Elizabeth I tops monarch poll

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2002
      This comes from the Middle Kingdom list to which it came from another list.  Just thought you all would find it interesting.

      Smiles,
      Despina

      Elizabeth I tops monarch poll

      Elizabeth I has won the title of Britain's greatest ever monarch.

      The so-called Virgin Queen topped a poll of more 10,000 people with
      31% of the votes, 4% ahead of Elizabeth II.

      Medieval monarch Alfred the Great, who is perhaps best remembered
      for burning cakes, finished third with 26% of the vote, which was
      conducted by BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

      Oliver Cromwell, who toppled the monarchy in the seventeenth
      century, received a large number of nominations but was deemed
      ineligible to make the final shortlist of five because he was never
      King.

      Elizabeth I's reign from 1558 to 1603 is considered by many to be a
      Golden Age for England.

      Henry II, who is credited with creating the beginnings of the modern
      English legal system, finished fourth with 9%. Queen Victoria was
      last with 7%.

      Last updated: 18:44 Monday 31st December 2001
      See this story on Ananova:
      http://www.ananova.com/go/484801

      CHECK FOR MORE ON:
      Polls