
                > It was on show in October (or I wouldn't have spotted it. ;) The
                > mostly complete quilted jack was downstairs in another case, and I
                > didn't see a fragmentary one at the time.
                >
                > The best I can remember, Lisa, is that I went up the stairs closest
                > the feet of the copy of Mary Stewart's effigy - I was sketching her
                > coif, and then sketched Esther Inglis' amazing blackwork stomacher,
                > and the leather jack, and then went upstairs in a happy daze. I
                think
                > it was in the vicinity of that boy's jacket (1630s? I noted it down
                at
                > the time, but don't have my sketchbook with me.) That jacket is a
                > very nice checked fabric [I have *got* to get my pictures located
                and
                > developed...] There were a bunch of fabric fragments in the case
                > across from it, iirc.
                >
                > Rowen
                >
                > (still trying to figure out why the college is open today, after
                > shoveling 6+ " of snow - and it's still snowing....)

                It's not a fragmentary jack, it's a palm-sized piece of fabric, or
                rather several layers of fabric, quilted in that triangular pattern
                that you see on the jack downstairs.

                Christina
              • skyecatuk
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "rowen_g" <rowengr@h...> wrote:

                  > Don't stress yourself with an extra trip - maybe just pop in next
                  time
                  > you happen to be in that part of the city?

                  <G> It's terrible, I know, but I'd never get there if I didn't have a
                  reason to.

                  It's free on Tuesday evenings IIRC, actually I think it might be free
                  all the time now, like the V and A etc. in London.

                  Anyway, I'll pop in when I get a chance to.

                  Typical, if you live in a historic city, you never go to what's on
                  your doorstep.

                  Lisa (who works in the New Town)
                • rowen_g
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "skyecatuk" <skyecat@h...> wrote:

                    > <G> It's terrible, I know, but I'd never get there if I didn't have
                    > reason to.

                    <G> I know the feeling - I've been here 30 years and have never toured
                    the Denver Mint.

                    > It's free on Tuesday evenings IIRC, actually I think it might be
                    free
                    > all the time now, like the V and A etc. in London.

                    They didn't charge us last fall, and we were there on a Tuesday and a
                    Wednesday.

                    > Anyway, I'll pop in when I get a chance to.

                    Great. Thanks!

                    Rowen
                  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
                      > I would love to examine some of the coifs I
                      >saw, up close to see if basting/stitching holes were evident...

                      Good point, Gwen. I love it when I can get close enough to a garment to
                      see the holes and the stitches. Nothing compares.

                      Smiles,
                      Despina
                    • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
                        At 07:24 PM 2/27/2002 +0000, you wrote:

                        >Over the weekend (during my head-cold and 16th c movie marathon ;) I
                        >experimented with the pattern from Drea's site and made a couple of
                        >little plain linen coifs. I'm now contemplating making an
                        >embroidered one. Does anyone know if those lovely surviving
                        >embroidered coifs were lined or not? I'm probably going to line mine
                        >to help protect the embroidery, but I was wondering what the evidence
                        >might be.
                        >
                        >Rowen

                        Greetings,

                        Well, I saw 3 embroidered coifs while I was in England. One was definitely
                        unlined and two were mounted in such a fashion that you couldn't tell if
                        they were lined or not. That being said, I do know of a coif or two that
                        have been examined - they show stitch marks and traces of linings which had
                        obviously been removed. Frankly, that makes a lot of sense to me and when
                        I finish my embroidered one, it's going to have a lining tacked in as
                        well. That way, you remove the lining, wash it and stitch it back in so
                        your embroidery is protected. I would love to examine some of the coifs I
                        saw, up close to see if basting/stitching holes were evident...

                        Cheers,
                        Gwendoline