Re: [Authentic_SCA] Japanese garb

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 27, 2002
      On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Scarlet Hunter wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      > I am in the very beginning processes of making a
      > Japanese persona and was wondering if any of you knew
      > a place that sells authentic Japanese garb? Otherwise,
      > does anyone know where I can get info on women's dress
      > in pre-17th century Japan?

      I don't know of any place that sells it, although I know some sources and
      other places to look.

      The big question is 'when'? Are you looking for Heian period, or the
      sparser wear of later years? Western contact (16th
      Century--Momoyama-Azuchi Era) or not?

      Kass' page is an excellent place to go look. If you are interested, I
      might be able to get more stuff to you if you know what you want (although
      the basic patterns seem to stay fairly constant, for the most part, at
      least compared to western dress.)

      -Ii