Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Promoting Authenticity (was Religion)

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
      > But I'm preaching to the choir here, so let me ask- how do you folk
      promote
      > "doing it the authentic way"?

      Giles, I agree with Brighid that if you show people it's easier and cheaper
      to do it authentically, that it tends to work. I mean, in our Kingdom
      (East) when Mistress Thorkatla showed people how to make Greenland gowns out
      of 4 yards of fabric rather than 12, they nearly sainted her! =) Whenever
      I teach newbie classes to college kids, I preach "period is cheap and easy"
      alot.

      From the feedback I've received about my Beginners' Pages
      (http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners), I think that was the best
      thing I could do for people. For those of you who haven't seen them, it's a
      serious of pages for absolute beginners and it shows them how to make
      garments based on extant examples. So far, everyone's been raving about "I
      never knew it would be this easy!"

      But the biggest impact I think I've had came quite by accident. Three of my
      best friends in the SCA have recently told me that they ripped out a seam or
      undid some embroidery entirely because they felt like I was sitting on their
      shoulder, wearing a halo and wings, shaking my finger and saying, "Nuh uh
      uh... That's not how They would have done it..."

      I don't know how they come by this guilt. None of them are Catholic! ;)

      Kass
    • stephen higa
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
        > But I'm preaching to the choir here, so let me ask- how do you folk promote
        > "doing it the authentic way"? Speaking for myself, I get a huge buzz out of
        > tracking down some obscure piece of documentation and trying the period
        > experiment, but I freely admit I'm that sort of geek (and frustrated
        > academic!) :o) How do people feel authenticity can best be promoted-or even
        > *should* it be promoted?

        Well, not only is it easier and cheaper (as Kass and Brighid excellently
        pointed out), but sometimes it's just more *interesting* and *fun* (sorry,
        the little stars are there for pleasure ;)). With period music--what I'm
        most puritanical about--all I do is ONLY perform period stuff (okay,
        sometimes complain that certain popular local songs don't even sound
        remotely medieval, but that's another story).

        Most of the time, what Vittoria and I do will be the only period music at an
        event...and people seem to appreciate it. I mean, who wants to hear another
        modern folk song or filk, however funny it may be? Listening to real live
        medieval music--to me--is simply more interesting. I think most people in
        the SCA secretly appreciate efforts at authenticity even if they don't wish
        to do it themselves...so when other people take the extra time to research
        the medieval songs, vocal styles, instrumental techniques, historical
        pronunciatioin, &c. they appreciate it far more than 70's-style rock ballads
        in praise of one's kingdom.

        Or maybe it's just wishful thinking?

        Moshe
        Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
        menhs en cort que de belh saber
        de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
        hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
        e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.

        --Guiraut Riquier, 1292

        ----------
        >From: Mark Calderwood <mark-c@...>
        >To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Promoting Authenticity (was Religion)
        >Date: Thu, Mar 1, 2001, 6:14 AM
        >

        >>Here, here! I've been called a "stick-up-the-butt-History-Puritan" and --
        >>although true ;) -- the two phrases "stick-up-the-butt" and
        >>"History-Puritan" don't necessarily go together.
        >
        > I agree. Now I might have had a privileged life coming from Lochac :o), but
        > I must confess, I've never really understood this perception of "being
        > authentic is too hard". Doing things the authentic way is usually in my
        > experience more effective and easier than a modern approximation. Garb made
        > to period cuts looks better and is more comfortable, a char made with
        > period joins wil wear a lot better than one glued together. Period food is
        > completely yumbo, and in a lot of cases beats the tar out of standard
        > modern food. I think if you're going to do something, go that extra yard
        > and do it right.
        >
        > But I'm preaching to the choir here, so let me ask- how do you folk promote
        > "doing it the authentic way"? Speaking for myself, I get a huge buzz out of
        > tracking down some obscure piece of documentation and trying the period
        > experiment, but I freely admit I'm that sort of geek (and frustrated
        > academic!) :o) How do people feel authenticity can best be promoted-or even
        > *should* it be promoted?
        >
        > Giles "Devil's Advocate" Laval
        >

        > This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

      • Greg Williams
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001

          I lead by example.  People take a look at my personal encampment and see just how little is really needed for comfort and authentisity.  I follow the theory that, as an 11th century norse sailor, I would have only what I could carry and stow aboard ship. It's really a less is more approach to being authentic.  I, like Brighid, am a closet academic and love to track down the most minute details and then prance around the library like a football player making a touchdown (not a pretty sight by the way).

          I'm finding this conversation extremely interesting because in addition to this list, I'm on another living history list that is talking about how the SCA is not a true re-enactment group because as a whole nobody promotes any standards of authentisity.  I do think that, at least in the West Kingdom, there has been improvements made all around.  I see less and less T-tunic/blue jean combos even on Sunday afternoon and more garb that passes the 5 foot test (if it looks period from 5 feet away then you're ok).  The key to this is that key people who are extremely visable to the populace have tried to be as authentic as possible and are willing to share their knowledge with newcomers.

          Gotfred

            Brighid the-short-blonde-Scot <lady_Brighid@...> wrote:

          But I'm preaching to the choir here, so let me ask- how do you folk promote
          "doing it the authentic way"? Speaking for myself, I get a huge buzz out of
          tracking down some obscure piece of documentation and trying the period
          experiment, but I freely admit I'm that sort of geek (and frustrated
          academic!) :o) How do people feel authenticity can best be promoted-or even
          *should* it be promoted?

          Personally I think part of it is the jump-on-the-bandwagon thing. If more people show how much fun it is, or you can prove to someone it's _cheaper_ or _easier_ to do it period (those are the best catch phrases), not off-the-bat saying it's _authentic_. Those that aren't authenticity buffs will only buy it if you can give it to them in their perspective. If you tell a college kid in the SCA they can do it cheaper, or a working person that they can do it faster and easier, and prove how, then they will do it that way and be very happy if you showed them how.

          Brighid

          All for the cheaper solutions for the best craftsmanship.

          This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

          Do You Yahoo!?