Bathing

  • Mark Calderwood
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2002
      Greetings again cousins,
      I have been researching period bathing of late, and have a question: does
      anyone know for sure where remnants of those large bathing tubs have been
      found? I thought there was one found at Kenilworth, but seems I
      mis-remembered. Does anyone have any info on these or can point me to any
      good references (preferably on-line for the moment)? Also if anyone has any
      references for preaching against prostitution in bath houses. Also I seem
      to remember Moshe posting references for period toothpaste-could you tell
      me where this is from? Thanks.

      Giles
    • Kirrily Robert
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2002
        Giles wrote:
        > Also if anyone has any
        > references for preaching against prostitution in bath houses.

        I have a book which is *full* of this stuff. It's called "Medieval
        Prostitution" and the author is, um, something French. Usually I'd
        offer to quote relevant parts of it, but I swear that in this case it
        would be the entire book.

        Amazon should have bibliographic details, let me find them... yes, here
        it is: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0760701199

        An amazon search for "medieval prostitution" shows up a number of other
        titles, too... could be a good starting point for an inter-library loan
        run.

        Yours,

        Katherine

        katherine@... http://infotrope.net/sca/
      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8, 2002
          Kindly place this book into our database at Yahoo. Thanks.

          Smiles,
          Despina