FW: [Authentic_SCA] Ethnic Medieval Music

  • Stephen Higa
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2000
      Doña Teleri,

      I got this reply from the North African music guy...sorry it's not that
      helpful, but you might find something in that book and the recording. Of
      course, the Cantigas won't be much help (you're looking for non-Christian
      music, right?), but the recording should be of use.

      Moshe
      --------------------------
      Todo callado, todo 'stava'n silencio,
      Como la nuve'n a la escuridad.
      "Miseravle! Porqué vienes agora
      Arecordarme del mal que yo pasí,
      Arecordarme de toda la mi vida?"
      --anon. sefardí

      ----------
      From: "Fernan Cobian" <gaiteru@...>
      To: "Stephen Higa" <mitsuo@...>
      Subject: RE: FW: [Authentic_SCA] Ethnic Medieval Music
      Date: Sun, Nov 5, 2000, 6:46 PM

      Shalom Stephen,

      Sorry, I don't know a specific resource for Medieval festival music. When
      it comes to Medieval festival music all I could think of is a few tunes
      from the Cantigas de Santa Maria. Joseph F. O'Callaghan has referenced this
      in his book 'Alfonso and the Cantigas de Santa Maria'(ISBN 90-04-11023-2).
      Unfortunately he does not provide the music, only the reference.
      I picked up a cool CD, 'Music of the Oriental Jews from North Africa ,
      Yemen & Bukhara' from Arc Music Int.These are field recordings made in 1957
      by ethnomusicologist Deben Bhattacharya. I picked it up at Virgin music
      store, and the recordings are great.
      Take care,

      Fernan Cobian

      <flautista@...>