Re: [Authentic_SCA] Rolled and other pleating puzzles

  • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
    Message 1 of 69 , Jan 2 9:20 PM
      At 06:33 PM 1/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:
      >In their discussion of the pleating in a skirt depicted in
      >Cossa's "Triumph of Venus" (1475), Elizabetta and Gwendoline reminded
      >me of a discussion I was having last night regarding skirts, pleats,
      >and trolls.

      <snip>

      >Question: What is the historical provenance of rolled pleats? I'm
      >familiar with cartridge pleats, organ-pipe pleats, knife pleats, box
      >pleats, gathers, and ruffles, but the first time I read about rolled
      >pleats was on Drea Leeds' website and in her book.

      LOL! Sorry can't help you there. : ) Ironically enough I was going to
      suggest you talk to Drea... Which actually you should - she's very nice
      and will tell you her sources.

      Personally, I've never used them (I'm happy with cartridge pleats) and I
      think they are somewhat controversial... I believe the evidence lies in the
      visual. It's not something I've ever asked Drea about since we do somewhat
      different things. So if her stuff is the only place you've seen it, why not
      email her?

      Cheers,
      Gwendoline
    • wodeford
      Message 69 of 69 , Jul 26, 2002
        1. A Google search on "bookbinding and conservation" turned up a
        number of places one can get books restored:
        http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Shopping_and_Services/Books/
        Bookbinding_and_Conservation/

        2. Best wishes on the new baby!

        3. I'm going to try to day trip West Kingdom A&S tomorrow. Vittoria,
        save me a spot - your class sounds like fun.

        Jehanne