Re: [Authentic_SCA] fencing armor, was:speaking of...

  • Sarah Michele Ford
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002
      On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Ariane Helou wrote:

      > Alianor wrote:
      > >It's not so much a matter of time as of the documentation being on my home
      > >computer at the moment. 2 layers of linen passes, but doesn't offer so
      > >much padding. ;^) I've been getting many more bruises than I'm used to
      > >since I started fighting in this.
      >
      > I bet! Ouch. Well...maybe a doublet would be easier to pad than a
      > tunic? Or I could just wear a corset underneath. That covers the area
      > where one is most likely to be hit - and I don't think I can get a bruise
      > through that thing ;-)

      The issue of corsets has been hashed to death on the ladyrapier list. You
      COULD do a quilted lining or something of the like for the doublet - but
      that would add warmth. And I mostly get arm bruises. I didn't fence for
      a month before my wedding because I didn't want to have to try to hide my
      varying-shades-of-purple biceps (our calibration has improved since then).

      > >I'm going to add a 5-oz undertunic
      > >(which will go between my skin and my chest protector) at some point,
      > >which will both make the armor pass a punch test for longer AND give me
      > >just a bit more protection from evidence of poking. So eventually it will
      > >be three layers, but they will be three layers of linen. Keep in mind
      > >also that armor standards vary from kingdom to kingdom.
      >
      > That's true. Ours have gone down to "normal" (ie, the equivalent of 4
      > layers of trigger cloth instead of 8!!) - I think what you described should
      > fit them. I can double check.

      These are equivalent to 4 layers of trigger by the "put the fabric on the
      ground and jab at it 4 times with a broken foil" method. Some folks are
      in the process of developing a drop-tester, and I don't know if it'll pass
      a drop-test (not all trigger passes at 4 layers).

      > >It'd be less hot than the cotton/poly you're probably wearing now, but
      > >what makes the linen cool is that it *breathes*. So you'll definitely be
      > >cooler in just linen.
      >
      > Cool :-) I haven't fenced at event in months, simply because it is so darn
      > uncomfortable...

      The difference is unbelievable. I still practice in my Triplette
      jacket and it's so much hotter.

      > >You might be interested in joining the Ladyrapier list (also on
      > >yahoogroups) - at least to look at the armor patterns in the files
      > >section.
      >
      > OK - I'll check it out, thanks! :-)

      Maybe I'll see ya there.

      Alianor

      Sarah Michele Ford
      Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
      reality is but an exception.
      --Jean Baudrillard