Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Hats, was Digest Number 715

  • Ariane Helou
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2001
      Rashid wrote:
      >Fir Elizabethan hairdos, you don't need super-long hair. You need
      >enough volume to get some puff in the front, and long enough in the
      >back to pull into a bun or pony tail. Here are a few options:
      >
      >Pull everything back into a bun or ponytail except a very generous
      >bangs section. Put a net on ponytail to helop it stay like a bun.
      >Bun should be rather low on head. Frizz the dickens out of the bangs
      >with a small diameter curling iron. Spray. The whole bang section
      >should look like a poodle puff.

      Do you mean I have to cut bangs, or I should just part my hair as if I
      did? I think that, even frizzed, the "bangs" would reach to my chin ;-p

      >Part hair from ear to ear. <snip> This type of style works best on curly
      >or frizzy hair, but it can be
      >done with straight hair if you use the curling iiron and enough hair
      >spray. My daughter's hair is poker straight, and we get this to work
      >for her.

      Cool :-) My hair's weird, though. It's not totally straight - it has a
      bit of a natural wave or curl to it, but it's also very very fine. So it
      hates to stay in curls, or braids, or whatever without massive amounts of
      gel/hairspray. I would love to give one of these styles a try - they sound
      really cool. But the caul sounds like a lower-maintenance option :-)

      Vittoria
    • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2001
        At 09:52 AM 11/1/2001 -0800, you wrote:
        I would love to give one of these styles a try - they sound
        really cool.  But the caul sounds like a lower-maintenance option :-)

        Hairstyles are cool.  Cauls take two seconds.

        Smiles,
        Despina de la does both

      • Sarah Michele Ford
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2001
          On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 wodeford@... wrote:

          > Oh to be ambidextrous and have eyes in the back of my head. Or just
          > have a proper lady in waiting to produce non-lopsided coiffures for
          > me.....

          Wouldn't your hair cover up those extra eyes?

          Can't disagree with the ambidextrous or the lady in waiting part,
          though...

          Alianor

          Sarah Michele Ford
          /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
          aka Alianor of Ravenglass
          aka the Dark Melm of Sith
          ---------------------------
          sarah@...
          \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
        • wodeford@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2001
            > Hairstyles are cool. Cauls take two seconds.

            Oh to be ambidextrous and have eyes in the back of my head. Or just
            have a proper lady in waiting to produce non-lopsided coiffures for
            me.....

            Jehanne
          • Keri, Thyre, Mariah
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2001
              Hello,

              Just to add my two cents in...

              Depending on how authentic you want to be becareful of sumptuary laws.
              Depending on the time frame and the part of Italy there were laws against
              wearing fake hair.

              Lady Thyre of Andovere
              (Hats and hair are my "thing")

              On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 19:33:41 -0600, Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              > At 10:54 PM 10/30/01 +0000, you wrote:
              >
              > >Well, here's another late-period lady in search of suggestions,
              > >rather than offering them. I am certain I don't have the millinery
              > >skill to make the kind of hat I'd like to wear, and I haven't seen
              > >any I liked for sale. But neither do I have hair long enough to do
              > >much with...it's just past shoulder length, which means it's not so
              > >short that I have to hide it but it's not long enough to do anything
              > >cool with.
              >

              > Fake hair, ie, fake braids, falls, etc, will give you the ability to do
              any
              > number of cool braided hair styles.
              >
              > Brigit Olesdottir
              > (and really, the reason I keep my hair almost waist length isn't JUST
              > because its period)

              --Lady Thyre of Andovere

              Send a cool gift with your E-Card
              http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/
            • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 1, 2001
                At 01:57 PM 11/1/2001 -0800, you wrote:
                Depending on the time frame and the part of Italy there were laws against
                wearing fake hair.

                Lady Thyre of Andovere
                (Hats and hair are my "thing")

                Really?  Now that's one I hadn't heard of before.  Please tell us more.  Dangling tidbits only gets you pulled into the fray, dear. *grin*

                Smiles,
                Despina

              • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 1, 2001
                  At 08:29 AM 11/1/2001 -0600, you wrote:
                  >At 07:30 PM 10/31/2001 -0600, you wrote:
                  >>I do empathize on the hat thing though.. there are periods where I love the
                  >>clothes, but won't wear them because I hate the hats! (German comes to mind)
                  >
                  >Oh, but I LOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE the Germans, particularly for their
                  >hats! I'm trying to figure out how to make this one in particular with
                  >the ostrich feathers going straight up from the center and they're really
                  >tall and the hat is beautiful and..... and..... and....... can you tell I
                  >love the Germans and their hats?
                  >
                  >Despina de la has to make something new soon.......

                  Actually, a fellow from Ealdormere named Tempus Perigrinator (sp?) has done
                  one of those successfully. You might want to check with him...

                  http://www.pipcom.com/~tempus/ It looks like he's having problems with his
                  site right now but you could email him.

                  Cheers,
                  Gwendoline
                • Kate
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 2, 2001
                    M'lord acts as my lady in waiting, he's very good with his hands
                    <grin> so fancy hairstyles are no problem.
                    Kate