Re: Promoting Authenticity (was Religion)

  • Mark Calderwood
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
      >Here, here! I've been called a "stick-up-the-butt-History-Puritan" and --
      >although true ;) -- the two phrases "stick-up-the-butt" and
      >"History-Puritan" don't necessarily go together.

      I agree. Now I might have had a privileged life coming from Lochac :o), but
      I must confess, I've never really understood this perception of "being
      authentic is too hard". Doing things the authentic way is usually in my
      experience more effective and easier than a modern approximation. Garb made
      to period cuts looks better and is more comfortable, a char made with
      period joins wil wear a lot better than one glued together. Period food is
      completely yumbo, and in a lot of cases beats the tar out of standard
      modern food. I think if you're going to do something, go that extra yard
      and do it right.

      But I'm preaching to the choir here, so let me ask- how do you folk promote
      "doing it the authentic way"? Speaking for myself, I get a huge buzz out of
      tracking down some obscure piece of documentation and trying the period
      experiment, but I freely admit I'm that sort of geek (and frustrated
      academic!) :o) How do people feel authenticity can best be promoted-or even
      *should* it be promoted?

      Giles "Devil's Advocate" Laval
    • Brighid the-short-blonde-Scot
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001

        But I'm preaching to the choir here, so let me ask- how do you folk promote
        "doing it the authentic way"? Speaking for myself, I get a huge buzz out of
        tracking down some obscure piece of documentation and trying the period
        experiment, but I freely admit I'm that sort of geek (and frustrated
        academic!) :o) How do people feel authenticity can best be promoted-or even
        *should* it be promoted?

        Personally I think part of it is the jump-on-the-bandwagon thing. If more people show how much fun it is, or you can prove to someone it's _cheaper_ or _easier_ to do it period (those are the best catch phrases), not off-the-bat saying it's _authentic_. Those that aren't authenticity buffs will only buy it if you can give it to them in their perspective. If you tell a college kid in the SCA they can do it cheaper, or a working person that they can do it faster and easier, and prove how, then they will do it that way and be very happy if you showed them how.

        Brighid
        All for the cheaper solutions for the best craftsmanship.

      • Kass McGann
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
          > But I'm preaching to the choir here, so let me ask- how do you folk
          promote
          > "doing it the authentic way"?

          Giles, I agree with Brighid that if you show people it's easier and cheaper
          to do it authentically, that it tends to work. I mean, in our Kingdom
          (East) when Mistress Thorkatla showed people how to make Greenland gowns out
          of 4 yards of fabric rather than 12, they nearly sainted her! =) Whenever
          I teach newbie classes to college kids, I preach "period is cheap and easy"
          alot.

          From the feedback I've received about my Beginners' Pages
          (http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners), I think that was the best
          thing I could do for people. For those of you who haven't seen them, it's a
          serious of pages for absolute beginners and it shows them how to make
          garments based on extant examples. So far, everyone's been raving about "I
          never knew it would be this easy!"

          But the biggest impact I think I've had came quite by accident. Three of my
          best friends in the SCA have recently told me that they ripped out a seam or
          undid some embroidery entirely because they felt like I was sitting on their
          shoulder, wearing a halo and wings, shaking my finger and saying, "Nuh uh
          uh... That's not how They would have done it..."

          I don't know how they come by this guilt. None of them are Catholic! ;)

          Kass
        • stephen higa
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
            > But I'm preaching to the choir here, so let me ask- how do you folk promote
            > "doing it the authentic way"? Speaking for myself, I get a huge buzz out of
            > tracking down some obscure piece of documentation and trying the period
            > experiment, but I freely admit I'm that sort of geek (and frustrated
            > academic!) :o) How do people feel authenticity can best be promoted-or even
            > *should* it be promoted?

            Well, not only is it easier and cheaper (as Kass and Brighid excellently
            pointed out), but sometimes it's just more *interesting* and *fun* (sorry,
            the little stars are there for pleasure ;)). With period music--what I'm
            most puritanical about--all I do is ONLY perform period stuff (okay,
            sometimes complain that certain popular local songs don't even sound
            remotely medieval, but that's another story).

            Most of the time, what Vittoria and I do will be the only period music at an
            event...and people seem to appreciate it. I mean, who wants to hear another
            modern folk song or filk, however funny it may be? Listening to real live
            medieval music--to me--is simply more interesting. I think most people in
            the SCA secretly appreciate efforts at authenticity even if they don't wish
            to do it themselves...so when other people take the extra time to research
            the medieval songs, vocal styles, instrumental techniques, historical
            pronunciatioin, &c. they appreciate it far more than 70's-style rock ballads
            in praise of one's kingdom.

            Or maybe it's just wishful thinking?

            Moshe
            Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
            menhs en cort que de belh saber
            de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
            hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
            e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.

            --Guiraut Riquier, 1292

            ----------
            >From: Mark Calderwood <mark-c@...>
            >To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Promoting Authenticity (was Religion)
            >Date: Thu, Mar 1, 2001, 6:14 AM
            >

            >>Here, here! I've been called a "stick-up-the-butt-History-Puritan" and --
            >>although true ;) -- the two phrases "stick-up-the-butt" and
            >>"History-Puritan" don't necessarily go together.
            >
            > I agree. Now I might have had a privileged life coming from Lochac :o), but
            > I must confess, I've never really understood this perception of "being
            > authentic is too hard". Doing things the authentic way is usually in my
            > experience more effective and easier than a modern approximation. Garb made
            > to period cuts looks better and is more comfortable, a char made with
            > period joins wil wear a lot better than one glued together. Period food is
            > completely yumbo, and in a lot of cases beats the tar out of standard
            > modern food. I think if you're going to do something, go that extra yard
            > and do it right.
            >
            > But I'm preaching to the choir here, so let me ask- how do you folk promote
            > "doing it the authentic way"? Speaking for myself, I get a huge buzz out of
            > tracking down some obscure piece of documentation and trying the period
            > experiment, but I freely admit I'm that sort of geek (and frustrated
            > academic!) :o) How do people feel authenticity can best be promoted-or even
            > *should* it be promoted?
            >
            > Giles "Devil's Advocate" Laval
            >

            > This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

          • Greg Williams
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001

              I lead by example.  People take a look at my personal encampment and see just how little is really needed for comfort and authentisity.  I follow the theory that, as an 11th century norse sailor, I would have only what I could carry and stow aboard ship. It's really a less is more approach to being authentic.  I, like Brighid, am a closet academic and love to track down the most minute details and then prance around the library like a football player making a touchdown (not a pretty sight by the way).

              I'm finding this conversation extremely interesting because in addition to this list, I'm on another living history list that is talking about how the SCA is not a true re-enactment group because as a whole nobody promotes any standards of authentisity.  I do think that, at least in the West Kingdom, there has been improvements made all around.  I see less and less T-tunic/blue jean combos even on Sunday afternoon and more garb that passes the 5 foot test (if it looks period from 5 feet away then you're ok).  The key to this is that key people who are extremely visable to the populace have tried to be as authentic as possible and are willing to share their knowledge with newcomers.

              Gotfred

                Brighid the-short-blonde-Scot <lady_Brighid@...> wrote:

[...]

              Do You Yahoo!?