Re: [Authentic_SCA] psaltery!!!

  • girl
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 26, 2001
      Zohra Rawling wrote:

      > I got a hognose psaltery for christmas!!!!!!!

      Oh, you lucky lady! They are such lovely instruments. I envy your listeners.

      Marguerie
    • Zohra Rawling
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 26, 2001
        I got a hognose psaltery for christmas!!!!!!!

        yay!

        Ysabella
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 26, 2001
          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Zohra Rawling <zisaac@f...> wrote:
          > I was so surprised and happy when I opened it!
          >
          > It really is so nice and easy to learn too.
          >
          > I can't wait to gather more songs to play ^_^

          Was that a hint? OK. I promise, once I get moved and settled I really
          DO want to put together that psaltery book! There's sufficient
          interest on this list alone that I figure it's worth doing properly.

          Congratulations on your new instrument. (Where'd it come from, BTW?
          Music Makers?)

          Jehanne
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 26, 2001
            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Zohra Rawling <zisaac@f...> wrote:
            > however if you want to put something together I would be more than
            > willing to devour it upon getting my grubby little paws on it ^_^
            It is something I want to do - it's a niche that's been neglected and
            I think it might help popularize this lovely period instrument.

            > The sweetest thing was my younger sister of 14 years bringing the
            > psaltery over (totally out of the blue) for me to play Douce Dame
            > Jolie...
            I think you have to work really hard to make the psaltery sound bad.
            I take great delight in lulling people to sleep with mine.

            > Yes Music Makers was the place my husband got it from he says they
            > were "very pleasant to deal with and he went through the website.
            > can't beat their prices and the shipping was super quick"
            I agree. I did the kit, but their mark-up on completed instruments is
            fair and when I broke two strings during construction and contacted
            them, they shipped replacements immediately. I recently contacted
            them and asked if they would be interested in a psaltery tune book
            and they responded favorably, so that's another incentive to get
            going on the project.

            > Thank you again!
            Have fun with it.

            Jehanne
          • Zohra Rawling
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 26, 2001
              --On Wednesday, December 26, 2001 1:56 PM -0600 girl

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 26, 2001
                > Was that a hint? OK. I promise, once I get moved and settled I really
                > DO want to put together that psaltery book! There's sufficient
                > interest on this list alone that I figure it's worth doing properly.

                LOL! a hint, no...just so excited about it!

                however if you want to put something together I would be more than willing
                to devour it upon getting my grubby little paws on it ^_^

                The sweetest thing was my younger sister of 14 years bringing the psaltery
                over (totally out of the blue) for me to play Douce Dame Jolie...

                It was SO CUTE!

                ^_^

                > Congratulations on your new instrument. (Where'd it come from, BTW?
                > Music Makers?)

                Thank you for turning me on to the psaltery Jehanne.
                I mean if it wasn't for you and your voices I would never of knowned about
                the hognose psaltery it's lovely sound and that France needed to be saved

                ^_^

                Yes Music Makers was the place my husband got it from he says they were
                "very pleasant to deal with and he went through the website. can't beat
                their prices and the shipping was super quick"

                He has been a musician for a long long time, so I would trust his judgement.

                Thank you again!

                Ysabella
              • Ciorstan
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 26, 2001
                  Zohra Rawling wrote:

                  > It surely has been neglected.
                  > Like I said, I did not know a thing about it and I like to think of myself
                  > as someone who isn't in the dark about musical instruments ^_^

                  I have a black hammered dulcimer I hardly ever play because of depth
                  perception difficulties. *sigh* Lack of practice doesn't help, either.

                  At any rate, I've always thought of it as a trapezoidal psaltery on
                  steroids.

                  ciorstan
                • Zohra Rawling
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 26, 2001
                    --On Wednesday, December 26, 2001 11:28 PM +0000 wodeford
                    <wodeford@...> wrote:

                    > It is something I want to do - it's a niche that's been neglected and
                    > I think it might help popularize this lovely period instrument.

                    It surely has been neglected.
                    Like I said, I did not know a thing about it and I like to think of myself
                    as someone who isn't in the dark about musical instruments ^_^

                    I am transcribing some Machaut as we speak so perhaps I can contribute to
                    the cause.

                    Ysabella
                  • skyecatuk
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 4, 2002
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
                      I recently contacted
                      > them and asked if they would be interested in a psaltery tune book
                      > and they responded favorably, so that's another incentive to get
                      > going on the project.

                      Fantastic! You go, girl!

                      I'm in the middle of restoring a simple psaltery (no. 2 - the first
                      one had a pin that broke off - I'll give it to my Dad and see if he
                      can extract it). £17 from ebay - just needed cleaning and new
                      strings. Not bad.

                      Once I wire wool the metal bits I'll start trying it out...

                      Lisa