Re: braies pics/diff perspective?

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2001
      At 11:35 AM 11/29/2001 -0500, you wrote:
      > First, thank you so very much for your answer and inquiry
      > about myself.

      No problem, I'm talkative and this place helps. *grin*

      Welll...for the nonce, I'll just say that I've been playing
      for 5+ years, but in
      >the last several months, I have seen the error of my ways. Currently
      >trying to go
      >from "stickjocksquirewhohitshardwearsminimumarmorwithclothoftrigger"to
      >something
      >like I saw in a recent Pas d'Armes hosted by the Company of the Grail
      >(Ansteorra).

      Very cool. it's always a wonderful feeling to be inspired to be what one
      perceives to be better (at least I think It's a great feeling).

      >Actually, I have been trying to improve my kit for a couple of years, but
      >looking (and
      >listening to) some of the living history groups has seemed to make
      >authenticity a
      >money issue. I have 7 children.

      WOW! Seven! Wow!

      >Money is always an issue. Recently (credit due
      >here) Don Robert, Sir Alexis and Duke Kien (my Knight), have been helping me
      >down the straight, narrow, and frugal path(Kien and Don Bobby are both
      >Scottish:-) .

      Frugal and authentic can go hand in hand. For instance, fabric..... you
      hear us all talking about linen and how much nicer the braies are because
      they are linen. Most people today see the word linen and freak because
      some fancy designers have decided to charge $80 for a bag dress with four
      seams (two sides, two shoulders) and a hem.

      At http://shop.store.yahoo.com/velvet-fabric/ind.html you can get wonderful
      white, 2.7 oz (that is very light weight and practically sheer) for $5 per
      yard plus shipping. Great for shirts and undergarments.

      At http://www.fabrics-store.com/ you can get multiple colors in different
      weights for $6-7 per yard. They also sell 5.7 oz white for $3.04 per yard
      plus shipping. (this is good for slightly heavier shirts).

      And http://store.yahoo.com/phoenixtextiles/ has several different weights
      in a number of colors on sale right now for $5.85 per yard plus shipping.

      Yes, this is more money than the $1.99 cotton at Wal-mart. However, your
      money will be better spent on the linen for a number of reasons.

      1. it is stronger. It won't rip as easily as the cotton. Therefore, it
      will last through three kids rather than two.
      2. it breathes better. On hot days you will be able to feel the breeze
      through your garments and your body will cool better. On cold days, it
      insulates you better (particularly as undergarments). This one is also
      particularly important on small children who run around and work up a
      sweat. I've seen a lot of kids in cotton gowns take them off while the
      kids in linen think they're weird if they're that hot.
      3. it softens. Every time you wash it, it gets softer and more comfortable.
      4. stains come out of it easier than cotton. I cut my foot and got blood
      all over the bottom of my white linen chemise. It rinsed out. Granted I
      got it to the sink before it all had completely dried, but it all wouldn't
      have come out of a rayon or cotton garment. Not even.

      The durability factor is the one you really should look at most. If the
      cotton is only going to last for two to three years and the linen will
      eventually wind up as napkins because the kids have outgrown the outfit but
      the stuff is still usable, you're getting a lot more for your money.

      More later.

      Smiles,
      Despina