Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Book of hours.... Morgan

  • Steven Proctor
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
      Errrrr. Rowen, I'm quite sure you mean bookfinder.com (please not the
      SINGULAR nature of the URL). bookfinders.com leads one to a rather
      surprising porno site.... :-(

      I do like bookfinder, yes. But I've been dealing with alibris since they
      were really the only thing going (and were under a different name which,
      alas, I have forgotten...) and old habits die hard. :-)

      Ta

      Morgan

      --
      Carlotta lay on the mound of pillows strewn about the floor of the
      poolhouse, back arched and head thrown back, screaming the name of the
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
        Pish. If you really want it there's copies at alibris for, as I said, 30
        bucks. Furthermore, there's a profusion of them at bookfinder.com, some
        for as low as $15.00. Go for it.

        Thanks for the consideration, though. Sweet of you... :-)

        Ta

        Morgan

        --
      • rowengr@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
          > Errrrr. Rowen, I'm quite sure you mean bookfinder.com (please not
          the
          > SINGULAR nature of the URL). bookfinders.com leads one to a rather
          > surprising porno site.... :-(

          Ooops. Quite right. My typo. (I plead as excuse that I was typing
          while engaging in a philosophical discussion on the duties of peers.)

          Rowen
        • Steven Proctor
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
            N'sweat, dear lady. I just thought I should point that out before some
            innocent was lured into the clutches of such vile temptation.... :-)

            And what are the peers saying about their duties? Philosophically, of
            course... :-)

            Ta

            Morgan

            --
            Carlotta lay on the mound of pillows strewn about the floor of the
            poolhouse, back arched and head thrown back, screaming the name of the
            only man who had ever taken her to the pinnacle of unbridled ecstasy,
            the only man with whom she had experienced the overwhelming rush of
            carnal electricity - unfortunately not the man who now peered up at her
            from the tangle of hastily discarded clothing with the sullen and
            quizzical visage of a calf looking at a new gate.
          • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
              >Ooops. Quite right. My typo. (I plead as excuse that I was typing
              >while engaging in a philosophical discussion on the duties of peers.)

              Peers have philosophical duties? Cool! *giggle* Perhaps that is why I am
              not one... or perhaps it is why I should be one... but the, perhaps it
              would be best if I were but to engage in the conversation of one.... but
              then I could......

              Smiles,
              Despina
            • Steven Proctor
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                In that you are completely incorrect, m'dear. I would, and in a New York
                minute. I just don't like competition... :-)

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                    At 11:13 AM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                    >Pish. If you really want it there's copies at alibris for, as I said, 30
                    >bucks. Furthermore, there's a profusion of them at bookfinder.com, some
                    >for as low as $15.00. Go for it.

                    Just checked the stash. Not much there and I have to buy some silk brocade
                    for a new project very soon. It's yours.

                    >Thanks for the consideration, though. Sweet of you... :-)

                    I never outbid my friends, it's rude IMO (if I know I'm doing
                    it). Besides, I can usually borrow ......

                    Smiles,
                    Despina
                  • rowengr@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
                      > N'sweat, dear lady. I just thought I should point that out before
                      some
                      > innocent was lured into the clutches of such vile temptation.... :-)

                      Haven't actually seen the site in question myself, but I wouldn't wish
                      to refer someone there who did not actually intend to go... <g>

                      > And what are the peers saying about their duties? Philosophically,
                      >of course... :-)

                      As I recall, the particular point under discussion at that moment was
                      the notion that those peers who traveled extensively should take it
                      upon themselves to watch for talented individuals living in
                      less-traveled areas who might not be receiving the recognition they
                      deserved. (Or some such. :)

                      Rowen
                    • rowengr@hotmail.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                        > Peers have philosophical duties? Cool! *giggle* Perhaps that is why
                        I am
                        > not one... or perhaps it is why I should be one... but the, perhaps
                        it
                        > would be best if I were but to engage in the conversation of one....
                        but then I could......

                        Or at least some of 'em wax philosophical at the drop of a...
                        whatever. <g>

                        Rowen
                      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                          At 04:47 PM 12/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                          >As I recall, the particular point under discussion at that moment was
                          >the notion that those peers who traveled extensively should take it
                          >upon themselves to watch for talented individuals living in
                          >less-traveled areas who might not be receiving the recognition they
                          >deserved. (Or some such. :)

                          I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole and then
                          write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                          find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.

                          Smiles,
                          Despina
                        • rowengr@hotmail.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                            > I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole and
                            then
                            > write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                            > find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.

                            Yes, this is good for all folk to do. :) (Peers are just supposed to
                            be more diligent about these things. Or something.)

                            Rowen
                          • Steven Proctor
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                              Well, we have special powers and all, don't you know... :-D

                              Ta

                              Morgan

                              ...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                              handbook, right?...

                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                Oh, I know what you meant, m'dear. I'm just spinelessly unable to resist
                                a good opening... :-)

                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                    At 12:04 PM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                    >Well, we have special powers and all, don't you know... :-D

                                    I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe counts as
                                    special powers. *wink*

                                    >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                                    >handbook, right?...

                                    She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you know.

                                    Smiles,
                                    Despina
                                  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                      At 12:07 PM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                      >I'm just spinelessly unable to resist
                                      >a good opening... :-)

                                      and thus, your sig file..... *bad ba bing*

                                      Smiles,
                                      Despina
                                    • Steven Proctor
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                        "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:

                                        > I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe counts as
                                        >
                                        > special powers. *wink*

                                        Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                        Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true (It's a
                                        long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came with
                                        my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to me...
                                        :-D

                                        Also, when Mistress Eloise and I pool out powers we can clear traffic,
                                        allowing me to drive at insane speeds the length and breadth of the
                                        Eastrealm...

                                        > >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                                        > >handbook, right?...
                                        >
                                        > She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you know.

                                        There is that...

                                        Ta

                                        Morgan

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

                                          > >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get
                                          > >handbook, right?...
                                          >
                                          > She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you
                                          know.

                                          No, paper hadn't been invented back then. We had to make do with old
                                          used parchment, and they were out of stock that month, and somehow
                                          never got back to me... <g>

                                          Rowen
                                        • rowengr@hotmail.com
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:

                                            > Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                            > Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true
                                            (It's a
                                            > long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came
                                            with
                                            > my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to
                                            me...
                                            > :-D

                                            Must have come with the Baronial bit; I don't think it's a leaf-thing.
                                            <g>

                                            Speaking of Orders of Precedence, *is* there a site with an SCA-wide
                                            one? Someone told me they tripped over it while net-surfing, but have
                                            never found it again.

                                            > Also, when Mistress Eloise and I pool out powers we can clear
                                            traffic,
                                            > allowing me to drive at insane speeds the length and breadth of the
                                            > Eastrealm...

                                            Ah, that sounds like Mst Aleen and I folding the roads (arriving much
                                            earlier than one should have been able to at a distant event without
                                            exceeding recommended speeds.)

                                            Rowen
                                          • unclrashid@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., rowengr@h... wrote:
                                              > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil"
                                              <aheilvei@u...>
                                              > wrote:
                                              > > I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole
                                              and
                                              > then
                                              > > write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                                              > > find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.
                                              >
                                              > Yes, this is good for all folk to do. :) (Peers are just supposed
                                              > be more diligent about these things. Or something.)

                                              Depending on where you live and who you know, you may find that peers
                                              get listened to regarding these matters when others may be somewhat
                                              ignored. (your mileage may vary)

                                              Rashid
                                            • unclrashid@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
                                                > "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe
                                                counts as

                                                > > special powers. *wink*
                                                >
                                                > Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                                > Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true
                                                (It's a
                                                > long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came
                                                with
                                                > my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to
                                                me...

                                                I heard there were special powers, but only when you wear a big ugly
                                                cloak with a yellow "target" on the back.... I can't verify this,
                                                however, because even though I have made quite a few cloaks and
                                                gilded bay-leaf wreathes for other people, I only ever got a little
                                                badge with my leaves on it!

                                                Rashid