Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Religion

  • Bob Davis
    Message 1 of 62 , Mar 3, 2001
      stephen higa wrote:

      > > According to research done by myself and others (Kass, HALP!), wearing
      > > of religious insignia of any kind is actually quite late-period. The
      > > only people to be found wearing crosses, for example, were clergy. The
      > > only other people to wear clothing/accouterments designed to openly
      > > display their religious tendencies were Jews, AFAIK.
      >
      > What does AFAIK mean?

      As Far As I Know.

      > Well, my persona IS a Jew, so that's how I get away with it. ;)
      > Unfortunately, being a very observant Jew, I can't get out of a lot of those
      > accoutrements. Fortunately, I live in Spain where folks are more tolerant
      > and I don't have to worry about displaying my religious persuasions.

      Elsewhere, in the Isles as well as the Continent, Jews were tolerated as
      long as they were useful (you know, like lending money and such;
      stereotypes come from somewhere, as unfortunate as they are). And so
      that everyone knew when a Jew was about, they were often made by force
      of law to wear distinctive attire.

      > As for the cross thing, that is very interesting...Well, not like I see
      > people wearing crosses at events that much, anyway. So in that way the SCA
      > is (unintentionally) more authentic!

      Indeed!

      Pax

      -RfT
    • stephen higa
      Message 62 of 62 , Mar 7, 2001
        > It was indeed magical...well, up until a boot came flying out the tent of
        > someone with a hangover and hit the caller!
        >
        > Allaaaaahu akb- ow! :o)

        no, really??

        Okay, I'm going to try it at the next event. Of course, I'll have to wake
        up at dawn, but there you go.

        I don't have a Muslim persona, but no one will know who it is, they'll just
        hear it ringing out. I hope to create "magic moments" for people by doing
        that, especially the Muslim personae who just might follow the summons and
        kneel to face Mecca in prayer.

        Moshe
        Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
        menhs en cort que de belh saber