ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

  • atterlep@cs.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3 9:12 PM
      OK, I just had to delete 200 messages from my mailbox--all of which came in
      *this afternoon*. After I read the 10th cute rejoinder that appeared under
      the subject of a thread which I had once found informative, I simply gave up.

      Some of us have a finite amount of time in which to read email, or (worse
      yet) relatively slow connections. The volume of this list is overwhelming,
      and a lot of it is simply not relevant.

      Consider: do you really need to post 30 messages to this list in a single
      day? Can everything you're trying to say be compressed? At the very least,
      change the subject line so that those of us who don't have time to read this
      can avoid the "noise." I wouldn't be surprised if you have a rash of
      unsubscribe requests as infrequent mail-checkers are shocked to find 500
      messages in their inbox.

      On another note--anyone who tried to communicate with me over the list on
      Tuesday should send their message again. I didn't read it.

      Fairfax
    • rowengr@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3 9:23 PM
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., atterlep@c... wrote:
        > OK, I just had to delete 200 messages from my mailbox--all of which
        came in
        > *this afternoon*. After I read the 10th cute rejoinder that
        appeared under
        > the subject of a thread which I had once found informative, I
        simply gave up.
        > <snip>

        I've long ago set all my lists to "read from web only." If you'd
        like to consider this option, and need any assistance, feel free to
        contact me offlist and I'll try to help.

        (In the morning - I'm going to bed just now.)

        regards,

        Rowen
      • N B
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3 10:03 PM
          --- rowengr@... wrote:
          > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., atterlep@c... wrote:
          > > OK, I just had to delete 200 messages from my
          > mailbox--all of which
          > came in
          > > *this afternoon*. After I read the 10th cute rejoinder
          > that
          > appeared under
          > > the subject of a thread which I had once found
          > informative, I
          > simply gave up.
          > > <snip>

          I agree, a lot of times the messages amount to "I agree
          with what so and so said" ...Ok good it was said, another
          20 posts saying someone agrees with what was said is rather
          wasteful...I know people like validation for what was said,
          but yes 400 mails in a box is a bit much when half them say
          the same thing...and even reading from the web, they STILL
          have to be read so that is not the Solution...Like what has
          been told to me, read through your mailbox then respond in
          one post or maybe two to the other emails, instead of 20

          Just my two cents

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • constancefairfax@cs.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3 10:09 PM
            Well, now that Alan's endeared himself to the rest of the list....

            I'd just like to say....I think we should keep the topics to subjects *I* am
            interested in. :)

            Seriously, though, I'm happy to put (goofy) or (talkin' bout Effingham's
            butt) or whatever in the message title. Is that something anyone else would
            like to do?

            :)
            Constance
          • N B
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3 11:10 PM
              --- constancefairfax@... wrote:
              > Well, now that Alan's endeared himself to the rest of the
              > list....
              >
              > I'd just like to say....I think we should keep the topics
              > to subjects *I* am
              > interested in. :)
              >
              > Seriously, though, I'm happy to put (goofy) or (talkin'
              > bout Effingham's
              > butt) or whatever in the message title. Is that
              > something anyone else would
              > like to do?

              *laughs*
              In a way yes, if one goes off the topic of the email, then
              the topic title of the email should change with it, When I
              click on a title "Blackwork" I want to see something about
              blackwork , if I hit a title on "Effingham's Bum" I want to
              see his Bum ;)

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Kass McGann
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4 6:35 AM
                > Well, now that Alan's endeared himself to the rest of the list....

                Hey Constance, I like him. He gets us "started"... And from the volume on
                the list, we all sure *like* to "start".

                > I'd just like to say....I think we should keep the topics to subjects *I*
                am
                > interested in. :)

                Well me TOO! (of course, I'm interested in them all...)

                Kass
              • Brighid the-short-blonde-Scot
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 4 3:36 PM
                  I really hate to say it, but...

                  This is a forum for open discussion. I would suggest to you a few things:
                  1. Go to yahoogroups.com and set your emails as digest form.
                  2. Delete en masse topics that you don't have interest in. (For instance, on the garb list, I delete nearly everything that starts out "Elizabethan", "partlet", "corset", etc. On here, it's "languages" "music", etc.)
                  3. Remove yourself from the list.

                  Really, I hate to be rude back, but we all have the right to converse, and just because you are frustrated doesn't mean we must all stop sharing information and our opinions.

                  Lady Brighid

                  On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 00:12:54 EDT atterlep@... writes:
[...]

                • Anthony J. Bryant
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5 7:30 PM
                    N B wrote:

                    > if I hit a title on "Effingham's Bum" I want to
                    > see his Bum ;)

                    Um... no. You wouldn't....

                    Effingham