Re: Elizabethan underwear/clothing in general

  • rowengr@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 38 , Nov 1, 2001
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Danielle Nunn-Weinberg <dannw@m...> wrote:
      > Keep in mind that in Elizabethan thinking,
      > sleeves were what you used to "mix & match." There are paintings
      with
      > closed skirts and sleeves that contrast the gown. Besides, sleeves
      are a good way to show of expensive fabric without the expense of a
      full gown (similar concept to the forepart).

      I've uploaded a picture of a piece of crewel-work fabric I bought
      recently. I think it should be about enough for a pair of sleeves -
      reasonable, or too gaudy? (I haven't actually seen the piece yet, but
      I gather the color in the picture isn't quite right, so it may be hard
      to tell.)

      Rowen
    • Lisa
      Message 38 of 38 , Nov 5, 2001
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Danielle Nunn-Weinberg <dannw@m...> wrote:

        > >Umm - I knew you'd get me for this <G>.
        >
        > Yup. : )
        >
        > >I mean a skirt without an underskirt showing. That makes better
        > >sense, I hope.
        >
        > LOL! Ah, I usually just refer to them as closed front skirts. I'm
        sure
        > it's less confusing to people who don't know that foreparts are the
        highly
        > decorated (or out of rich fabric) roughly triangular shaped panels
        attached
        > (seem to be usually pinned or tied) to the front of a kirtle skirt
        (usually
        > of a less valuable fabric) used to fill in the area of the open
        fronted
        > skirts. : ) Or did I just confuse the issue further?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Gwendoline

        Nope, my dear you were the soul of clarity.

        How did you get on with the button?

        I finally managed to get a baby silver pomander, supposed to be a
        16th century replica. It's smaller than I thought it was, but very
        sweet. Unfortunately the retailer has deleted the pics off the
        auction before I got a chance to save them.

        Lisa