Re: Back from La-la-land

  • dtjacobson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Danielle Nunn-Weinberg <dannw@m...> wrote:
      > At 07:08 PM 12/30/2001 +0000, you wrote:

      > What city? : ) Hmmm... Willing to sell any of the fustian? Btw,
      is it
      > linen or fustian (which is a cotton linen twill)? Either way it
      sounds
      > interesting...

      Sorry, I suffer from the "Curse of the Left Coast": I assume that
      everybody knows what I'm talking about when I refer to the Garment
      District. I was in Los Angeles, and the L.A. Garment District is just
      south of Downtown L.A.

      The fabric is a heavy-weight linen, tabby weave, about 20 warps to
      the inch (I can't be exact because the roll is currently bagged, and
      I can't find my linen tester). You are correct, of course, that
      fustian is a linen/cotton blend; the stuff I have has picked up the
      name "fustian" because it's very similar to a fabric Constance La
      Lena used to weave and sell under that name.

      At this point, I'm not planning on selling any of this roll, as I
      need it for several different projects, and I have already promised
      some yardage to other people in the Bay Area.

      Maud
    • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
        At 06:18 PM 1/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >--- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Danielle Nunn-Weinberg <dannw@m...> wrote:
        > > At 07:08 PM 12/30/2001 +0000, you wrote:
        > > What city? : ) Hmmm... Willing to sell any of the fustian? Btw,
        >is it
        > > linen or fustian (which is a cotton linen twill)? Either way it
        >sounds
        > > interesting...
        >
        >Sorry, I suffer from the "Curse of the Left Coast": I assume that
        >everybody knows what I'm talking about when I refer to the Garment
        >District. I was in Los Angeles, and the L.A. Garment District is just
        >south of Downtown L.A.

        Ah, that makes sense. Well, if I ever make it there I will have to see if
        you are willing to take me on a tour. : )

        >The fabric is a heavy-weight linen, tabby weave, about 20 warps to
        >the inch (I can't be exact because the roll is currently bagged, and
        >I can't find my linen tester). You are correct, of course, that
        >fustian is a linen/cotton blend; the stuff I have has picked up the
        >name "fustian" because it's very similar to a fabric Constance La
        >Lena used to weave and sell under that name.

        Ah. I see. That makes sense. I believe fustian is also technically a
        twill not a tabby but that is neither here nor there. I just adore linen -
        enjoy your find. : )

        >At this point, I'm not planning on selling any of this roll, as I
        >need it for several different projects, and I have already promised
        >some yardage to other people in the Bay Area.

        Oh well. It was worth a try. ; )

        Cheers,
        Gwendoline