Re: [Authentic_SCA] Book of hours.... Morgan

  • Steven Proctor
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
      Pish. If you really want it there's copies at alibris for, as I said, 30
      bucks. Furthermore, there's a profusion of them at bookfinder.com, some
      for as low as $15.00. Go for it.

      Thanks for the consideration, though. Sweet of you... :-)

      Ta

      Morgan

      --
      Carlotta lay on the mound of pillows strewn about the floor of the
      poolhouse, back arched and head thrown back, screaming the name of the
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
        > Errrrr. Rowen, I'm quite sure you mean bookfinder.com (please not
        the
        > SINGULAR nature of the URL). bookfinders.com leads one to a rather
        > surprising porno site.... :-(

        Ooops. Quite right. My typo. (I plead as excuse that I was typing
        while engaging in a philosophical discussion on the duties of peers.)

        Rowen
      • Steven Proctor
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
          N'sweat, dear lady. I just thought I should point that out before some
          innocent was lured into the clutches of such vile temptation.... :-)

          And what are the peers saying about their duties? Philosophically, of
          course... :-)

          Ta

          Morgan

          --
          Carlotta lay on the mound of pillows strewn about the floor of the
          poolhouse, back arched and head thrown back, screaming the name of the
          only man who had ever taken her to the pinnacle of unbridled ecstasy,
          the only man with whom she had experienced the overwhelming rush of
          carnal electricity - unfortunately not the man who now peered up at her
          from the tangle of hastily discarded clothing with the sullen and
          quizzical visage of a calf looking at a new gate.
        • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
            >Ooops. Quite right. My typo. (I plead as excuse that I was typing
            >while engaging in a philosophical discussion on the duties of peers.)

            Peers have philosophical duties? Cool! *giggle* Perhaps that is why I am
            not one... or perhaps it is why I should be one... but the, perhaps it
            would be best if I were but to engage in the conversation of one.... but
            then I could......

            Smiles,
            Despina
          • Steven Proctor
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
              In that you are completely incorrect, m'dear. I would, and in a New York
              minute. I just don't like competition... :-)

              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                  At 11:13 AM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                  >Pish. If you really want it there's copies at alibris for, as I said, 30
                  >bucks. Furthermore, there's a profusion of them at bookfinder.com, some
                  >for as low as $15.00. Go for it.

                  Just checked the stash. Not much there and I have to buy some silk brocade
                  for a new project very soon. It's yours.

                  >Thanks for the consideration, though. Sweet of you... :-)

                  I never outbid my friends, it's rude IMO (if I know I'm doing
                  it). Besides, I can usually borrow ......

                  Smiles,
                  Despina
                • rowengr@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
                    > N'sweat, dear lady. I just thought I should point that out before
                    some
                    > innocent was lured into the clutches of such vile temptation.... :-)

                    Haven't actually seen the site in question myself, but I wouldn't wish
                    to refer someone there who did not actually intend to go... <g>

                    > And what are the peers saying about their duties? Philosophically,
                    >of course... :-)

                    As I recall, the particular point under discussion at that moment was
                    the notion that those peers who traveled extensively should take it
                    upon themselves to watch for talented individuals living in
                    less-traveled areas who might not be receiving the recognition they
                    deserved. (Or some such. :)

                    Rowen
                  • rowengr@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                      > Peers have philosophical duties? Cool! *giggle* Perhaps that is why
                      I am
                      > not one... or perhaps it is why I should be one... but the, perhaps
                      it
                      > would be best if I were but to engage in the conversation of one....
                      but then I could......

                      Or at least some of 'em wax philosophical at the drop of a...
                      whatever. <g>

                      Rowen
                    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                        At 04:47 PM 12/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                        >As I recall, the particular point under discussion at that moment was
                        >the notion that those peers who traveled extensively should take it
                        >upon themselves to watch for talented individuals living in
                        >less-traveled areas who might not be receiving the recognition they
                        >deserved. (Or some such. :)

                        I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole and then
                        write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                        find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.

                        Smiles,
                        Despina
                      • rowengr@hotmail.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                          > I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole and
                          then
                          > write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                          > find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.

                          Yes, this is good for all folk to do. :) (Peers are just supposed to
                          be more diligent about these things. Or something.)

                          Rowen
                        • Steven Proctor
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                            Well, we have special powers and all, don't you know... :-D

                            Ta

                            Morgan

                            ...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                            handbook, right?...

                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                              Oh, I know what you meant, m'dear. I'm just spinelessly unable to resist
                              a good opening... :-)

                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                  At 12:04 PM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                  >Well, we have special powers and all, don't you know... :-D

                                  I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe counts as
                                  special powers. *wink*

                                  >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                                  >handbook, right?...

                                  She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you know.

                                  Smiles,
                                  Despina
                                • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                    At 12:07 PM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                    >I'm just spinelessly unable to resist
                                    >a good opening... :-)

                                    and thus, your sig file..... *bad ba bing*

                                    Smiles,
                                    Despina
                                  • Steven Proctor
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                      "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:

                                      > I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe counts as
                                      >
                                      > special powers. *wink*

                                      Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                      Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true (It's a
                                      long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came with
                                      my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to me...
                                      :-D

                                      Also, when Mistress Eloise and I pool out powers we can clear traffic,
                                      allowing me to drive at insane speeds the length and breadth of the
                                      Eastrealm...

                                      > >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                                      > >handbook, right?...
                                      >
                                      > She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you know.

                                      There is that...

                                      Ta

                                      Morgan

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

                                        > >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get
                                        > >handbook, right?...
                                        >
                                        > She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you
                                        know.

                                        No, paper hadn't been invented back then. We had to make do with old
                                        used parchment, and they were out of stock that month, and somehow
                                        never got back to me... <g>

                                        Rowen
                                      • rowengr@hotmail.com
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:

                                          > Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                          > Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true
                                          (It's a
                                          > long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came
                                          with
                                          > my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to
                                          me...
                                          > :-D

                                          Must have come with the Baronial bit; I don't think it's a leaf-thing.
                                          <g>

                                          Speaking of Orders of Precedence, *is* there a site with an SCA-wide
                                          one? Someone told me they tripped over it while net-surfing, but have
                                          never found it again.

                                          > Also, when Mistress Eloise and I pool out powers we can clear
                                          traffic,
                                          > allowing me to drive at insane speeds the length and breadth of the
                                          > Eastrealm...

                                          Ah, that sounds like Mst Aleen and I folding the roads (arriving much
                                          earlier than one should have been able to at a distant event without
                                          exceeding recommended speeds.)

                                          Rowen
                                        • unclrashid@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., rowengr@h... wrote:
                                            > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil"
                                            <aheilvei@u...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > > I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole
                                            and
                                            > then
                                            > > write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                                            > > find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.
                                            >
                                            > Yes, this is good for all folk to do. :) (Peers are just supposed
                                            > be more diligent about these things. Or something.)

                                            Depending on where you live and who you know, you may find that peers
                                            get listened to regarding these matters when others may be somewhat
                                            ignored. (your mileage may vary)

                                            Rashid
                                          • unclrashid@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
                                              > "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe
                                              counts as

                                              > > special powers. *wink*
                                              >
                                              > Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                              > Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true
                                              (It's a
                                              > long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came
                                              with
                                              > my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to
                                              me...

                                              I heard there were special powers, but only when you wear a big ugly
                                              cloak with a yellow "target" on the back.... I can't verify this,
                                              however, because even though I have made quite a few cloaks and
                                              gilded bay-leaf wreathes for other people, I only ever got a little
                                              badge with my leaves on it!

                                              Rashid