Back from La-la-land

  • dtjacobson
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 27, 2001
      Hi all!

      back from La-la-land this afternoon, after spending holidays with the
      family, and far too much money in the Garment District. 8-)

      I'm now the proud owner of a TV/VCR combination for my sewing room,
      tiny needlework scissors I can safely wear around my neck, and
      another stack of books for the library.

      The too-short shopping expedition to the Los Angeles Garment District
      proved almost overwhelming, but I managed to come away with about 50
      yards of linen, and 7 yards of luscious deep green cotton velvet for
      a new houppelande.

      One project to finish: a green wool dress that I may (or may not)
      wear to West 12th Night. One project to start: Jakob's (my DH)
      waffenrock, so he can wear it to the Emperor's Birthday Party in
      February.

      Hope everyone is in the midst of lovely holidays.

      Maud
      (who is enjoying a hot buttered rum, and is going to sit by the fire)
    • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 27, 2001
        At 12:36 AM 12/28/2001 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hi all!

        >back from La-la-land this afternoon, after spending holidays with the
        >family, and far too much money in the Garment District. 8-)
        >
        >I'm now the proud owner of a TV/VCR combination for my sewing room,
        >tiny needlework scissors I can safely wear around my neck, and
        >another stack of books for the library.

        Lucky you! Something like that is on my "someday" list. : )

        >The too-short shopping expedition to the Los Angeles Garment District
        >proved almost overwhelming, but I managed to come away with about 50
        >yards of linen, and 7 yards of luscious deep green cotton velvet for
        >a new houppelande.

        Where did you get those goodies???

        >One project to finish: a green wool dress that I may (or may not)
        >wear to West 12th Night. One project to start: Jakob's (my DH)
        >waffenrock, so he can wear it to the Emperor's Birthday Party in
        >February.
        >
        >Hope everyone is in the midst of lovely holidays.
        >
        >Maud
        >(who is enjoying a hot buttered rum, and is going to sit by the fire)

        That sounds yummy, how does one make a hot buttered rum? : )

        Cheers,
        Gwendoline
      • dtjacobson
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2001
          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Danielle Nunn-Weinberg <dannw@m...> wrote:

          > Where did you get those goodies???

          The linen came from Moon Fabrics on Wall St. I'm particularly pleased
          about the roll (38 yards) of linen fustian; it's white, and I can dye
          it as I need it. The cotton velvet came from one of those
          little "hole in the wall" places on 9th, between Wall and San Pedro,
          but almost everybody had really nice cotton velvet ranging from $7-
          $12/yd. The selection of upholstery fabrics was also wonderful,
          including some completely insane red velvet with cloth of gold
          strapwork and acanthus leaves couched on it. I was going to get some
          to make a long cushion for a chair, and completely forgot about it (I
          also forgot to go back to buy a roll of $2/yd linen--dumb!)

          > That sounds yummy, how does one make a hot buttered rum? : )

          This is Jakob's recipe: Put about 1/4 teaspoon of butter in a
          heatproof, microwavable mug and fill almost to the top with water.
          Nuke until hot, then add 1-2 teaspoons of brown sugar, a shot of good
          rum, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Drink while hot.

          Cheers!

          Maud
        • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2001
            At 07:08 PM 12/30/2001 +0000, you wrote:
            >--- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Danielle Nunn-Weinberg <dannw@m...> wrote:
            >
            > > Where did you get those goodies???
            >
            >The linen came from Moon Fabrics on Wall St. I'm particularly pleased
            >about the roll (38 yards) of linen fustian; it's white, and I can dye
            >it as I need it. The cotton velvet came from one of those
            >little "hole in the wall" places on 9th, between Wall and San Pedro,
            >but almost everybody had really nice cotton velvet ranging from $7-
            >$12/yd. The selection of upholstery fabrics was also wonderful,
            >including some completely insane red velvet with cloth of gold
            >strapwork and acanthus leaves couched on it. I was going to get some
            >to make a long cushion for a chair, and completely forgot about it (I
            >also forgot to go back to buy a roll of $2/yd linen--dumb!)

            What city? : ) Hmmm... Willing to sell any of the fustian? Btw, is it
            linen or fustian (which is a cotton linen twill)? Either way it sounds
            interesting...

            > > That sounds yummy, how does one make a hot buttered rum? : )
            >
            >This is Jakob's recipe: Put about 1/4 teaspoon of butter in a
            >heatproof, microwavable mug and fill almost to the top with water.
            >Nuke until hot, then add 1-2 teaspoons of brown sugar, a shot of good
            >rum, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Drink while hot.

            Yum. I will definitely have to try this. : )

            Cheers,
            Gwendoline
          • dtjacobson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Danielle Nunn-Weinberg <dannw@m...> wrote:
              > At 07:08 PM 12/30/2001 +0000, you wrote:

              > What city? : ) Hmmm... Willing to sell any of the fustian? Btw,
              is it
              > linen or fustian (which is a cotton linen twill)? Either way it
              sounds
              > interesting...

              Sorry, I suffer from the "Curse of the Left Coast": I assume that
              everybody knows what I'm talking about when I refer to the Garment
              District. I was in Los Angeles, and the L.A. Garment District is just
              south of Downtown L.A.

              The fabric is a heavy-weight linen, tabby weave, about 20 warps to
              the inch (I can't be exact because the roll is currently bagged, and
              I can't find my linen tester). You are correct, of course, that
              fustian is a linen/cotton blend; the stuff I have has picked up the
              name "fustian" because it's very similar to a fabric Constance La
              Lena used to weave and sell under that name.

              At this point, I'm not planning on selling any of this roll, as I
              need it for several different projects, and I have already promised
              some yardage to other people in the Bay Area.

              Maud
            • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
                At 06:18 PM 1/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                >--- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Danielle Nunn-Weinberg <dannw@m...> wrote:
                > > At 07:08 PM 12/30/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                > > What city? : ) Hmmm... Willing to sell any of the fustian? Btw,
                >is it
                > > linen or fustian (which is a cotton linen twill)? Either way it
                >sounds
                > > interesting...
                >
                >Sorry, I suffer from the "Curse of the Left Coast": I assume that
                >everybody knows what I'm talking about when I refer to the Garment
                >District. I was in Los Angeles, and the L.A. Garment District is just
                >south of Downtown L.A.

                Ah, that makes sense. Well, if I ever make it there I will have to see if
                you are willing to take me on a tour. : )

                >The fabric is a heavy-weight linen, tabby weave, about 20 warps to
                >the inch (I can't be exact because the roll is currently bagged, and
                >I can't find my linen tester). You are correct, of course, that
                >fustian is a linen/cotton blend; the stuff I have has picked up the
                >name "fustian" because it's very similar to a fabric Constance La
                >Lena used to weave and sell under that name.

                Ah. I see. That makes sense. I believe fustian is also technically a
                twill not a tabby but that is neither here nor there. I just adore linen -
                enjoy your find. : )

                >At this point, I'm not planning on selling any of this roll, as I
                >need it for several different projects, and I have already promised
                >some yardage to other people in the Bay Area.

                Oh well. It was worth a try. ; )

                Cheers,
                Gwendoline