Tweaking noses of so-called "experts" (Longish)

  • dtjacobson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2002
      I took the liberty of posting a warning about the Medieval Online
      website on the Adrian Empire BBS. Lo and behold! I got this e-mail
      last night about it from Dame Aleska, the ruler of the Archduchy of
      Caerleon (roughly An Tir):

      <<This site didn't just depress us, we got angry. They portray
      fantasy and are obviously breaking many copywrite laws. We have
      talked to a few folks about this, including talking to
      themselves. . .

      My husband wrote them (giving his qualifications) asking them what
      exactly their "certified historian" was, and critiqued their weapons
      and armor section (complete with D and D illustrations!). They wrote
      back saying that they recently took over the site from the previous
      owners, and know that there are "a few errors". They took down the
      weapons and armor section immediately!

      Rob-- er, Phaelan--wrote them again saying that their site is the
      absolute worst thing purporting to be history he has EVER seen, and
      again asked what they considered to be a "certified" historian and
      their response? Nothing to us, but they did just now take down the
      contact link to their "certified historians" so no one else can write
      them!

      We also contacted the History channel to find out if they really know
      what site it is that they are supporting....either the History
      Channel is completely bogus, or the History channel support graphic
      has been lifted (like the rest of their images from Cas Iberia and
      TSR D&D)

      I think if we band together when we find sites like this, we can get
      them to fall into line or something.... Its NOT amusing. Its a
      disgrace, and part of our educational purpose should be to correct
      such misinformation when we can.>>

      As you can tell by her writing, Aleska is a very passionate woman;
      she also used to be a journalism professor. Her husband, Phaelan, is
      an archaeologist and artist, and teaches classes at the University of
      Idaho. I received an e-mail from him this morning, granting me
      permission to repost to this list, and he said that he wasn't
      confrontational or anything; they just "clammed up." 8-)

      All in all, an interesting situation. Will this be the first time a
      history-related website is forced to a higher standard? Stay tuned to
      find out. 8-D

      Maud

      P.S.: I wrote to them myself, calling them on the inaccuracies of
      their description of weaving as an occupation (they called it "a
      hobby" <grrrrrrr>).