Re: Book of hours.... Morgan

  • rowengr@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
      > OK, New Rule:
      >
      > Never get involved in an E-Bay auction for a book without first
      having *
      > thoroughly * checked out the used book sites that are kicking around
      > (alibris.com is a personal favorite)

      <snip>
      > myself, if he's got two copies perhaps there are more floating out
      > there, so I wanders over to alibris.com and lo! and behold there are
      > half a dozen, in various states of repair, and all of them under
      $40.00.

      Good going. I tend to shop at bookfinders.com - they access several
      search engines, including alibris. I find alibris to be a bit more
      expensive - sometimes the exact same item is available from the exact
      same dealer (comparing the descriptions) at ABE or one of the others.

      Rowen
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
        At 10:43 AM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
        >You and me both, at this point. On the other hand I've put in a bid on a
        >heraldry book that runs from $30.00 to $60.00, which I may very well get
        >for $15.00.

        Good luck. I found that book last night and almost bid but saw you as high
        bidder. :( Hope you win.

        Smiles,
        Despina
      • Steven Proctor
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
          Errrrr. Rowen, I'm quite sure you mean bookfinder.com (please not the
          SINGULAR nature of the URL). bookfinders.com leads one to a rather
          surprising porno site.... :-(

          I do like bookfinder, yes. But I've been dealing with alibris since they
          were really the only thing going (and were under a different name which,
          alas, I have forgotten...) and old habits die hard. :-)

          Ta

          Morgan

          --
          Carlotta lay on the mound of pillows strewn about the floor of the
          poolhouse, back arched and head thrown back, screaming the name of the
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
            Pish. If you really want it there's copies at alibris for, as I said, 30
            bucks. Furthermore, there's a profusion of them at bookfinder.com, some
            for as low as $15.00. Go for it.

            Thanks for the consideration, though. Sweet of you... :-)

            Ta

            Morgan

            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
              > Errrrr. Rowen, I'm quite sure you mean bookfinder.com (please not
              the
              > SINGULAR nature of the URL). bookfinders.com leads one to a rather
              > surprising porno site.... :-(

              Ooops. Quite right. My typo. (I plead as excuse that I was typing
              while engaging in a philosophical discussion on the duties of peers.)

              Rowen
            • Steven Proctor
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                N'sweat, dear lady. I just thought I should point that out before some
                innocent was lured into the clutches of such vile temptation.... :-)

                And what are the peers saying about their duties? Philosophically, of
                course... :-)

                Ta

                Morgan

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                  >Ooops. Quite right. My typo. (I plead as excuse that I was typing
                  >while engaging in a philosophical discussion on the duties of peers.)

                  Peers have philosophical duties? Cool! *giggle* Perhaps that is why I am
                  not one... or perhaps it is why I should be one... but the, perhaps it
                  would be best if I were but to engage in the conversation of one.... but
                  then I could......

                  Smiles,
                  Despina
                • Steven Proctor
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                    In that you are completely incorrect, m'dear. I would, and in a New York
                    minute. I just don't like competition... :-)

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                        At 11:13 AM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                        >Pish. If you really want it there's copies at alibris for, as I said, 30
                        >bucks. Furthermore, there's a profusion of them at bookfinder.com, some
                        >for as low as $15.00. Go for it.

                        Just checked the stash. Not much there and I have to buy some silk brocade
                        for a new project very soon. It's yours.

                        >Thanks for the consideration, though. Sweet of you... :-)

                        I never outbid my friends, it's rude IMO (if I know I'm doing
                        it). Besides, I can usually borrow ......

                        Smiles,
                        Despina
                      • rowengr@hotmail.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
                          > N'sweat, dear lady. I just thought I should point that out before
                          some
                          > innocent was lured into the clutches of such vile temptation.... :-)

                          Haven't actually seen the site in question myself, but I wouldn't wish
                          to refer someone there who did not actually intend to go... <g>

                          > And what are the peers saying about their duties? Philosophically,
                          >of course... :-)

                          As I recall, the particular point under discussion at that moment was
                          the notion that those peers who traveled extensively should take it
                          upon themselves to watch for talented individuals living in
                          less-traveled areas who might not be receiving the recognition they
                          deserved. (Or some such. :)

                          Rowen
                        • rowengr@hotmail.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                            > Peers have philosophical duties? Cool! *giggle* Perhaps that is why
                            I am
                            > not one... or perhaps it is why I should be one... but the, perhaps
                            it
                            > would be best if I were but to engage in the conversation of one....
                            but then I could......

                            Or at least some of 'em wax philosophical at the drop of a...
                            whatever. <g>

                            Rowen
                          • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                              At 04:47 PM 12/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                              >As I recall, the particular point under discussion at that moment was
                              >the notion that those peers who traveled extensively should take it
                              >upon themselves to watch for talented individuals living in
                              >less-traveled areas who might not be receiving the recognition they
                              >deserved. (Or some such. :)

                              I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole and then
                              write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                              find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.

                              Smiles,
                              Despina
                            • rowengr@hotmail.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                > I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole and
                                then
                                > write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                                > find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.

                                Yes, this is good for all folk to do. :) (Peers are just supposed to
                                be more diligent about these things. Or something.)

                                Rowen
                              • Steven Proctor
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                  Well, we have special powers and all, don't you know... :-D

                                  Ta

                                  Morgan

                                  ...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                                  handbook, right?...

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                    Oh, I know what you meant, m'dear. I'm just spinelessly unable to resist
                                    a good opening... :-)

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                        At 12:04 PM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                        >Well, we have special powers and all, don't you know... :-D

                                        I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe counts as
                                        special powers. *wink*

                                        >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                                        >handbook, right?...

                                        She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you know.

                                        Smiles,
                                        Despina
                                      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                          At 12:07 PM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                          >I'm just spinelessly unable to resist
                                          >a good opening... :-)

                                          and thus, your sig file..... *bad ba bing*

                                          Smiles,
                                          Despina
                                        • Steven Proctor
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                            "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:

                                            > I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe counts as
                                            >
                                            > special powers. *wink*

                                            Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                            Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true (It's a
                                            long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came with
                                            my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to me...
                                            :-D

                                            Also, when Mistress Eloise and I pool out powers we can clear traffic,
                                            allowing me to drive at insane speeds the length and breadth of the
                                            Eastrealm...

                                            > >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                                            > >handbook, right?...
                                            >
                                            > She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you know.

                                            There is that...

                                            Ta

                                            Morgan

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

                                              > >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get
                                              > >handbook, right?...
                                              >
                                              > She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you
                                              know.

                                              No, paper hadn't been invented back then. We had to make do with old
                                              used parchment, and they were out of stock that month, and somehow
                                              never got back to me... <g>

                                              Rowen
                                            • rowengr@hotmail.com
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:

                                                > Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                                > Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true
                                                (It's a
                                                > long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came
                                                with
                                                > my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to
                                                me...
                                                > :-D

                                                Must have come with the Baronial bit; I don't think it's a leaf-thing.
                                                <g>

                                                Speaking of Orders of Precedence, *is* there a site with an SCA-wide
                                                one? Someone told me they tripped over it while net-surfing, but have
                                                never found it again.

                                                > Also, when Mistress Eloise and I pool out powers we can clear
                                                traffic,
                                                > allowing me to drive at insane speeds the length and breadth of the
                                                > Eastrealm...

                                                Ah, that sounds like Mst Aleen and I folding the roads (arriving much
                                                earlier than one should have been able to at a distant event without
                                                exceeding recommended speeds.)

                                                Rowen
                                              • unclrashid@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., rowengr@h... wrote:
                                                  > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil"
                                                  <aheilvei@u...>
                                                  > wrote:
                                                  > > I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole
                                                  and
                                                  > then
                                                  > > write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                                                  > > find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.
                                                  >
                                                  > Yes, this is good for all folk to do. :) (Peers are just supposed
                                                  > be more diligent about these things. Or something.)

                                                  Depending on where you live and who you know, you may find that peers
                                                  get listened to regarding these matters when others may be somewhat
                                                  ignored. (your mileage may vary)

                                                  Rashid
                                                • unclrashid@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                                    --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
                                                    > "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    > > I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe
                                                    counts as

                                                    > > special powers. *wink*
                                                    >
                                                    > Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                                    > Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true
                                                    (It's a
                                                    > long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came
                                                    with
                                                    > my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to
                                                    me...

                                                    I heard there were special powers, but only when you wear a big ugly
                                                    cloak with a yellow "target" on the back.... I can't verify this,
                                                    however, because even though I have made quite a few cloaks and
                                                    gilded bay-leaf wreathes for other people, I only ever got a little
                                                    badge with my leaves on it!

                                                    Rashid