Fwd: New Costume Book! (advertisement)

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2002
      Putting this up for general knowledge, I have no affiliations, etc. yada,
      yada, yada..... Smiles, Despina

      >Yes, I know I already sent a book advertisement this month and I usually
      >feel that any more than that is an imposition. However, the dire lack of
      >decent books on medieval costuming has long been a favorite rant of mine,
      >often directed at publishers' representatives, but, in a pinch, at anyone
      >who will listen. Dover has been reprinting some things the last few
      >years, but their best titles (the Norris books) were written in the
      >1930s. There have been a few new very scholarly books published, some
      >things on very late period garb and some books directed at the very
      >knowledgeable, but there is nothing out there really suitable for the
      >person who wishes to move up from make garb from McCall's patterns. (end
      >of rant)
      >
      >Anyway, yesterday I got my copies of The Medieval Tailor's
      >Assistant:Making Common Garments 1200-1500 by Sarah Thursfield ($39.95
      >paperback) and on the whole, I am well pleased. Her main goal is to
      >prepare working patterns that recreate the look of the period rather than
      >aim for exact historical accuracy, although she is not indifferent to it.
      >She tackles underwear, children's clothes and hats as well as the usual
      >gowns and cloaks. Her emphasis seems to more on the garb of middle class
      >and working people (men & women), rather than court garb. On the first
      >page-through, I thought "I know about most of this already" but on reading
      >it, even a bit, I was finding all sorts of things of use.
      >
      >A few footnotes on things like sources, would have made me happier, as
      >would have the inclusion of Italian Renaissance clothes. Although the
      >costumes laurels would probably find this too elementary, I will
      >definitely recommend the book to the rest of us, new and not so new.
      >
      >This is up on the web site now, for easy ordering.
      >
      >Janet Davis
      >Castle Furnishings
      ><http://www.medievalbookstore.com>http://www.medievalbookstore.com
    • Marianne Perdomo Machin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2002
        I saw a less favourable review not too long ago. The main fault seemed to be
        that she bases some patterns on historical ones, while others are just made up
        to give the right effect, *but* she did not say which were one or the other.
        Alas, I seem not to have saved that review, but I might have read in the
        Firestryker forum, or perhaps Perfectly Period Forums (and of course I can't
        find at at quick glance).

        URLs for these, in case anyone's interested enough to search:
        http://www.bobhurley.net/cgi-bin/mpp_ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi
        http://www.wolfeargent.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

        Of course, it's only a fault for some and i would probably get it anyway if I
        didn't have such along list of things I want *first*. ;)

        Have fun!

        Marianne
      • Steven Proctor
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2002
          Well, I just, in a fit of economic recklessness, ordered a copy. I'll do
          a review when it gets in and I've read through it a bit, and let you all
          know what I think (for what that's worth... :-)) about it.

          For any who are interested, Amazon.com is selling the MoL 'Shoes and
          Pattens' and "fabric and textiles' as a set, at about US$27.00
          savings.... That made the trip even more reckless... :-/

          Thanks for the links, by the way. Those are very cool... :-)

          Ta

          Morgan

          ...can you tell I'm a link junkie?...

          Marianne Perdomo Machin wrote:

          > I saw a less favourable review not too long ago. The main fault seemed to be
          > that she bases some patterns on historical ones, while others are just made up
          > to give the right effect, *but* she did not say which were one or the other.
          > Alas, I seem not to have saved that review, but I might have read in the
          > Firestryker forum, or perhaps Perfectly Period Forums (and of course I can't
          > find at at quick glance).
          >
          > URLs for these, in case anyone's interested enough to search:
          > http://www.bobhurley.net/cgi-bin/mpp_ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi
          > http://www.wolfeargent.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
          >
          > Of course, it's only a fault for some and i would probably get it anyway if I
          > didn't have such along list of things I want *first*. ;)
          >
          > Have fun!
          >
          > Marianne
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > []

          "I could tell you stories about this road we shall be traveling," the
          old man told his young companions as he leaned on his staff and stroked
          his silver beard, "of how it was built by Dwarves of the Barad-dur in
          the days of Thranduil the Great, numberless years before the Elves of
          the Ered Luin left their silver woods in Lindon, sailed their ships over
          the Western Sea, and passed from the knowledge of men, but what would
          you learn from these tales, except that I squandered my college years
          reading far too much Tolkien instead of meeting girls."
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 29, 2002
            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
            > Well, I just, in a fit of economic recklessness, ordered a copy.
            > I'll do a review when it gets in and I've read through it a bit,
            > and let you all know what I think (for what that's worth... :-))
            > about it.

            That would help. I hesitate to drop that much money on a book I can't
            look at first. I am also vowed to no fits of economic recklessness
            until I am gainfully employed. (I just returned from a job fair
            downtown and hopefully someone besides Gaius will decide I'm just
            what they're looking for.)

            Oh, and congratulations to Effingham (and a hearty "Banzai" from
            Makiwara to Him Who Wears Foliage).

            Jehanne