Re: [Authentic_SCA] Hoarding Fabric, Husbands, etc.

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 46 , Nov 7, 2001
      At 01:43 PM 11/7/2001 -0600, you wrote:
      Of course, of course... but Matatias doesn't covet pretty clothes as much as I do

      Ah, I am lucky enough to have a man that wants to be well dressed.  And he can be made to see the sense of good fabric (unlike some on this list who feel they were born to silk and linen, not to mention any names Morgan).

      I bought some 5.7oz linen to make him shirts and some 3.5 linen to make a couple of shirts for him and two chemise for myself.  He tried on the heavier shirts first and loved them.  When he tried on the lighter shirts he asked why they all weren't like this...... he was in love! I explained to him the economics of it ($2.50 per yard) and he said I should buy the more expensive stuff in the future as it is worth it!

      They can be taught, you know.

      Smiles,
      Despina

    • faena0216
      Message 46 of 46 , May 24, 2004
        Miriel wrote:
        > Can dye on linen be 'set'? I know leather dyes are set with
        shene,
        > butI was wondering about dyes for fabrics...

        Dye is 'set' when the dyeing process is done. Linen is 'mordanted'
        with alum and tannin for natural dyes. This is done usually before
        the dye in introduced.

        With modern chemical dyes, the cloth is treated with (usually but not
        always) washing soda before dyeing, and washing soda may also be
        called for in the dye activation in the dyepot. Here, too, this is
        done before and during the dye process.

        Nancy