Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Religion

  • stephen higa
    Message 1 of 62 , Mar 1 6:28 PM
      > According to research done by myself and others (Kass, HALP!), wearing
      > of religious insignia of any kind is actually quite late-period. The
      > only people to be found wearing crosses, for example, were clergy. The
      > only other people to wear clothing/accouterments designed to openly
      > display their religious tendencies were Jews, AFAIK.

      What does AFAIK mean?

      Well, my persona IS a Jew, so that's how I get away with it. ;)
      Unfortunately, being a very observant Jew, I can't get out of a lot of those
      accoutrements. Fortunately, I live in Spain where folks are more tolerant
      and I don't have to worry about displaying my religious persuasions.

      As for the cross thing, that is very interesting...Well, not like I see
      people wearing crosses at events that much, anyway. So in that way the SCA
      is (unintentionally) more authentic!

      > In-DEED. Then I won't ask. ;-)

      :)

      Moshe
      Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
      menhs en cort que de belh saber
      de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
      hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
      e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.

      --Guiraut Riquier, 1292
    • stephen higa
      Message 62 of 62 , Mar 7 4:20 PM
        > It was indeed magical...well, up until a boot came flying out the tent of
        > someone with a hangover and hit the caller!
        >
        > Allaaaaahu akb- ow! :o)

        no, really??

        Okay, I'm going to try it at the next event. Of course, I'll have to wake
        up at dawn, but there you go.

        I don't have a Muslim persona, but no one will know who it is, they'll just
        hear it ringing out. I hope to create "magic moments" for people by doing
        that, especially the Muslim personae who just might follow the summons and
        kneel to face Mecca in prayer.