Elizabethan smocks

  • skyecatuk
    Message 1 of 159 , Feb 1, 2002
      OK, I'm going to try to get my act together and do some underwear
      this weekend.

      I was thinking of using Drea's smock pattern generator to make some
      basic smocks that could be used for both Tudor and Elizabethan. I
      have heard that the pattern generator makes up to be a bit bulky at
      the shoulders, and wondered if any of you have had any experiences
      with it?

      Lisa
    • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
      Message 159 of 159 , Feb 7, 2002
        At 04:13 PM 2/7/2002 -0500, you wrote:
        >Gwendoline wrote:
        > > Some of the books I picked up in England might be of interest to you (the
        > > places I bought them in parentheses):
        > >
        > > "Pleasures and Pastimes in Tudor England" by Alison Sim (Hampton Court
        > Palace)
        > > "Food and Cooking in 16th Century Britain: History and recipes" by Peter
        > > Brears (Museum of London)
        > > "The Private Life of an Elizabethan Lady: The Diary of Lady Margaret Hoby
        > > 1599-1605" edited by Joanna Moody (British Museum)
        > > A book about the household? wardrobe? accounts of Bess of Hardwick - I
        > > can't find the book at present, my husband shelved it for me... (V & A)
        > > "Elizabethan Households: An Anthology" by Lena Cowen Orlin (I didn't get
        > > this one in England - Kalamazoo - but I thought you might be interested
        > anyway)
        >
        >Yup, I've already either got these or got them on my must-get list.
        >Though I'm not sure about the Hardwick one... I'll look out for it.
        >Wonder if the V&A website has an online shop?
        >
        >FWIW, I found the Sim to be pretty lightweight and the Brears is really
        >just a pamphlet. Brears has a fabulous book called "All the King's
        >Cooks", though, about the kitchens at Hampton Court Palace, which I have
        >and love.

        Thanks, I haven't really looked at the Sim yet, I just figured I would add
        it to the bookshelf. I figured I would pick up the Brears it was only a
        pound or two.

        The V & A shop is http://www.vandashop.co.uk/ and

        Despina, you would be interested in
        http://www.vandashop.co.uk/?f=itemdetl.php&p=41070 The Portrait Miniature
        in England by Katherine Coombs.

        I didn't see this while I was there but it looks interesting...
        http://www.vandashop.co.uk/?f=itemdetl.php&p=02563

        Add this to the I didn't see this while I was there but it looks
        interesting catagory... http://www.vandashop.co.uk/?f=itemdetl.php&p=06529

        Actually, the Bess of Hardwick book is "Of Houshold Stuff: The 1601
        Inventories of Bess of Hardwick." It's by the National Trust and has an
        ISBN of 0-7078-0329-2 You can try searching at
        http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/

        Cheers,
        Gwendoline