Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Ethnic Medieval Music

  • Stephen Higa
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2000
      Unfortunately, according to my understanding, actual manuscripts are scarce
      or nonexistant. Of course, we sometimes get biblical cantillation symbols
      for medieval Jewish biblical texts, but aside from that...Occasionally the
      lyrics to songs in the modern oral traditions bear close resemblance to the
      documentably medieval texts, so some inferences can be made from that.

      Parallel Christian traditions supposed to be influenced by non-western
      musics (i.e., the Cantigas de Santa Maria, dance music, troubadour songs)
      can also provide important clues. I was looking through a book on Medieval
      Jewish music, and it provided a rare example of a documentably period Ladino
      folk song, "Ea Judios"--I played the melody from the given notation, and
      found that it bore a STRIKING resemblance to Cantiga 100, "Santa Maria
      strela do dia"...

      There's a book published by UC Berkeley I'm currently trying to find called
      "Ten Hispano-Arabic Songs in the Modern Oral Tradition" by James Monroe and
      Benjamin Liu. I've heard that this is an excellent resource for tracing
      traditional muwashshahat to their medieval roots. So that's a good book to
      try and get a hold of, if you can find it.

      en serviçio del sueño,
      Moshe Mantega
      Todo callado, todo 'stava'n silencio,
      Como la nuve'n a la escuridad.