Playing Cards

  • Sarah Michele Ford
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
      'afternoon all! Time for another oddball request from me.

      I have a friend who's interested in making period playing cards and asked
      me what I knew about sources for info on them - both on their appearance
      and on how cardstock might have been made in period. I don't think she's
      particular about time and place but I'm sure she'll correct me on that if
      I'm wrong.

      So. Recommendations on sources for playing cards?

      Thanks from both 'gwen and me.

      Alianor

      Sarah Michele Ford
      /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
      aka Alianor of Ravenglass
      aka the Dark Melm of Sith
      ---------------------------
      sarah@...
      \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
        So.  Recommendations on sources for playing cards?

        http://www.historicgames.com/RPcards.html

        http://directory.google.com/Top/Recreation/Collecting/Toys/Games/Playing_Cards/

        http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Collecting/Toys/Games/Playing_Cards/

        Thanks from both 'gwen and me.

        You're welcome.

        The Visconti-Sforza are the most famous still in exsistance deck of playing cards and you can buy a reproduction copy of them.

        Smiles,
        Despina

      • Steven Proctor
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
          To which I add....

          http://waks.ne.mediaone.net//game-hist/seaan-cardhist.html

          http://www.pagat.com/ipcs/

          http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/playing-cards/

          Ta

          Morgan

          ...the subject came up the other day in a conversation amongst
          heralds...

          --
          Carlotta lay on the mound of pillows strewn about the floor of the
          poolhouse, back arched and head thrown back, screaming the name of the
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Sarah Michele Ford <sarah@s...> wrote:
            > 'afternoon all! Time for another oddball request from me.
            >
            > I have a friend who's interested in making period playing cards and
            asked
            > me what I knew about sources for info on them - both on their
            appearance
            > and on how cardstock might have been made in period. I don't think
            she's
            > particular about time and place but I'm sure she'll correct me on
            that if
            > I'm wrong.
            >
            > So. Recommendations on sources for playing cards?

            If you don't get enough info from the sites others have posted, also
            try a search on Tarot Cards. They were used for game playing in
            period, as well as divination.

            Rashid
          • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
              At 03:30 PM 11/14/2001 -0600, you wrote:
              >'afternoon all! Time for another oddball request from me.
              >
              >I have a friend who's interested in making period playing cards and asked
              >me what I knew about sources for info on them - both on their appearance
              >and on how cardstock might have been made in period. I don't think she's
              >particular about time and place but I'm sure she'll correct me on that if
              >I'm wrong.
              >
              >So. Recommendations on sources for playing cards?
              >
              >Thanks from both 'gwen and me.
              >
              >Alianor

              Greetings,

              I found this and thought it was nifty, no idea if it has any basis in fact...
              http://hawk.hama-med.ac.jp/dbk/card_calendar.html

              This is an excellent page:
              http://www.waks.org/game-hist/

              I got mine from a local merchant if I can track down the name, I will let
              you know...

              Cheers,
              Gwendoline
            • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2001
                At 03:42 PM 11/14/2001 -0600, you wrote:
                >>So. Recommendations on sources for playing cards?
                >
                >http://www.historicgames.com/RPcards.html

                These are the people I got mine from. : ) You beat me to it Despina.

                cheers,
                Gwendoline