Re: Photos

  • Mark Calderwood
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
      >Alright everyone, let's post those pics!

      Ok, Moshe, here's my tuppence ha'penny...I've just uploaded three pics to
      the files of my most authentic scribal work for those who are interested.

      The first is a re-created leaf from a book of hours for the hour of Sext,
      in the style of several French manuscripts of the 1470's, including the
      Grande Hours of Anne of Brittany (1476) and the Hours of Mary of Burgundy
      (1477). The leaf measures 9.8 cm x 10.4 cm.

      The second is an SCA award scroll for a Grant of Arms, based on several
      early 16th century English documents, including the Letters of Credence of
      Cardinal Wolsey (1532), and the Election of Francis I to the Order of the
      Garter (1527), and documents of deed to Beaulieu Abbey (1528). The helm is
      styled after a woodcut Albrecht Durer (1520), and the Pelican is after
      design on a carved German box (1525). The hand is Fraktur script based on
      an example from the Prayerbook of the Emperor Maximilian (1514), and the
      delicate penwork around is cadel capital is typical of English and German
      documents of the time. This scan unfortunately does not do the work
      justice, as it does not pickup the fine detail. The mss mearsures 110cm x
      42cm.

      The third is an award scroll for the Order of the Pelican, based on several
      Flemish mss of the early 16th century (including the Hastings Hours, 1502)
      in the distinctive Ghent-Bruges style of illumination, depicting
      illusionistic flowers and insects on a liquid gold background. Each of the
      flowers was chosen for it's symbolic meaning according to popular period
      practice referring to the Flemish spiritual movement called devotio
      moderna. The mss measures 15.3 cm x 10.5 cm; the letters are 3mm high.

      These mss were done on archival quality imitation vellum (real vellum is
      currently unobtainable in Australia), written with carbon ink and quills,
      illuminated with 23 carat gold leaf and period mineral pigments, basically
      they were as authentic as I could make them.

      cheers
      Giles
    • stephen higa
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2001
        Oh, those are simply beautiful! you, sir have a fine hand (and an excellent
        eye for the medieval style).

        Yes, I should've added that we also want things you've created in a medieval
        style.

        Moshe
        Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
        menhs en cort que de belh saber