Help interpreting paintings

  • sunnyday78723
    Message 1 of 69 , Dec 30, 2001
      I'm working on a dress that I hope will someday be a competition
      piece, and I need some opinions as to what the painter was really
      looking at. In my files, I uploaded the "Triumph of Venus" by Cossa
      (1475), and the dress I am making is based off of this style. What I
      am wondering is how the skirts are attached to the bodice. It
      appears that they are pleated, maybe even cartrige pleated, but they
      are very wide, and they don't stick out like some later period ones.
      I have been looking at some other kinds of pleating, but they don't
      seem to be box-pleats because they are too dimentional. I was
      thinking of pipe organ pleats, but I don't know how to make these (or
      cartrige pleats) so that they lie flat against the body. Anyone have
      any ideas of how I might do this?

      Many thanks in advance,
      Elisabetta
    • wodeford
      Message 69 of 69 , Jul 26 8:18 AM
        1. A Google search on "bookbinding and conservation" turned up a
        number of places one can get books restored:
        http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Shopping_and_Services/Books/
        Bookbinding_and_Conservation/

        2. Best wishes on the new baby!

        3. I'm going to try to day trip West Kingdom A&S tomorrow. Vittoria,
        save me a spot - your class sounds like fun.

        Jehanne