Re: Ethnic Medieval Music

  • spanogle@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2000
      What I'm hoping for at this point is references to help me find the
      medieval and Renaissance sources of non-Christian music, if there are
      any. Especially helpful would be transcriptions of the medieval
      notation into modern, and transcriptions and/or translations of
      Hebrew, Arabic or Ladino texts. I'm basically hoping for something
      like what Van Der Werf did with the troubadour manuscripts, or what
      has been done for the Cantigas de Santa Maria. Since I'm just
      starting out, I don't know if that sort of scholarly material exists
      for any non-Western/Christian traditions. At this point I don't
      really even know what exists in the way of original manuscripts.

      Am I hoping for too much? Is any of this out there?

      Yours in Service,
      Teleri ferch Morgant

      --- In Authentic_SCA@egroups.com, "Stephen Higa" <mitsuo@u...> wrote:

      > My suggestion: find the period texts, find out all you can about
      the music that would've been associated with it (particularly rhythm,
      modes, theory, etc.), listen to the modern traditions, and formulate
      a melody for the text based on that knowledge. Of course, the modern
      "Andalusian" musical tradition in North Africa claims unbroken
      continuity with the medieval Arabo-Andalusian tradition, and those
      Ladino songs also seem to have unbroken links to 15th c. Spain, but
      since we can't be sure, it might be the better bet to create melodies
      anew using the documentably medieval text. My current project is an
      11th/12th c. Hebrew muwashshah, and in the past I've done the same
      with Beowulf. The medieval music ensemble Altramar (whom I've linked
      in the "Links" section) also does this.

      > e sirviessen a vos,
      > Moshe Mantega
    • Stephen Higa
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2000
        Unfortunately, according to my understanding, actual manuscripts are scarce
        or nonexistant. Of course, we sometimes get biblical cantillation symbols
        for medieval Jewish biblical texts, but aside from that...Occasionally the
        lyrics to songs in the modern oral traditions bear close resemblance to the
        documentably medieval texts, so some inferences can be made from that.

        Parallel Christian traditions supposed to be influenced by non-western
        musics (i.e., the Cantigas de Santa Maria, dance music, troubadour songs)
        can also provide important clues. I was looking through a book on Medieval
        Jewish music, and it provided a rare example of a documentably period Ladino
        folk song, "Ea Judios"--I played the melody from the given notation, and
        found that it bore a STRIKING resemblance to Cantiga 100, "Santa Maria
        strela do dia"...

        There's a book published by UC Berkeley I'm currently trying to find called
        "Ten Hispano-Arabic Songs in the Modern Oral Tradition" by James Monroe and
        Benjamin Liu. I've heard that this is an excellent resource for tracing
        traditional muwashshahat to their medieval roots. So that's a good book to
        try and get a hold of, if you can find it.

        en serviçio del sueño,
        Moshe Mantega
        Todo callado, todo 'stava'n silencio,
        Como la nuve'n a la escuridad.