pro fox hunting sites

  • Zohra Rawling
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 31, 2001
      For those that may be interested

      http://www.countryside-alliance.org/

      http://www.lcsa.org.uk/

      Zohra
    • Stephan Barratt
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 31, 2001
        At 11:50 AM 12/31/2001 -0800, you wrote:
        >For those that may be interested
        >
        >http://www.countryside-alliance.org/
        >

        >http://www.lcsa.org.uk/
        >

        >Zohra

        Thanks for posting these! I knew about the first, but the second is new to
        me. These groups need all the support they can get, both in and out of the
        UK. Traditions are about to be sacrificed on the altar of Political
        Correctness.

        Roderic Hawkyns
        Master Gunner
      • Zohra Rawling
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 31, 2001

          > Thanks for posting these! I knew about the first, but the second is new to
          > me. These groups need all the support they can get, both in and out of the
          > UK. Traditions are about to be sacrificed on the altar of Political
          > Correctness.
          >
          > Roderic Hawkyns
          > Master Gunner

          I am glad these helped!

          do you know of any in the u.s.?
          I had a harder time finding those and would like to offer support.

          Zohra
        • gwernin
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 1, 2002
            I would submit that this thread is mundanely political and seriously
            off topic for this list.

            Guernen Cimarguid
          • Zohra Rawling
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 1, 2002
              --On Wednesday, January 2, 2002 12:51 AM +0000 gwernin <Gwernin@...>
              wrote:

              > I would submit that this thread is mundanely political and seriously
              > off topic for this list.
              >
              > Guernen Cimarguid

              That would simply be because I posted it to the wrong list and didn't even
              realize it, until you pointed it out.

              How extremely bizarre, I have never done that before.

              Although, I wonder how off topic it truly is.

              I think I will go research fox hunting in medieval times now.

              Ysabella
            • skyecatuk
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Zohra Rawling <zisaac@f...> wrote:

                > That would simply be because I posted it to the wrong list and
                didn't even
                > realize it, until you pointed it out.
                >
                > How extremely bizarre, I have never done that before.

                > Although, I wonder how off topic it truly is.
                >
                > I think I will go research fox hunting in medieval times now.

                Sure, do.

                But please let's not get into the political discussion. There's a lot
                more to these groups than meets the eye...

                Lisa
              • gwernin
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
                  Fox hunting is mentioned in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (14th
                  century) along with boar hunting and deer hunting.

                  Guernen
                • Steven Proctor
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
                    Hmmm. I don't recall anything about fox hunting in Hawk and Hound, but
                    that may just be a faulty memory. In Gaston Pheobus' Livre de la Chasse
                    (one of the seminal books on hunting in the middle ages) there is
                    documentary evidence for fox hunting, pretty much as we think of it
                    today (mounted hunters, pack of dogs, etc...), though it was probably
                    more of a pest extermination sort of thing than a sport for it's own
                    end. This would be at least as early as the 1390's. as the Pheobus died
                    in 1391.

                    The illumination can be found at
                    http://www.bnf.fr/enluminures/images/jpeg/i5_0058.jpg

                    Pheobus himself has little good to say about them, in his commentary...

                    "It is seldom that is it willing to leave its place and take to the
                    countryside, as it trusts neither its speed or its defense, it being too
                    weak, and if it does go forth it will always go under cover, even if it
                    is only a single bramble, so long as it is covered. But when it sees
                    that it will not be able to last , it goes to ground, and his its pits,
                    which are its fortresses, and which it knows well. The Fox does not
                    complain when it is killed, but will always defend itself to the best of
                    its ability. It lives off vermin and carrion and refuse, but its best
                    food, that which it prefers, are gelines (quail? I think it's quail...)
                    and capons, ducks and geese, small wild birds, when it finds them,
                    butterflies, crickets, milk, cheese and butter. It causes great damage
                    to wild hares and wild rabbits, which they readily take and eat by their
                    great subtlety and mischievousness, and not by speed. There are some
                    that drive out like wolves, and some that go only to the villages for
                    their prey. They are so malicious and subtle that neither men nor dogs
                    can counteract or thwart their tricks. They remain usually in their
                    forts, hedges, bushes or pits, close to the cities or villages, always
                    making badly with hens and other things."

                    Good luck, if you're looking for a copy of Hawk and Hound, by the way.
                    It took Moruadh and I two years of concentrated searching to find one
                    for her... :-)

                    Ta

                    Morgan

                    --
                    "I could tell you stories about this road we shall be traveling," the
                    old man told his young companions as he leaned on his staff and stroked
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Zohra Rawling <zisaac@f...> wrote:
                      > So the No talking about MODERN feelings of fox hunting (because I
                      will just
                      > ignore it)...are there any comments?

                      My right elbow suggests the dates about right. I guess I'm thinking
                      that because the hunting jackets etc. look very 18th century inspired
                      even now. One was in the window of my local second hand shop a few
                      weeks back, and confirmed that for me, from my memories of the local
                      hunt.

                      Now, I was at the St. Fagan's Museum of Welsh Life in Cardiff at
                      Christmas. They have a load of old Welsh buildings, and one of them's
                      a cockpit. That's quite old, I think.

                      http://www.nmgw.ac.uk/mwl/index.en.shtml

                      Nuts, it doesn't say. I think it was either 1600 or 1700, so still
                      before the time period.

                      Lisa
                    • Steven Proctor
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
                        Zohra Rawling wrote:

                        > --On Friday, January 4, 2002 10:50 AM -0500 Steven Proctor
                        > <sproctor@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hmmm. I don't recall anything about fox hunting in Hawk and Hound,
                        > but
                        > > that may just be a faulty memory. In Gaston Pheobus' Livre de la
                        > Chasse
                        > > (one of the seminal books on hunting in the middle ages) there is
                        > > documentary evidence for fox hunting, pretty much as we think of it
                        > > today (mounted hunters, pack of dogs, etc...), though it was
                        > probably
                        > > more of a pest extermination sort of thing than a sport for it's own
                        >
                        > > end. This would be at least as early as the 1390's. as the Pheobus
                        > died
                        > > in 1391.
                        >
                        > Thank you so much!
                        > This helps a great deal!

                        N'sweat, glad to be of help.

                        > Since you finally found a copy of "Hawk and Hound", do you feel it is
                        > worth
                        > the search?

                        Hmmm. *I* would, and I'm sure Moruadh would as well, though it kind of
                        depends on how interested in hunt history you are. It's well researched
                        and well written, and contains a lot of good info (including, but not
                        limited to, the different types of dogs for hunting, and their
                        appropriate uses, and the appropriate horn calls to use during the
                        hunt...) and I found it pretty fascinating. I'd recommend it to anyone
                        looking for a book on hunting in period.

                        > > The illumination can be found at
                        > > http://www.bnf.fr/enluminures/images/jpeg/i5_0058.jpg
                        >
                        > That is wonderful.

                        Isn't it though? The Livre de la Chasse is one of my favorite medieval
                        manuscripts, though it's not one I get to use all that much in my
                        illumination work. There's just not all that many 'huntsmen' type
                        personae out there...

                        > I love the size of the fox myself ^_^

                        Heh. You should see some of the rabbits... :-)

                        > I think I am going to paint this for the tent.

                        Sounds cool. Have fun!

                        > Again thank you so much Morgan this has been extremely helpful!
                        > Do you mind if I sent it to another list?

                        By all means, please do, if you think it's of interest there. I'm glad
                        you found it helpful. :-)

                        Ta

                        Morgan

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
                          --On Friday, January 4, 2002 12:44 PM +0000 skyecatuk <skyecat@...>

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002

                            > Hmmm. *I* would, and I'm sure Moruadh would as well, though it kind of
                            > depends on how interested in hunt history you are. It's well researched
                            > and well written, and contains a lot of good info (including, but not
                            > limited to, the different types of dogs for hunting, and their
                            > appropriate uses, and the appropriate horn calls to use during the
                            > hunt...) and I found it pretty fascinating. I'd recommend it to anyone
                            > looking for a book on hunting in period.

                            Oh I think I would get it for the horn calls alone!!!!

                            > Isn't it though? The Livre de la Chasse is one of my favorite medieval
                            > manuscripts, though it's not one I get to use all that much in my
                            > illumination work. There's just not all that many 'huntsmen' type
                            > personae out there...

                            I can understand, my husband has that sort of persona though ^_^

                            so I suppose we are out there, although a minority.

                            > > I love the size of the fox myself ^_^
                            >
                            > Heh. You should see some of the rabbits... :-)

                            LOL!

                            like that science fiction B movie?
                            Killer rabbits or something ha hah a

                            > By all means, please do, if you think it's of interest there. I'm glad
                            > you found it helpful. :-)

                            Great!

                            Thank you!

                            Ysabella
                          • k_a_kaiser
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
                              Good news - "The Hound and the Hawk" was reprinted last year. I had
                              no problem getting it from Half.com, think you can also find it via
                              amazon and/or borders.com.

                              It's especially good if you're interested in the hunting practices in
                              Spain and France, the author is a language professor in Scotland and
                              had access to lots of period foreign language books.

                              -Ginevra

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
                                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Zohra Rawling <zisaac@f...> wrote:
                                > > Now, I was at the St. Fagan's Museum of Welsh Life in Cardiff at
                                > > Christmas. They have a load of old Welsh buildings, and one of
                                them's
                                > > a cockpit. That's quite old, I think.
                                > >
                                > > http://www.nmgw.ac.uk/mwl/index.en.shtml
                                > >

                                > You visited this?!?
                                >
                                > Oh it looks amazing, on a side note what was it like?

                                Brilliant for the interesting buildings. Not that much that's SCA
                                period (some is). Didn't visit the galleries, not enough time, so I
                                can't say what they're like.

                                Very good if you're interested in this area. And it's Free!

                                They have a nice guide book which I'm betting could be posted out if
                                you asked them very nicely (and didn't try phoning at a weekend)

                                Lisa
                              • Zohra Rawling
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
                                  On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, k_a_kaiser wrote:

                                  > Good news - "The Hound and the Hawk" was reprinted last year. I had
                                  > no problem getting it from Half.com, think you can also find it via
                                  > amazon and/or borders.com.

                                  oh fabulous!!!!

                                  Thank you!

                                  I will have to get that sometime soon.
                                  I really am extremely interested in the hunt calls and whether any are
                                  similar to "call to post" in horse racing.

                                  > It's especially good if you're interested in the hunting practices in
                                  > Spain and France, the author is a language professor in Scotland and
                                  > had access to lots of period foreign language books.

                                  I am definitely interested in France since that is my persona's
                                  nationality.

                                  Ysabella
                                • Zohra Rawling
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002

                                    > Brilliant for the interesting buildings. Not that much that's SCA
                                    > period (some is). Didn't visit the galleries, not enough time, so I
                                    > can't say what they're like.

                                    That is really good to know.

                                    It really looks like something I would like to visit sometime

                                    > Very good if you're interested in this area. And it's Free!

                                    cool!

                                    Thank you for the information.

                                    Ysabella
                                  • gwernin
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
                                      > Very good if you're interested in this area. And it's Free!
                                      > Lisa

                                      mmm ... I think you're mixing them up with someone else. They're not
                                      free (unless possibly to students?) but they are good value. Some of
                                      the exhibits are fascinating ... mostly post-period but a lot of
                                      agricultural stuff doesn't seem to have changed much.

                                      And easily combined with a visit to the National Museum of Wales in
                                      Cardiff city center, which has some neat bronze age/iron age/Roman
                                      stuff.

                                      Guernen
                                    • John Larsen
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
                                        I don't know much about hunting, but a search path might be the French Horn. The French Horn (or Cor in French) was designed backwards to be able to play while riding in conjunction with the hunt. Originally, it was only used in the orchestra when a piece wanted to "simulate" the hunt. I know of description of the horn going back to the early 17th century, so the development of the horn must pre-date that by some time. If the horn was standardized in development by this time, it follows that the hunt was also.

                                        Additionally, Count Franz Anton von Sporck started the Order of St. Hubert in the mid 17th century. St. Hubert, as we all know, is the patron saint of Hunting. So the hunt was we developed enough by this time to form some kind of club.

                                        Hope this is of assistance.

                                        Watt of Folkstone
                                        (John Larsen)
                                        Shire of Cote du Ciel, Artemisia

                                      • rowen_g
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
                                          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "gwernin" <Gwernin@a...> wrote:
                                          > > Very good if you're interested in this area. And it's Free!
                                          > > Lisa
                                          >
                                          > mmm ... I think you're mixing them up with someone else. They're
                                          not
                                          > free (unless possibly to students?) but they are good value. Some of
                                          > the exhibits are fascinating ... mostly post-period but a lot of
                                          > agricultural stuff doesn't seem to have changed much.
                                          >
                                          > And easily combined with a visit to the National Museum of Wales in
                                          > Cardiff city center, which has some neat bronze age/iron age/Roman
                                          > stuff.
                                          >
                                          > Guernen

                                          I think St F's had some very late or just post-period textile bits in
                                          one of the indoor galleries. And a grand collection of triple-strung
                                          Welsh harps (also post-SCA, but still wonderful.) Hmm... I seem to
                                          remember some late-period other musical instruments, but as it
                                          happened I was gawking at the harps and didn't pay close attention.

                                          Rowen
                                        • Zohra Rawling
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002

                                            > Hope this is of assistance.

                                            Yes it was quite helpful!

                                            I find this all extremely interesting!

                                            The MET has a wonderful instrumental area, which also has a few hunting
                                            horns. one of which is decorative only. (GORGEOUS btw)

                                            Ysabella
                                          • Zohra Rawling
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
                                              <sproctor@...> wrote:

                                              > Hmmm. I don't recall anything about fox hunting in Hawk and Hound, but
                                              > that may just be a faulty memory. In Gaston Pheobus' Livre de la Chasse
                                              > (one of the seminal books on hunting in the middle ages) there is
                                              > documentary evidence for fox hunting, pretty much as we think of it
                                              > today (mounted hunters, pack of dogs, etc...), though it was probably
                                              > more of a pest extermination sort of thing than a sport for it's own
                                              > end. This would be at least as early as the 1390's. as the Pheobus died
                                              > in 1391.

                                              Thank you so much!

                                              This helps a great deal!

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jan 4, 2002
                                                --On Friday, January 4, 2002 3:57 PM +0000 skyecatuk <skyecat@...>
                                                wrote:

                                                re: jackets

                                                much of what is used in English riding hasn't changed since regency period.

                                                In fact I am purchasing a shade belly for competition ^_^

                                                required clothing are white riding breeches, blue or black jacket.
                                                Top hat riding helmet and tall boots.

                                                > Now, I was at the St. Fagan's Museum of Welsh Life in Cardiff at
                                                > Christmas. They have a load of old Welsh buildings, and one of them's
                                                > a cockpit. That's quite old, I think.
                                                >
                                                > http://www.nmgw.ac.uk/mwl/index.en.shtml

                                                You visited this?!?

                                                Oh it looks amazing, on a side note what was it like?

                                                > Nuts, it doesn't say. I think it was either 1600 or 1700, so still
                                                > before the time period.

                                                Thanks!

                                                Ysabella
                                              • skyecatuk
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jan 8, 2002
                                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "gwernin" <Gwernin@a...> wrote:
                                                  > > Very good if you're interested in this area. And it's Free!
                                                  > > Lisa
                                                  >
                                                  > mmm ... I think you're mixing them up with someone else. They're
                                                  not
                                                  > free (unless possibly to students?) but they are good value.

                                                  Umm - went a couple of weeks ago. The main bit of the museum (the
                                                  houses etc) was free. The guide book was £1.95. I don't think the
                                                  galleries charged, but since I didn't visit them, I could be wrong.

                                                  Lisa
                                                • gwernin
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jan 8, 2002
                                                    > Umm - went a couple of weeks ago. The main bit of the museum (the
                                                    > houses etc) was free. The guide book was £1.95. I don't think the
                                                    > galleries charged, but since I didn't visit them, I could be wrong.
                                                    >
                                                    > Lisa

                                                    see my post yesterday. Last time I was there (summer 2000) there
                                                    still was a charge.

                                                    guernen
                                                  • skyecatuk
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jan 8, 2002
                                                      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "gwernin" <Gwernin@a...> wrote:
                                                      > > Umm - went a couple of weeks ago. The main bit of the museum (the
                                                      > > houses etc) was free. The guide book was £1.95. I don't think
                                                      the
                                                      > > galleries charged, but since I didn't visit them, I could be
                                                      wrong.

                                                      > > Lisa
                                                      >
                                                      > see my post yesterday. Last time I was there (summer 2000) there
                                                      > still was a charge.
                                                      >
                                                      > guernen

                                                      Got it. don't mind me. Chronological post reader.

                                                      Free museums are a Good Thing. I have to admit I was surprised that
                                                      it was free. Definitely a good deal!

                                                      Lisa