Re: I'm not sure...

  • dtjacobson
    Message 1 of 114 , Jan 31, 2002
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:

      > Chenonceau (I'll fight you for it, Maud...)

      Let's not fight. 8-D You can have the chateau and the Marie (?)
      d'Medici garden, I'll take the summer house, the orangerie and the
      Diane de Poiters garden, and we'll split the swans (and then
      roast 'em!).

      And those are just the one's I personally

      Sounds like we went to a lot of the same places. I just hope your
      trip didn't include 90+ heat (with appropriate humidity) and
      chaperoning a bunch of high-school students. 8-P

      The next time I go to France, I'm not taking any kids (except Jakob).

    • dtjacobson
      Message 114 of 114 , Feb 4, 2002
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Jeff Gedney" <gedney1@i...> wrote:

        > > The "launch" is an 8-foot fiberglass dinghy.
        > >
        > > The boat is too small for the crew to live on (it's only 23')
        > >
        > > The river freezes in the winter, and would crush her delicate
        > > sides.
        > >
        > > I guess the only solution is to file the necessary permits with
        > > the appropriate local, county, state, and federal agencies, and
        > > one of the boathouses into something where "the little girl" can
        > > sleep comfortably during the winter. 8-)
        > >
        > > Or just keep her in the San Francisco Bay where she belongs. 8-)
        > >
        > > Maud
        > > (who really has far too many toys)
        > >

        > An thou art upgrading to a castle and manor, Milaydie Maude, then I
        > presume for thee to upgrayde thy craft similarly, that thou
        shouldst keep
        > balance as thou ought to doe, for the sake of thy staytion.
        > Howsomeever, there are goodlie wayes to tayke such a small craft
        and keep
        > her through the winter without harm to her hull. I would thou
        > playce her in drydocke, to keep the wormes from her hull, as I hear
        that the
        > Teredoe worm is rife in thy ports. If she is kept well blocked, and
        > properly propped withall, she shall not hogge, and lose ther
        > lines. She may leake a little upon refloating, that is the nature
        of boates
        > when they have dried out, but, I doubt not that you will have had
        > properly scrapped, recaulked, and the bottomes properly payed with
        pitch to
        > keep this leake form being more than a seepage. If thou wisheth to
        > her in fresh water, and keep her afloat through the winter, there
        is a
        > devise thou mayest use, whych is yclept a bubbler, and the action
        of whych
        > kepeth the Ice from the hull, preserving it.
        > There are wayes.
        > There are alwayes wayes, for the minde of man is ingenious, as God
        > ordained, and it seemeth amiss, as Kepler saieth, that we should be
        > plessed with a goodlye minde and meant to forgoe its use, thus are
        > alwayes inventing new wayes of doing olde things.
        > Elias Gedney
        > Studium doscendi volutate quae cogi non potest constat.

        Answered offline ('cause it was getting really OT). 8-)