gum tragacanth

  • Jeff Heilveil
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 29 7:13 PM
      Actually, it has nothing to do with firmness, that's what the sugar is
      for. The perpuse of the gum is to give sugarpaste it's elasticity. If
      you take marzipan dough and roll it, it behaves like bread dough. If you
      do the same with sugarpaste and you aren't careful, it'll twist around in
      the center. It's VERY elastic, which is why it's such a pain with which
      to play. I'm still getting used to it, but you can't do LARGE freeform
      objects because it won't hold it's own weight while it dries. I am
      looking into period scaffoldings used on which to form it in period, but
      SCA stuff has really been on hold for the last while since I had to
      restructure part of my dissertation.

      Cu drag,
      Bogdan

      "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know."
      -Kansas, Wayward son
      Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.
      PhD Candidate, Department of Entomology
      University of Illinois
      heilveil@...
      lab: (217) 333-2929

      A Bear's Paw and Base Vert on Field Argent
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 30 10:01 AM
        Congrats Morgan.

        Hopefully you will win the book, I see the price has jumped considerably
        since I posted that it was on ebay. Hope you don't feel as if you're going
        to the cleaners.... but a couple hundred is better than a couple thousand.

        Hope you win.

        SMiles,
        Despina
      • Steven Proctor
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 30 10:44 AM
          I'm hoping. Cross you fingers for me. My max bid is probably more than I
          should be thinking about spending on a book just now, and a small one at
          that, but we'll see what happens.

          I'm bidding on a Heraldry book as well, so it could be a busy e-bay
          weekend... :-)

          Ta

          Morgan

          "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:

          > Congrats Morgan.
          >
          > Hopefully you will win the book, I see the price has jumped
          > considerably
          > since I posted that it was on ebay. Hope you don't feel as if you're
          > going
          > to the cleaners.... but a couple hundred is better than a couple
          > thousand.
          >
          > Hope you win.
          >
          > SMiles,
          > Despina

          Carlotta lay on the mound of pillows strewn about the floor of the
          poolhouse, back arched and head thrown back, screaming the name of the
          only man who had ever taken her to the pinnacle of unbridled ecstasy,
          the only man with whom she had experienced the overwhelming rush of
          carnal electricity - unfortunately not the man who now peered up at her
          from the tangle of hastily discarded clothing with the sullen and
          quizzical visage of a calf looking at a new gate.
        • Steven Proctor
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
            OK, New Rule:

            Never get involved in an E-Bay auction for a book without first having *
            thoroughly * checked out the used book sites that are kicking around
            (alibris.com is a personal favorite).

            To make a long story short, I did *not* get the book, despite having put
            in a bid of $150.00. Subsequently, I received an e-mail from the person
            running the auction, saying he had a second copy of said book, and that
            he'd let me have it for the $150.00 that I'd bid. Well, I thought to
            myself, if he's got two copies perhaps there are more floating out
            there, so I wanders over to alibris.com and lo! and behold there are
            half a dozen, in various states of repair, and all of them under $40.00.

            Needless to say, I won't be sending him a check.....

            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
              At 09:58 AM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
              >so I wanders over to alibris.com and lo! and behold there are
              >half a dozen, in various states of repair, and all of them under $40.00.
              >
              >Needless to say, I won't be sending him a check.....

              Glad you lost in this case. Wow. Auctions get your blood pumping and
              everything moving. Kind of the point of them. Glad you found the book
              somewhere at a reasonable price, though.

              Smiles,
              Despina
            • Steven Proctor
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                You and me both, at this point. On the other hand I've put in a bid on a
                heraldry book that runs from $30.00 to $60.00, which I may very well get
                for $15.00. E-Bay has it's place, but I won't go there without checking
                again. :-D

                --
              • rowengr@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
                  > OK, New Rule:
                  >
                  > Never get involved in an E-Bay auction for a book without first
                  having *
                  > thoroughly * checked out the used book sites that are kicking around
                  > (alibris.com is a personal favorite)

                  <snip>
                  > myself, if he's got two copies perhaps there are more floating out
                  > there, so I wanders over to alibris.com and lo! and behold there are
                  > half a dozen, in various states of repair, and all of them under
                  $40.00.

                  Good going. I tend to shop at bookfinders.com - they access several
                  search engines, including alibris. I find alibris to be a bit more
                  expensive - sometimes the exact same item is available from the exact
                  same dealer (comparing the descriptions) at ABE or one of the others.

                  Rowen
                • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                    At 10:43 AM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                    >You and me both, at this point. On the other hand I've put in a bid on a
                    >heraldry book that runs from $30.00 to $60.00, which I may very well get
                    >for $15.00.

                    Good luck. I found that book last night and almost bid but saw you as high
                    bidder. :( Hope you win.

                    Smiles,
                    Despina
                  • Steven Proctor
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                      Errrrr. Rowen, I'm quite sure you mean bookfinder.com (please not the
                      SINGULAR nature of the URL). bookfinders.com leads one to a rather
                      surprising porno site.... :-(

                      I do like bookfinder, yes. But I've been dealing with alibris since they
                      were really the only thing going (and were under a different name which,
                      alas, I have forgotten...) and old habits die hard. :-)

                      Ta

                      Morgan

                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                        Pish. If you really want it there's copies at alibris for, as I said, 30
                        bucks. Furthermore, there's a profusion of them at bookfinder.com, some
                        for as low as $15.00. Go for it.

                        Thanks for the consideration, though. Sweet of you... :-)

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
                          > Errrrr. Rowen, I'm quite sure you mean bookfinder.com (please not
                          the
                          > SINGULAR nature of the URL). bookfinders.com leads one to a rather
                          > surprising porno site.... :-(

                          Ooops. Quite right. My typo. (I plead as excuse that I was typing
                          while engaging in a philosophical discussion on the duties of peers.)

                          Rowen
                        • Steven Proctor
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                            N'sweat, dear lady. I just thought I should point that out before some
                            innocent was lured into the clutches of such vile temptation.... :-)

                            And what are the peers saying about their duties? Philosophically, of
                            course... :-)

                            Ta

                            Morgan

                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                              >Ooops. Quite right. My typo. (I plead as excuse that I was typing
                              >while engaging in a philosophical discussion on the duties of peers.)

                              Peers have philosophical duties? Cool! *giggle* Perhaps that is why I am
                              not one... or perhaps it is why I should be one... but the, perhaps it
                              would be best if I were but to engage in the conversation of one.... but
                              then I could......

                              Smiles,
                              Despina
                            • Steven Proctor
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                In that you are completely incorrect, m'dear. I would, and in a New York
                                minute. I just don't like competition... :-)

                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                    At 11:13 AM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                    >Pish. If you really want it there's copies at alibris for, as I said, 30
                                    >bucks. Furthermore, there's a profusion of them at bookfinder.com, some
                                    >for as low as $15.00. Go for it.

                                    Just checked the stash. Not much there and I have to buy some silk brocade
                                    for a new project very soon. It's yours.

                                    >Thanks for the consideration, though. Sweet of you... :-)

                                    I never outbid my friends, it's rude IMO (if I know I'm doing
                                    it). Besides, I can usually borrow ......

                                    Smiles,
                                    Despina
                                  • rowengr@hotmail.com
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
                                      > N'sweat, dear lady. I just thought I should point that out before
                                      some
                                      > innocent was lured into the clutches of such vile temptation.... :-)

                                      Haven't actually seen the site in question myself, but I wouldn't wish
                                      to refer someone there who did not actually intend to go... <g>

                                      > And what are the peers saying about their duties? Philosophically,
                                      >of course... :-)

                                      As I recall, the particular point under discussion at that moment was
                                      the notion that those peers who traveled extensively should take it
                                      upon themselves to watch for talented individuals living in
                                      less-traveled areas who might not be receiving the recognition they
                                      deserved. (Or some such. :)

                                      Rowen
                                    • rowengr@hotmail.com
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                        > Peers have philosophical duties? Cool! *giggle* Perhaps that is why
                                        I am
                                        > not one... or perhaps it is why I should be one... but the, perhaps
                                        it
                                        > would be best if I were but to engage in the conversation of one....
                                        but then I could......

                                        Or at least some of 'em wax philosophical at the drop of a...
                                        whatever. <g>

                                        Rowen
                                      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                          At 04:47 PM 12/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                                          >As I recall, the particular point under discussion at that moment was
                                          >the notion that those peers who traveled extensively should take it
                                          >upon themselves to watch for talented individuals living in
                                          >less-traveled areas who might not be receiving the recognition they
                                          >deserved. (Or some such. :)

                                          I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole and then
                                          write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                                          find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.

                                          Smiles,
                                          Despina
                                        • rowengr@hotmail.com
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                            > I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole and
                                            then
                                            > write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                                            > find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.

                                            Yes, this is good for all folk to do. :) (Peers are just supposed to
                                            be more diligent about these things. Or something.)

                                            Rowen
                                          • Steven Proctor
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                              Well, we have special powers and all, don't you know... :-D

                                              Ta

                                              Morgan

                                              ...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                                              handbook, right?...

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                                Oh, I know what you meant, m'dear. I'm just spinelessly unable to resist
                                                a good opening... :-)

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                                    At 12:04 PM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                                    >Well, we have special powers and all, don't you know... :-D

                                                    I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe counts as
                                                    special powers. *wink*

                                                    >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                                                    >handbook, right?...

                                                    She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you know.

                                                    Smiles,
                                                    Despina
                                                  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                                      At 12:07 PM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                                      >I'm just spinelessly unable to resist
                                                      >a good opening... :-)

                                                      and thus, your sig file..... *bad ba bing*

                                                      Smiles,
                                                      Despina
                                                    • Steven Proctor
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                                        "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:

                                                        > I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe counts as
                                                        >
                                                        > special powers. *wink*

                                                        Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                                        Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true (It's a
                                                        long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came with
                                                        my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to me...
                                                        :-D

                                                        Also, when Mistress Eloise and I pool out powers we can clear traffic,
                                                        allowing me to drive at insane speeds the length and breadth of the
                                                        Eastrealm...

                                                        > >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get a
                                                        > >handbook, right?...
                                                        >
                                                        > She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you know.

                                                        There is that...

                                                        Ta

                                                        Morgan

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001

                                                          > >...what, didn't you read he section of the handbook? You *did* get
                                                          > >handbook, right?...
                                                          >
                                                          > She probably did, but they haven't been updated in 20 years, you
                                                          know.

                                                          No, paper hadn't been invented back then. We had to make do with old
                                                          used parchment, and they were out of stock that month, and somehow
                                                          never got back to me... <g>

                                                          Rowen
                                                        • rowengr@hotmail.com
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                                            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:

                                                            > Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                                            > Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true
                                                            (It's a
                                                            > long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came
                                                            with
                                                            > my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to
                                                            me...
                                                            > :-D

                                                            Must have come with the Baronial bit; I don't think it's a leaf-thing.
                                                            <g>

                                                            Speaking of Orders of Precedence, *is* there a site with an SCA-wide
                                                            one? Someone told me they tripped over it while net-surfing, but have
                                                            never found it again.

                                                            > Also, when Mistress Eloise and I pool out powers we can clear
                                                            traffic,
                                                            > allowing me to drive at insane speeds the length and breadth of the
                                                            > Eastrealm...

                                                            Ah, that sounds like Mst Aleen and I folding the roads (arriving much
                                                            earlier than one should have been able to at a distant event without
                                                            exceeding recommended speeds.)

                                                            Rowen
                                                          • unclrashid@aol.com
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                                              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., rowengr@h... wrote:
                                                              > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil"
                                                              <aheilvei@u...>
                                                              > wrote:
                                                              > > I thought that was one of the things SCA members do as a whole
                                                              and
                                                              > then
                                                              > > write letters to the Crown telling of the wonderful people they
                                                              > > find. *sigh* Guess I don't understand the system at all.
                                                              >
                                                              > Yes, this is good for all folk to do. :) (Peers are just supposed
                                                              > be more diligent about these things. Or something.)

                                                              Depending on where you live and who you know, you may find that peers
                                                              get listened to regarding these matters when others may be somewhat
                                                              ignored. (your mileage may vary)

                                                              Rashid
                                                            • unclrashid@aol.com
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Dec 3, 2001
                                                                --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Steven Proctor <sproctor@b...> wrote:
                                                                > "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:
                                                                >
                                                                > > I don't believe that hiding pages in the folds of your houpe
                                                                counts as

                                                                > > special powers. *wink*
                                                                >
                                                                > Pish. That's nothing. I have an absolute control over the Order of
                                                                > Precedence. I've been told so, several times, so it must be true
                                                                (It's a
                                                                > long, silly/stupid story...). Though, come to think of it that came
                                                                with
                                                                > my baron's coronet, so it may not be a Laurel thing. So be nice to
                                                                me...

                                                                I heard there were special powers, but only when you wear a big ugly
                                                                cloak with a yellow "target" on the back.... I can't verify this,
                                                                however, because even though I have made quite a few cloaks and
                                                                gilded bay-leaf wreathes for other people, I only ever got a little
                                                                badge with my leaves on it!

                                                                Rashid