Re: [Authentic_SCA] Period music vs. creativity. (Was: Promoting Authenticity)

  • stephen higa
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2001
      (Sorry I've been sending so many messages!)

      > tested on those and arpeggiation of chords therein. "Mr. Davis?
      > Arpeggiate the Five=-seven of five chord of the Phrygian scale of the
      > relative major of C minor. You have fifteen seconds." I DO NOT LIE.
      > It was a cast-iron pain in the tuchus. That's why we practiced five
      > hours a day. And we were *percussionists!*

      I feel your pain...

      >> Side note: what specific song did you sing? (And is sheet music
      >> available. More sheet music! <pant, pant, drool, drool>
      >
      > Indeed. Charts are ALWAYS welcome, provided due credit is given. Also,
      > if these are your own editions, citation of the MSs -- and how I can get
      > at them -- is insisted upon! :)

      All right, all right you two ;). I don't remember exactly which one it was,
      but it was either "Kalenda Maia" (you've probably heard this one...Raimbaut
      de Vacairas, 1180-1205) or "Dona, si totz temps vivia" (Berenguer de Palol,
      early 12th c., pretty obscure). The first one I got from our music library,
      and of course it was one of those times where one forgets to take down
      bibliographic info when photocopying... The second was from a recording by
      Altramar, but darn it, I haven't been able to find the sheet music anyplace.
      :( However, I shall soon make a trip to our manuscript library to peruse
      the reproductions of the Cantigas de Santa Maria. I'll definitely keep you
      guys updated on that. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure how you can get at
      our manuscripts (at UC Berkeley) from where you guys are, but if you ever
      pay a visit just alert me and I'll make arrangements. :)

      >> It's entirely possible. And it also must be noted that I play "middle
      >> period" -- _Walla Puria_ during the reign of Llewellyn the Great (Wales,
      >> specifically 1200-1205 c.e.). I'm also looking at the Goliards and the
      >> Troubadors / Trouveres of that time period, as this is music that would
      >> (reasonably) have been heard by a relatively well-traveled _bardd_ of
      >> that time.

      Anne Azema: "Le Jeu d'Amour." 13th c. Trouvere songs. This is a great
      recording by one of the greatest voices in medieval music (IMO). Her tone
      is decidedly NOT "bel canto" but it certainly is *bel canto*. ;) It is warm
      and golden and filled to the brim with emotion. She can sweep from
      light-hearted joy to deeply-anguished yearning to bitter anger. Ah! She
      sings like she's spinning gold with her throat!

      Just a recording that might be of interest. :)

      > Recordings are often suspect. Stick with established groups, such as
      > Anonymous 4, the Hilliard Ensemble, etc.

      I totally agree.
      However, I rarely go by "established" groups (sometimes I find that they can
      get kind of similar across recordings) except Boston Camerata; with me, it's
      a hit or miss type of thing. I buy it if it sounds convincing based on the
      Amazon.com audio clips or if I already love the artist (i.e., Boston
      Camerata or Altramar). And if the documentation is lacking or the liner
      notes are rhapsodic and romantic (i.e., talking about knights and ladies and
      crusaders with no real substance) then, miss. But if they do their
      research, and the vocalists are convincing in the repertoire (that's a big
      point for me), then, hit! However, I'm not too fond of Anonymous 4, and I
      haven't had much inclination to look into the Hilliard Ensemble, but that's
      just personal choice. I'm more into the mediterranean repertoire...and that
      repertoire has its own amazing interpreters.

      >> And that's the other side of things -- I have to admit that I also love
      >> "SCA Filk." True, it's more appropriate for revels than the "catual"
      >> event, but I will admit that some rogue who looks suspiciously like me
      >> has been seen at revels singing "Cold Beer" and "The Ball of Balyknure."
      >> (But it wasn't me -- it was my evil twin Skippy. <g>)
      >
      > Too true. I enjoy performing liturgical chant, organum, Minne- and
      > Meistersingerlieder, troubadour chansons, ad infinitum. I also enjoy
      > singing The Chemise Song. ;-) Timing is everything; ask a Court herald.

      all right, all right. I guess my problem is that I just don't know any SCA
      songs, and to tell the truth, I just don't really have any desire to. ;)

      Moshe
      Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
      menhs en cort que de belh saber
      de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer