Re: embroidery discovery

  • xina007eu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2002
      The thread may simply have disintegrated. This happens with most
      blackwork because the dyes used for the black silk threads eat up the
      silk fibres so that all old blackwork (and probably other embroidery
      as well) is doomed - it self-destructs.
      Best regards,

      Christina

      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@s...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone... you may remember a couple of weeks ago I posted
      about my
      > plans to use a detail from the Bostocke Sampler as a cushion...
      >
      > Well, as part of my planning I decided to get my hands on a copy of
      King
      > and Levey's *The Victoria and Albert Museum's Textile
      > Collection: Embroidery in Britain from 1200 to 1750* which has a
      picture
      > of the Real Thing (tm).
      >
      > Upon examination of the section I'm planning to do, I made a
      > discovery: there apparently used to be another bird in that
      tree!!! Was
      > the bird removed on purpose? Were those stitches simply lost? I
      don't
      > know; the latter seems a tad unlikely given the generally good
      condition
      > of the rest of the piece.
      >
      > I've uploaded a scan of the whole thing, the detail portion, and
      Carol
      > Hanson's (of dragonbear.com) chart of it. The missing bird doesn't
      appear
      > in her chart, but I think I may give myself severe eyestrain and
      try to
      > add it. (Severe eyestrain 'cause this will require squinting
      really hard
      > at the small picture to count holes and translate those holes into
      where
      > the heck the stitches were.)
      >
      > I wonder if the bird really was supposed to be a part of the tree
      with the
      > pelican and the squirrel in it because 1) there's the relative-size
      issue.
      > The bird is the same size as the pelican, and some bigger than the
      > squirrel. My first inclination was to say "oh, it's a raven" but
      now I'm
      > not so sure. And 2) Right next to, and touching, the removed bird
      is what
      > appears to be an elephant, which is also missing. Clearly, the
      elephant
      > does not belong in the tree.
      >
      > The relevant files are:

      > (the detail of the sampler)

      > (most of the whole sampler - the pages of the book are a tad bigger
      than
      > the bed on the departmental scanner...)

      > (Carol's chart of the relevant detail)
      >
      > Done rambling at you. Don't hurt your eyes too much squinting at
      the
      > images - it really does show up much better in real life.
      >
      > Alianor
      >
      > PS - Gaius, if you really want to freak Rusty's s**t out, tell him
      that
      > the Dark Melm of Sith and Jedi Melm say hi. Trust me, he'll know
      what you
      > mean.
      >
      > Sarah Michele Ford
      > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
      > Illusion is the general rule of the universe;
      > reality is but an exception.
      > --Jean Baudrillard
      > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
    • Jeff Gedney
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1 6:25 AM
        I have taken the liberty of digitally enhancing the tree section of the
        Bostocke sampler, to show the needle holes more clearly, and added an
        outline of the bird area in question.
        I note that one leg of the elephant reamins, so I think that the theory that
        the image just rotted off is quite likely.
        In the files section ... Alianor's stuff.

        I hope you don't mind Alianor, but I thought these pictures should be kept
        together...

        Elias Gedney

        Studium doscendi volutate quae cogi non potest constat.

      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1 6:36 AM
          At 09:25 AM 2/1/2002 -0500, you wrote:
          >I have taken the liberty of digitally enhancing the tree section of the
          >Bostocke sampler, to show the needle holes more clearly, and added an
          >outline of the bird area in question.
          >I note that one leg of the elephant reamins, so I think that the theory that
          >the image just rotted off is quite likely.
          >In the files section ... Alianor's stuff.

          Very cool and thank you Elias, I can now see what it is that she is
          speaking of.

          I hope you do put in the other bird, Alianor! It would be wonderful!

          Smiles,
          Despina
        • Sarah Michele Ford
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1 10:23 AM
            On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Jeff Gedney wrote:

            > I have taken the liberty of digitally enhancing the tree section of the
            > Bostocke sampler, to show the needle holes more clearly, and added an
            > outline of the bird area in question.
            > I note that one leg of the elephant reamins, so I think that the theory that
            > the image just rotted off is quite likely.
            > In the files section ... Alianor's stuff.
            >
            > I hope you don't mind Alianor, but I thought these pictures should be kept
            > together...

            Of course I don't mind! Thank you! It wasn't until I wanted to show my
            discovery to Matatias last night that I found that it wasn't too clear in
            some instances (I'd already looked at it with both a "real" monitor and my
            laptop...)

            Alianor

            Sarah Michele Ford
            /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1 10:37 AM
              On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil wrote:

              > I hope you do put in the other bird, Alianor! It would be wonderful!

              I intend to, and here's why. When I eventually get around to making and
              registering arms, they're going to have ravens on them (for Ravenglass) -
              probably 3. If I make the bird black/dark grey like the squirrel,
              voila! A raven, and a personal mark on something that's going to be a
              gift for a friend.

              Yay!

              Alianor

              Sarah Michele Ford