Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Book of hours.... Morgan

  • Steven Proctor
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
      N'sweat, dear lady. I just thought I should point that out before some
      innocent was lured into the clutches of such vile temptation.... :-)

      And what are the peers saying about their duties? Philosophically, of
      course... :-)

      Ta

      Morgan

      --
      Carlotta lay on the mound of pillows strewn about the floor of the
      poolhouse, back arched and head thrown back, screaming the name of the
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
        >Ooops. Quite right. My typo. (I plead as excuse that I was typing
        >while engaging in a philosophical discussion on the duties of peers.)

        Peers have philosophical duties? Cool! *giggle* Perhaps that is why I am
        not one... or perhaps it is why I should be one... but the, perhaps it
        would be best if I were but to engage in the conversation of one.... but
        then I could......

        Smiles,
        Despina
      • Steven Proctor
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
          In that you are completely incorrect, m'dear. I would, and in a New York
          minute. I just don't like competition... :-)

          Ta

          Morgan

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
              At 11:13 AM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
              >Pish. If you really want it there's copies at alibris for, as I said, 30
              >bucks. Furthermore, there's a profusion of them at bookfinder.com, some
              >for as low as $15.00. Go for it.

              Just checked the stash. Not much there and I have to buy some silk brocade
              for a new project very soon. It's yours.

              >Thanks for the consideration, though. Sweet of you... :-)

              I never outbid my friends, it's rude IMO (if I know I'm doing
              it). Besides, I can usually borrow ......

              Smiles,
              Despina
            • rowengr@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
                > N'sweat, dear lady. I just thought I should point that out before
                some
                > innocent was lured into the clutches of such vile temptation.... :-)

                Haven't actually seen the site in question myself, but I wouldn't wish
                to refer someone there who did not actually intend to go... <g>

                > And what are the peers saying about their duties? Philosophically,
                >of course... :-)

                As I recall, the particular point under discussion at that moment was
                the notion that those peers who traveled extensively should take it
                upon themselves to watch for talented individuals living in
                less-traveled areas who might not be receiving the recognition they
                deserved. (Or some such. :)

                Rowen
              • rowengr@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                  > Peers have philosophical duties? Cool! *giggle* Perhaps that is why
                  I am
                  > not one... or perhaps it is why I should be one... but the, perhaps
                  it
                  > would be best if I were but to engage in the conversation of one....
                  but then I could......

                  Or at least some of 'em wax philosophical at the drop of a...
                  whatever. <g>

                  Rowen
                • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                    At 04:47 PM 12/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                    >As I recall, the particular point under discussion at that moment was
                    >the notion that those peers who traveled extensively should take it
                    >upon themselves to watch for talented individuals living in
                    >less-traveled areas who might not be receiving the recognition they
                    >deserved. (Or some such. :)

                    I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole and then
                    write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                    find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.

                    Smiles,
                    Despina
                  • rowengr@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                      > I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole and
                      then
                      > write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                      > find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.

                      Yes, this is good for all folk to do. :) (Peers are just supposed to
                      be more diligent about these things. Or something.)

                      Rowen
                    • Steven Proctor
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                        Well, we have special powers and all, don't you know... :-D

                        Ta

                        Morgan

                        ...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                        handbook, right?...

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                          Oh, I know what you meant, m'dear. I'm just spinelessly unable to resist
                          a good opening... :-)

                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                              At 12:04 PM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                              >Well, we have special powers and all, don't you know... :-D

                              I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe counts as
                              special powers. *wink*

                              >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                              >handbook, right?...

                              She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you know.

                              Smiles,
                              Despina
                            • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                At 12:07 PM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                >I'm just spinelessly unable to resist
                                >a good opening... :-)

                                and thus, your sig file..... *bad ba bing*

                                Smiles,
                                Despina
                              • Steven Proctor
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                  "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:

                                  > I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe counts as
                                  >
                                  > special powers. *wink*

                                  Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                  Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true (It's a
                                  long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came with
                                  my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to me...
                                  :-D

                                  Also, when Mistress Eloise and I pool out powers we can clear traffic,
                                  allowing me to drive at insane speeds the length and breadth of the
                                  Eastrealm...

                                  > >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                                  > >handbook, right?...
                                  >
                                  > She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you know.

                                  There is that...

                                  Ta

                                  Morgan

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

                                    > >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get
                                    > >handbook, right?...
                                    >
                                    > She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you
                                    know.

                                    No, paper hadn't been invented back then. We had to make do with old
                                    used parchment, and they were out of stock that month, and somehow
                                    never got back to me... <g>

                                    Rowen
                                  • rowengr@hotmail.com
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:

                                      > Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                      > Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true
                                      (It's a
                                      > long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came
                                      with
                                      > my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to
                                      me...
                                      > :-D

                                      Must have come with the Baronial bit; I don't think it's a leaf-thing.
                                      <g>

                                      Speaking of Orders of Precedence, *is* there a site with an SCA-wide
                                      one? Someone told me they tripped over it while net-surfing, but have
                                      never found it again.

                                      > Also, when Mistress Eloise and I pool out powers we can clear
                                      traffic,
                                      > allowing me to drive at insane speeds the length and breadth of the
                                      > Eastrealm...

                                      Ah, that sounds like Mst Aleen and I folding the roads (arriving much
                                      earlier than one should have been able to at a distant event without
                                      exceeding recommended speeds.)

                                      Rowen
                                    • unclrashid@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., rowengr@h... wrote:
                                        > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil"
                                        <aheilvei@u...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > > I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole
                                        and
                                        > then
                                        > > write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                                        > > find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.
                                        >
                                        > Yes, this is good for all folk to do. :) (Peers are just supposed
                                        > be more diligent about these things. Or something.)

                                        Depending on where you live and who you know, you may find that peers
                                        get listened to regarding these matters when others may be somewhat
                                        ignored. (your mileage may vary)

                                        Rashid
                                      • unclrashid@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
                                          > "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe
                                          counts as

                                          > > special powers. *wink*
                                          >
                                          > Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                          > Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true
                                          (It's a
                                          > long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came
                                          with
                                          > my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to
                                          me...

                                          I heard there were special powers, but only when you wear a big ugly
                                          cloak with a yellow "target" on the back.... I can't verify this,
                                          however, because even though I have made quite a few cloaks and
                                          gilded bay-leaf wreathes for other people, I only ever got a little
                                          badge with my leaves on it!

                                          Rashid